Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: supercharged 5.9?

Registered

Post supercharged 5.9?

I am thinking of supercharging my 5.9....any suggestions on how I should go about this?

You have two options: the Paxton centrifugal supercharger or the Kenne-Bell supercharger. Either will provide an increase of about 100hp over stock. Performance will be something like 0-60 in 5.6secs, and 1/4 mile in 14.2secs @ 97.0mph. Cost? Somewhere around $4500 plus installation.

1992 XJ 4.6L "Poor Man's" Stroker
    202rwhp @ 4700rpm (248bhp)
    258rwtq @ 3400rpm (311lbft)
    1/4 mile: 14.63 @ 94.4, 3450lb curb
    AX15, NP231, D30/D35
    Jeep Performance, Jeep Tech, Junker to Stroker

Registered

thanks Dino, but where do I got to get the parts and is there anywhere in Chicago that will install it for me, my friend could do it, but he put a 200 shot of NOS on his '93 Grand Cherokee and the engine was destroyed.

Registered

if i were you i would look for a used supercharger you can find them if you look hard enough it will save you a bundle!!
    87' YJ with a 350 block hugger headers too dual purple hornies. 4" susp. lift 2" body. 35" Boggers soon too be.

00' Ford Lightning --Air Intake- System-Pioneer 7200 deph-2 Kicker comp Vr 10" subs powered by a Fosgate 800 Watt amp.

Question

What about an ATI Procharger? I was looking at one of those for a while until I sat back and realized that I didn't have the cash to put into it. However, I was told that it would add 150 hp. Any thought on that?

Brian
    Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    Turbo City Dual Air Intake, Mopar Performance ECU, Kolak Ignition Upgrade, Jet Performance 180* thermostat, Clifford Concept 600 alarm w/ remote start and remote windows, Eibach lowering springs, Edlebrock IAS Shocks, Addco front and rear upgraded sway bars, Energy greasable sway bar bushings, OME SD40 Stabilizer, Phantom radar & laser detector/jammer, Stillen cross-drilled brake rotors, Performance Friction pads on front, Stillen Metal Matrix Pads rear, Konig Villian 17X8" wheels, Toyo Proxes S/T tires, Rancho brushguard, window tinting, removed roof rack, relocated IAT sensor, and twin Kicker 10" bass tubes.

I e-mailed Kenne Bell and they said they don't have anything for the 5.9L

------------------
    1998 5.9L Grand Cherokee Limited.
    Deep Slate and loaded.
    • K&N FIPK 2
    • Mopar Performance PCM/ 180 T-stat
    • Up Country, OME SS
    1986 CJ-7, SOA, '97 4.0L, tera 4:1, 4.56, lockers, 10" stretch, etc......

Registered

5.9Lghost there is more than 2 chargers. you could try paxton, and powerdyne. unless you have a race engine never go over a 150 shot. another thing if you go only 14.2 in the quarter that is very bad and only 97mph? what the f&)*(&)(!! i ran 14.5 in a 5.2 with very little work. i will tell you a package that will have your truck at closer to 13.9 for less money and time and more reliable. now i love me some supa! charga! but if speed and reliability and of course money is your goal give this a try. i am first generation american so work with me. first, a cam that is all purpose, why because if you get one for high end you might run out of track before it kicks in. two, new ported and polished aluminum heads, better compression and better heat handling. three, new computer to handle all the new goodies. four new manifold handles more air and other stuff too long to explain. five, new 53mm ported throttle body more air flow. six, k&n or mopar air filter kit. seven, aluminum roller rockers and you could also go with the 1.7 stuff. eight, headers and a 3 in header back system, not cat back, you are going to replace the cat also with a 3 inch replacement. to be continued...
    sold: 1998 jeep grand cherokee w/408 stroker with all of the trimmings.

Registered

Cool

doesn't a 5.9 give up low end torque with a 3 inch exhaust system?

You can match the outputs of a supercharged but otherwise stock 5.9 (345hp/420lbft) by carrying out bolt-on performance mods on a normally-aspirated 5.9 engine. Here's a list of what can be done:

K&N FIPK: 16hp
    Mopar ECU + Kolak 3" catn'back + Mike Leach headers/Y-pipe: 40hp
    Kolak ignition upgrade + high output coil: 4hp
    Fastman TB 11hp
    Speedtweaks IAT adjuster 7hp

With the above mods, the 5.9 will put out about 310hp. Now the big stuff:

Magnum R/T ported heads: 35hp
    MPI intake: At least 20hp
    Camshaft: Depends on profile
    Paxton supercharger 100hp/75lbft
    Nitrous Express kit 50-150hp

If you install the Paxton supercharger after adding heads, intake and cam, the 5.9 could be producing close to 500hp at the flywheel and get your ZJ into the low 12's for the 1/4 mile. With nitrous on top of that, you're into the 11's.

1992 XJ 4.6L "Poor Man's" Stroker
    202rwhp @ 4700rpm (248bhp)
    258rwtq @ 3400rpm (311lbft)
    1/4 mile: 14.63 @ 94.4, 3450lb curb
    AX15, NP231, D30/D35
    Jeep Performance, Jeep Tech, Junker to Stroker

Registered

you can get crazy power by knifing a high performance crank, light weight pistons and rods that are forged aluminum. last but not least fuel. if you run Cam2 otherwise known as 110 octane you can get 500HP without a supercharger. before you spend crazy loot on all of my mods, you might want to look for a Hemi from a junk yard (600HP+) with little work. by the way this is part 2. i have raced a 5.2L with a super charger at 6psi and won easily. as for a 5.9L supercharge look for me at the track and lets give it a go.

Registered

Wink

ladies, ladies. Several Months ago I was deciding whether to build up my new motor or add a supercharger. I decided to do both. Yes, it makes a #$%^load of horsepower. CLose to 600hp at the flywheel. The problem is that this is a fulltime 4wd truck with the gearing to go along with it. It's like pushing a brick through the air. I have not run it yet but am pretty sure the tranny will have problems. I had a new shift kit put in, carbon fiber clutches, and raised the line pressure for firmer shifts. Hope it holds. But the bottom line is that the 5.9 is a beefy motor. If sb chevy's can make so much hp, who is to stop the mopar sb which is bigger than the 350. Rock on.

------------------
    96 ZJ V8 Unlimited, fully loaded. Transplanted 360 bored .060" to 378ci, Keith Black hypereutectic pistons, custom ground mild Comp Cam, hi-tech pushrods, Magnum R/T Heads, ported and polished, 5 angle valve job, polished crank, Vortech T-Trim supercharger @ 12psi, Mopar headers, Nitrous Express 25-50hp shot to cool supercharger down, Aluminum Mopar valve covers, magnaflow exhuast, true dual exhuast, no cats, no pinstripes,audi sidemarker, clear corners, Hotchkis 1" lowering suspension, Boyd Coddington polished Billet wheels 17 X 8, Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/50, Pioneer Deh p8000r, Diamond audio, Rockford Fosgate 400a4, 500a2, Custom switchplate, dual gauge pods- nitrous, boost, fuel, air/fuel, MSD 6BTM Custom carbon fiber dash being made.

Registered

Hey NX, can I just ship you off my Jeep for awhile. I figure you are going to be bored as hell now. I will even let you mod my Jeep free of charge. Normally it is somewhere around $25 a day charge for this entertainment. Just let me know, I am just looking out for ya man.
    Rumble

Registered

NXtremeJeep you are the only sane person here for power. your jeep is killer. is anyone tired of the same quote for power every time? the same calculator for power.

Registered

I am still waiting to hear from ATI concerning a kit for our Jeeps. According to their website, there was supposed to be a kit available for Dodge 5.2/5.9 in the fall of 2001 (since changed to winter 2001) which perhaps could be made to fit our Jeeps.

Their typical hp gains seem to be around 55-60% (judging by the propaganda on their website), which would really rock if it were true.....

Side note - could a person make an eaton type blower work on the 5.9? - they are forever available on e-bay...

Also - I have an e-mail into Blower Drive Service, as their website advertises kits for late model AMC 360's. Hmmmm....probably need a new hood!

I did pursue the Kenne-Bell thing a few times myself, and finally got it out of them that they do not make a kit for ZJ's because:

a)not enough room under the hood (so get a bigger hood!)

b) not enough demand (had a hard believing that one - why is there demand now for a WJ kit then?)

Big D

------------------
    95 Laredo - Lots of Goodies
    98 5.9 Ltd - Flo-Pro Muffler..PCM and FIPK coming

[This message has been edited by Big D (edited 01-06-2002).]
    96 7.4L Sub - Headers, dual exhaust, Whipple Supercharger
    98 5.9 Ltd - Flo-Pro Muffler, PCM, FIPK

Registered

I have a 5.9 ZJ that has a Vortec SC making about 7-8psi. Its great but I am not finished yet. Let me explain what I have got, how I got there, and what it is I wound up with.

Started with a stock ZJ -

Added Vortec SQ supercharger kit for 96 Grand Cherokee. There is no kit for the 98 limited available. I was told it was because of limited interest, and because the overall product combination was not that great. The 5.9 stock computer is much more agressive (timming) than the 5.2L vehicle the kit was intended for - the result is a difficult to tune motor with the stuff that comes in the kit. Additionally some of the 98 underhood components are placed differently than the 96 (or the directions suck) so plan on having to dink around a bit.

I also had the stock computer customed programmed for the SC application - less timming more fuel.

I also have a Mopar Performance Computer which causes the engine to knock like crazy (surprise surprise).

I have a set of 24lbs FMS injectors but under boost the system is too rich.

Current status - I have a very fast ZJ that still requires some tunning (still have some spark knock at initial boost levels and incorrect mixture levels). The fuel management and spark retard are just to difficult to tune with the Vortec FMU and cockpit retard.

I have on order the new Split Second FTC which I hear will give the programmable control to manage this package without costing $2400 (FAST system).

Conclusion: If you go into this project with the components I have used consider it a hobby - you will need patients and plenty of money but it has been a lot of fun and I have learned a lot. I will keep interested parties posted on results.

Registered

So it sounds like I will be dropping a lot of cash if I go with a supercharger.....maybe I will just go with nitrous.

Registered

Smile

I wouldn't looose confidence in supercharging just because you have called the main marketers and "they" don't have a kit for your application. There are several small tuners out there that take the blower as marketed by Vortech, Paxton, Eaton, Wipple, Lychome, Procharger etc and machine the brackets, bend the tubing, assemble the parts list, develope a FMU and MAP for your vehicle.

There are so many different products out there that can be assembled in so many different configurations that you can get easily confused. I had two Vortech kits assembled by a tuner called Dynotunes out of Maple Grove, WI. You probably never heard of them before. These were merly a bunch of parts from different vendors assembled into a package that was developed and designed for my particular cars.

You need to really look around now for a small tuner who has done the design and developement on your type of vehicle rather than starting from scratch yourself. If you go through the brain damage of starting from scratch then YOU should market the results and sell kits as well. You will need to to recover the costs for supercharging your own vehicle.

I got lucky on my Jeep WJ and happend to come across Kenny Bell who is a large enough Tuner to be somewhat well known. Bell doesn't make the Twin Screw blower. The core is made by Wipple Industries. Bell just applies the blower to the WJ by assembling the kits. They do the research for particular cars they market.

Vortech actually markets their own blowers, they have kits for a limited line of cars that they are applicable to. Paxton does the same as Vortech, in fact Paxton and Vortech are under one company again.

Procharger, powerdyne and a few others have their own dealers as well. They market for a limited types of cars and/or trucks.

The rest of the tuners like Accurate, Rimmer, DynoTunes, Steeda, Saleen, etc. use the brand name parts and adapt to various models of their choosing.

Point is that supercharging is the safest cheapest and easiest way to get large amounts of HP/TQ from your stock engine.

Internal mods and basic hot roding like cams, heads, porting, manifolds, pistons, valve train mods, etc., are fine but cost alot more and take alot more time and don't always yeild the results you want. Plus everything is custome.

Nitrus is quick and cheap but dangerous both to you and the vehicle if you don't know what you are doing. Plus performance is sporatic and short lived and goes away when the bottle empties. It's either full on or full off.

Start calling around and talking to people. Look in the mags, check the web. You will find a small tuner that makes a kit for your car or at least get more names of tuners that might make a kit. I know for a fact that there is a company on the west coast that made a kit specifically for the 5.9/5.2 ZJ. I saw it in Motor Trend a couple of years ago. Some small obscure tuner.

Good Luck....

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 5.9Ghost:
    I am thinking of supercharging my 5.9....any suggestions on how I should go about this?</font>
    Current Car: '91 Audi 200 DOHC 20v Turbo Quattro, Prosche "Big Red" 993TT Brake Kit, Absolutly Cherry Car, She may be old but she AIN'T slow, 1 of 1500 imported to the US in '91 only for racing and SCCA Homologation, Currently Modding and working out the Turbo kinks for chipping
    *** ALL GONE ***
    2001 WJ,Laredo, QuadTracII,4.7L, V-8 Kenne Bell Supercharged, 298.3 HP@5500 RPM/311.5 TQ@4500 RPM at the wheels.
    2003 Ford Lightning PU, Dark Charcoal Grey, Granite interior, 23000 miles, PIAA, Clear Bra, Lowered rear, bed liner, Goodyear F-1's, XM radio, upgraded stereo with dynamat interior.
    2005 Audi S-4 Avant V-8....Gett'in Groceries FAST...Miltek cat back, Revo flash, BBS CH wheels, Stop Tech 13 1/2" big brakes, Neuspeed sway bars
    www.community.webshots.com/user/wjwheezer

Registered

Question

Interesting to hear that. God knows how many hours I have spent searching the web using the words "supercharger" and "Jeep"... to no avail....

Big D

------------------
    95 Laredo - Lots of Goodies
    98 5.9 Ltd - Flo-Pro Muffler..PCM and FIPK coming

[This message has been edited by Big D (edited 01-12-2002).]

Registered

Smile

I just pulled out Bell's catalogue, they make a kit for a '98-'99 Durango 5.2-5.9 TS7000-6-5.9DA. You might want to call and ask if it can be retrofitted for a ZJ and what mods need to be made. Might not work but it's worth a call. Also, go straight to the manufacturers and ask for dealer lists if you haven't already. Good Luck!
    Regards...Wheezer
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Big D:
    Interesting to hear that. God knows how many hours I have spent searching the web using the words "supercharger" and "Jeep"... to no avail....

Big D

</font>
    Current Car: '91 Audi 200 DOHC 20v Turbo Quattro, Prosche "Big Red" 993TT Brake Kit, Absolutly Cherry Car, She may be old but she AIN'T slow, 1 of 1500 imported to the US in '91 only for racing and SCCA Homologation, Currently Modding and working out the Turbo kinks for chipping
    *** ALL GONE ***
    2001 WJ,Laredo, QuadTracII,4.7L, V-8 Kenne Bell Supercharged, 298.3 HP@5500 RPM/311.5 TQ@4500 RPM at the wheels.
    2003 Ford Lightning PU, Dark Charcoal Grey, Granite interior, 23000 miles, PIAA, Clear Bra, Lowered rear, bed liner, Goodyear F-1's, XM radio, upgraded stereo with dynamat interior.
    2005 Audi S-4 Avant V-8....Gett'in Groceries FAST...Miltek cat back, Revo flash, BBS CH wheels, Stop Tech 13 1/2" big brakes, Neuspeed sway bars
    www.community.webshots.com/user/wjwheezer

Registered

Talking

I did try Kenne-Bell a number of times. Each time they simply told me they did not make a kit and left it at that. It took an e-mail before they finally gave me the reasons why. So they obviously have not done one or have plans.

The only other hope is RW Automotive somewhere in California. RW stands for Ron Weaver - the owner I presume of this speed shop. I see their vehicles quite a bit in "Today's SUV". Unfortunately when I tried to contact him I got an answering machine and no return call - so that avenue is dead for now.

Big D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast