Thread: Greaseable Double Cardan Centering Ball - Anarchy

Registered

Thumbs up Greaseable Double Cardan Centering Ball - Anarchy

There was some discussion earlier in the week about a greasable centering ball in the front drive shaft's double cardan joint. I told Anarchy I would post later with some info.

Below are two pics, the one showing an exploded view of the CV (double cardan) joint with all of the necessary components. Please note where the grease fitting is and where the plug in the back of the centering ball yoke should be (if needed). On my '98 the plug was not there, leaving the centering ball to lose it's grease and allowing dirt, moisture, and grit to get in.

I had to install a 1/8" NPT socket head pipe plug into the existing hole (after threading it) and drilled and tapped a 10-32 hole for the mini grease fitting as shown in the other pic.

You can buy these ready made centering ball yokes from NEAPCO or any other driveline company complete with the grease fitting.

It sure makes it easier to lubricate that front drive shaft now that everything has a fitting.

Just passing on the info .....

Len

------------------
    98 JGC Pearl Amesthyst,I6 Select Trac,front tow hooks,rear shackle, mopar skids, rear trac loc, westin safari bar, mopar bug deflector, greasable U-Joints all around, class IV trailer hitch, K&N drop in, more to come ....

_/____\_
    (0IIIIIII0)
    .[]----[].
    Stock 98 JGC 4.0 Select Trac

Registered

Great writeup! Thanks for taking the time to post this.

I replaced a front driveshaft partially because the centering ball mechanism was shot.
    Jason 'Rocker' Ward
    '94 White 5.2 Limited 6.5" Lift: 4.5 RE + 1.75" spacers from Anthony, 32x11.5 BFG M/T, 242 tcase, Clayton's Hard Rockers, Rusty's TC skid, Tie Rod, Custom front driveshaft, u-joint axle shafts, 4' Firestick II antenna (/w quick disco), Cobra 75WXST, No-Slip Rear, Gearless front locker, ARB front bumper, Warn HS9500 - sold

'99 Chilipepper Red TJ sport
    D60/D44, 4.56 /w ARBs, 4.5" RE/custom longarm lift, 36" SXs on MRT beadlocks, Blulletproof bumpers, Ramsey Platinum winch, OBA, MORE bolt-in cage, Tomkin engine skid, Kilby gas skid, Schrockworks sliders, IPF SuperRallys, underlights

Indiana JeepThing Member

Citizen

I wouldn't install the solid plug in the back where you have shown. That is actually a vent hole to allow for expansion/contraction and even assembly (air escape). I recall it is only ~1/8" diameter, just a pee hole really for excess grease to escape. If the joint is properly lubed and assembled, that small opening is the least of your worries.
    Look at it this way. If you are pumping grease in, you need somewhere for the entrapped air and old grease to escape. Better through the vent hole than past the lip seal at the other end.
    Just my opinion though.

Another good tip though is in choice of u-joints. Get the ones with the grease fitting in the end cap. Far easier to grease then trying to snake up through to the center cross. I actually remove the fitting, and use a needle adapter on the grease gun to in effect have the grease enter at the center anyways, pumping out 'equally' in the 4 directions. Then install a plug.
    Tiggers

Registered

Wink

Good point Tigger on that small hole in the back of the yoke.

I too have installed the u joints with the grease fitting in the cap. Much easier to lube.

Registered

Here are the two types of u joints with greasable fittings. One goes through the cap, as can be seen attached to the front driveshaft, while the other has a zerk fitting in the center of the cross (much more difficult to lube)

There is also a jeep website I located with a lot of great info.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/u-joint-1.htm

Len

[This message has been edited by jeepo (edited 03-08-2002).]

[This message has been edited by jeepo (edited 03-08-2002).]

Victim of Circumstance HighDesertZJ's Avatar

Hey Jeepo,
    Thanks for the info. Nice post.