Thread: Coolant smell

Registered

Coolant smell

I'm getting a weird funny smell in the air that smells like coolant, any ideas what it is ??

------------------
    1994 Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8,K&N FIPK II,Mopar Performance ECU,Custom Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust with Gibson slash cut tips,Accel plugs and cap, Mopar Performance wires,Addco front and rear sway bars,Tokico shocks,Eibach springs(1" drop front and rear),Crossed drilled front rotors,front clear lights,some lightening of body and interior,painted black grill (instead of ugly chrome)carbon fiber trim,full tint all around,Weathertech (deep rubber floormats,cargo liner,Bugfector, Weatherflectors),upgradedaudio(JVC head unit,MA Audio 800-watt Amplifier,Planet Audio component speakers,(2) MA Audio 10" subwoofers in full range box), Mopar Magnum valve covers, Viper remote start, plus keyless entry, window opening, alarm, and rear hatch opening, deleted red & white stripes...

COMING SOON: Possible new heads or engine,supercharger, Kolak exhaust,headers
    ***1994 Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8,K&N FIPK II,Mopar Performance ECU,Custom Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust with Gibson slash cut tips,Accel plugs and cap, Mopar Performance wires,Addco front and rear sway bars,Tokico shocks,Eibach springs(1" drop front and rear),Crossed drilled front rotors,front clear lights,some lightening of body and interior,painted black grill (instead of ugly chrome)carbon fiber trim,full tint all around,Weathertech (deep rubber floormats,cargo liner,Bugfector, Weatherflectors),upgradedaudio(JVC head unit,MA Audio 800-watt Amplifier,Planet Audio component speakers,(2) MA Audio 10" subwoofers in full range box), Mopar Magnum valve covers, Viper remote start, plus keyless entry, window opening, alarm, and rear hatch opening, deleted red & white stripes, Mopar rear air deflector***
    (At the shop getting new heater core, replacing window switch, white faced indiglo gauges with blue and green backlight, new battery terminal ends,
    fixing rattle in window, coolant flush)

-Meredes-Benz S500, White, Beige interior,5.0 V8, rubber floormats, otherwise stock

-2001 Mercedes-Benz ML320, 3.2 V6, rubber floormats, black sidesteps, otherwise stock

**Mercedes-Benz SL500, 5.0 V8, completely restored, $5000 paintjob, showroom condition, 18" AMG rims on 18" Pirelli low profile tires, front clear turn singals with Xenon headlights ($2000 headlights), and updated tail lights, looks like a 1998-2001, !FOR SALE! **ASKING $30,000**

Victim of Circumstance HighDesertZJ's Avatar

Probably ethylene glycol.

Registered

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 5.2 Beast:
    I'm getting a weird funny smell in the air that smells like coolant, any ideas what it is? </font>
    If you smell it inside the jeep with the windows closed, it might be a rotton heater core. Does it get stronger when you turn on the heater?

I started smelling coolant while idling at a stoplight with the windows down about 2 weeks before the water pump shaft seal gave out.

I get a very faint coolant smell a minute or two after I shut off the engine. It appears to be just steam from the coolant overflow bottle. Check for residue around the bottle cap and that might be it.

Look down around the thermostat housing and check for dried residue or coolant pooling in the intake manifold.

------------------
    Brian
    '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, Stone White, V8, Upcountry, tow pkg.
    '02 Mercedes-Benz SLK32 AMG, Firemist Red
    Brian
    '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
    '02 Mercedes-Benz SLK32 AMG
    '09 Chrysler 300 Touring
    '14 Toyota Highlander LE Plus

Registered

It might be the heater core or it might be the coolant overflow tank.

Some jerk used a screwdriver to get the cap off mine and damaged the tank so that coolant sloshes out sometimes. The hood/firewall seal leaks enough to let the smell get into the windshield base air intakes and them into the interior.

It had me thinking about replacing the heater core until I found it.

bildan
    '94 JGC Ltd. 5.2 V8 IAS, Michelin M/S Flowkooler, hi-flow thermostat, 3-core radiator, NP242 TC.

Registered
    Do you windows fog with the defrost on ?
    Is there coolant leaking just below the fire wall on the right side (dripping on the ground - look for a black tube) ? Thats the drain for the Heater - A/C housingThen the heater core leaking.
    Like the others said, you may have a leak around the engine compartment. This smell may come in thru the cowl intake for the cabin air. Check the rubber seal above the fire wall that seals to the hood. These come off all the time.
    If its the heater core be prepaired. Practically the whole dash has to come out on the right side, to get the a/c - heater air box out. You will have to evacuate the a/c system, drain a little out of the cooling system. Its best to have the factory service manual to aid this removal. All this for a $45 part.
    Why they could not have made the heater core drop out without removing the complete assemembly, I'll never know. So many other MFG's are doing that.

------------------
    Just Jeeps
    97' ZJ and 01' TJ
    With Custom Built
    Parts...More in the works !
    www.c4x4.com
    2001 TJ Sport
    3.5 RE Custom Super Flex, 33" MT/R's, Skids, Poison Spider, Kilby, Custom Mods.. Always more in the works!
    Red Rock 4x4 Rocks !
    Need Him ?