Thread: Any harm in using zip ties for CV boot retainers?

Registered

Question Any harm in using zip ties for CV boot retainers?

Keep the flames to yourself....

I now know that it takes a special tool to clamp down the metal rings on CV boots. Having destroyed one, would Bellsouth issue zip ties work to hold the boots? I can get these things gorilla tight, and not have to worry about them breaking. I figure since the force is not on the boot rim, more just a seal, then it might be ok. Better than nothing at least. What do you guys think?
    95 ZJ 5.2L V8
    Stillens, Kolak Ignition
    30x9.5 MT's

Victim of Circumstance HighDesertZJ's Avatar

You must have THE tool to get them real tight. I can't see any reason not to use them.

I think we debated this a while back so you may find something with a search. Is it the small or large clamp?

I always wondered about clearance. Will the zip tie clear the housings? Can you really install it and get it tight way up in there? I think I looked and it looked tough to get in there.

------------------
    Charlie
    '94 ZJ, 5.2 w/FIPK, Kolak Ignition & Exhaust, Stillen Rotors, Tera BB

Registered

I did a search and didn't find any debate. I'll look again. I do think it would clear the knuckle (it's the outer) , I've got some that will lay flat, so I don't think I'll have anything to worry about. I'd have to take out the shaft to get them on, but that wouldn't take that long given I wouldn't be replacing the boot or anything. Keep the info coming....
    95 ZJ 5.2L V8
    Stillens, Kolak Ignition
    30x9.5 MT's

I would worry about heat and exposure making the plastic brittle over time. The metal ones are stainless. There must be a reason they use stainless. Over time I would guess the plastic would become brittle and more likely to crack under the constant heating / cooling cycle.

Registered

we used zip ties for the boot on my friends pathfinders CV boot all around (anything that could be tied down we did) and it lasted until he got a whole new axleshaft about 4 months later...
    97 ZJ 318 HP30 D44 35MT M8000

Registered
    From a small village. Nothing's available and it's all overpriced.

Zip ties are just fine. Better than a couple types of supplied boot clamps. You already know to get it tight. Watch for escaping grease for a while.

-Dave
    My zj
    '94 Grand Laredo, 4.0L, Tera lift, 32" Swampers on Allied wheels, Kevin's Sliderz, Leach Headers, other stuff.

Registered
    From a small village. Nothing's available and it's all overpriced.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rob:
    I would worry about heat and exposure making the plastic brittle over time. The metal ones are stainless. There must be a reason they use stainless. Over time I would guess the plastic would become brittle and more likely to crack under the constant heating / cooling cycle.</font>
    Not all CV boots come with metal clamps. There's at least one plastic kind that is no better than a very poor zip-tie. Use a quality tie, get it tight, and they're fine.

-Dave
    My zj
    '94 Grand Laredo, 4.0L, Tera lift, 32" Swampers on Allied wheels, Kevin's Sliderz, Leach Headers, other stuff.

Registered

I used zip ties on mine when I had CV's, they only lasted a year or so Just get 'em tight.

Patrick
    94 ZJ with M416 trailer
    4.5" hybrid, 33 MT/R's, Rev D30, Ford 9" w/31 splines, lockers, Atlas II, Premier Powerwelder w/175 amp alt, Warn 9.5XP with rope, lights, dual batts, and York OBA....
    M416 Trailer (modified)

Registered

What color are the plastic ties? Are they nylon ties? If they're nylon and they're clear, they'll be deteriorated by a lot of stuff like sunlight (believe it or not) and high temperatures. I think nylon straps are good to about 160F, maximum, and black-colored nylon straps are much more resistant to sunlight deterioration.

I'm imagining that the straps will cause the boot to wrinkle. As you tighten the strap, you'll be pulling on the rubber too.

Sounds like some people have had some success with using them though. If it were me, I'd pay very close attention to them and probably worry about them a lot. Peace of mind will cost you about $20 for the clamp and pliers.

Registered

I went to Pepboys, bought the tool ($16 bucks) and returned it when I was done, its just a rigged plier thats all
    JucinGTA<<<< Banned for Some Reason

I'd go with the metal clamp. The zip ties will leave a gap where the to ends meet. The metal clamp aplies pressure evenly all the way around.