Thread: Tallest ZJ with stock control arms?

Registered

Cool Tallest ZJ with stock control arms?

What is the tallest lift anyone is running with stock control arms? I have 3.5" springs, and am considering adding a BB. What are the other issues that will come into play with a 5.5" lift?

------------------
    black 98 ZJ, 3.5" lift,Rancho 5000's + steering stabilizer,
    32x11.50x15 Uniroyal Laredo M/T's,130w KC's, Kevin's dirt cheap control arm skids, 4x doctor front diff skid,
    Mopar t-case skid, Midland 40 channel cb
    Detroit EZ locker in the rear
    Black ZJ, 3.5" Tuff Country lift + 2" Daystar BB,JKS Quicker Disconnects, upper shock conversions, and bar pin eliminators, Rancho 5000's + steering stabilizer,
    5-33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR's on black Rockcrawlers, Kevin's Lp-1
    Rock Sliderz, and dirt
    cheap control arm skids, 4xdoctor front diff skid,
    Rubicon Express adjustable front trackbar, 4 adjustable lower super-flex and 2 adjustable upper rear super-flex control arms
    Mopar t-case skid, Midland 40 channel cb
    Detroit EZ locker in the rear, Turbo City
    airtube+ K&N, custom Hunter Offroad front winch bumper with 2 8" 130w Pro Comp and 2 5" 55w Pro Comp lights, Rocklights, front YJ brake hoses, Surco roof rack, Steelhorse cargo rack to keep fullsize spare inside, Kolak catback system, and Banks header.
    My ZJ Photos
    AZ Virtual Jeep Club

Registered

I know of people that had ~5" with stock arms. The problem is how much closer to vertical your arms get.. Will it work sure. I know a guy that did some serious four wheeling trips with those stock arms and that height.

Homebrewer

There are a couple of guys running with that setup and I would try it but there are bigger problems that come into play.

Driveshaft lenght
    tranny breather tube
    extended brake lines, front
    trackbars front and rear
    extended swaybar lengths
    DW

there are more and I would recomend getting this all in place before lifting the rig to 5 or so. Best bet would be to stay around 4.5.

This is what I am doing, but I am getting all the adj. UC's before the install.

Chris
    My new toy 96 XJ Country, 4.5" RC lift with protection.

****SOLD****96 ZJ White, 4.0L, 4 1/2 lift,

Lewybrewing Homebrewing Blog

Registered
    From a small village. Nothing's available and it's all overpriced.

At that height it works better offroad than on. The arms get very vertical which doesn't work well for absorbing bumps up front. The bushings will wear quickly and you'll hate the ride. Your tires will move in very close to the doors. Adjustables help tires and pinion angles but not the ride. The real fix is long arms.

-Dave
    My zj
    '94 Grand Laredo, 4.0L, Tera lift, 32" Swampers on Allied wheels, Kevin's Sliderz, Leach Headers, other stuff.

Registered

I think Nate Cannon, aka Gone Jeepin', aka Cannonball, is at 5.5" or so wth stock arms and 35's. Try a search on one of those names.
    97 GC TSi
    4.0/Q-Trac
    Black/Agate leather
    3" Rancho springs
    RE Adj. Front TB
    JKS Adj. Rear TB
    245/75R16 Cooper Discoverer S/T
    Mopar Skids & Hooks
    Kevin's Sliderz
    OME SD40
    Doetsch Tech 8000's
    http://community.webshots.com/user/mike97zj

Registered

I was stock arms for a little while but went to adjustables I'm maybe a little over 5" lift. It wasn't bad with stock arms but I needed adjustables when I went to the 8.8 out back. I'd say 4.5 or so, that is if you have the U-jointed front shaft.
    -Nate

------------------
    95 ZJ 35's locked |CU 4 Wheeling club
    If ya ain't hackin' yer fenders, ya need bigger tires!
    Limited Slip is like sex with a condom, it just doesn't really work

Registered

I am at 6" front with only skyjacker lower arms and about 5" rear with all stock and I havent had any problems. I test-flexed it disco'd and the brake lines were fine. It probably isn't the best ride in the world but I have a friend who had a 6" ZJ and says mine rides much better than his did and he had all 8 adj. so I guess it kinda varies. I am also running 31s still and I think rear arms would be needed to run anythign bigger.

flexing:

------------------
    96 green 4.0 Laredo ZJ-custom charcoal/camel leather - 5"RE,Tera,JKS,skyjacker lift - 31"TrXus tires - 2 165W KC, 4 Hella 500 - custom K&N intake, custo stereo
    http://photos.yahoo.com/beedubya4
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...a=13585837&f=0
    96 Green
    4.0-->5.9L swap
    5.5" 33x12.50 MTR
    mods and specs here
    more Green Machine pics

Registered
    Home: Chicago/ College: University of Dayton, Ohio

I'm at 4.5" with stock arms. The ride is fine, but with adjustables I'm sure it will be better. Plus the flex should be better as well.

------------------
    '97 TSi Loaded, 4.0L, Rusty's 4.5" Lift, Rubicon Express Adjustable Front Track Bar, Old Man Emu Long Travel Shocks, Teraflex Quick Disconnects, K&N Conicle Air-Filter, Full Mopar Skid Plates and Tow Hooks, 30" BFG All-Terrains, Clayton's HarkRockers, Old Man Emu SD40 Steering Stabilizer, Rock-It Air Intake from Turbo City, Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer, Custom Mesh Grill, Flowmaster 50 Series Cat-Back, Performance Ceramic Brake Pads, Full Tints

-Soon to Come-
    Adjustable Control Arms, ARB Bull Bar, 32" MTR's on Rockcrawler Rims