Thread: tried seach how do you know if vehicle has tow package to get correct wiring harness

Registered

Question tried seach how do you know if vehicle has tow package to get correct wiring harness

Just stopped at advance auto to grt valley hitch,theres two kind of harness's 55.oo with tow package or 90.00 w/out tow package.How do you tell which one you have look at door behind spare tire? THANKS.

------------------
    mydogtico@yahoo.com
    [list][*]97 GCL, I6[*]Rancho rs 5000 shocks[*]Tornado[*]KC Fogs[*]K&N Air Filter[*]Jenson CD Player[*]All Tint[*]vortex hi performance muffler
    [*]97 grand cherokee, Rancho rs 5000 shocks, vortex hi-flow muffler, hi-flow cat, k&n air filter, kc fogs, 3/4 daystar bb,30's,all tint.

Registered

The problem is i dont know if my jeep has a tow package.In order to get correct harness. Is there a way to tell by looking somewhere? On the computer at store 2 different wiring harness come up. Just dont know what to get.
    [*]97 grand cherokee, Rancho rs 5000 shocks, vortex hi-flow muffler, hi-flow cat, k&n air filter, kc fogs, 3/4 daystar bb,30's,all tint.

Registered

Few ways to tell....
    Do you have a tranny cooler?
    Do you have 3.73's?
    Or you can look behind the spare tire...you have to pull that whole pannel off, not just the little trap door....and you shall see the harness..
    Or get a build sheet from Jeep!

------------------
    * Stone White 5.9 * Clear Corners * Generation II K&N FIPK * Custom Stereo *
    LINKS BELOW
    CLICK HERE TO SEE: My Out Dated Web Site
    JEEP PICS & MORE: My Photo Album

Prior Jeep Resume:
    1998 TJ 4.0
    1996 ZJ 5.2
    IM BACK! with a 94 YJ I am re-doing
    2008 JK 4 Door
    2001 WJ V8
    1998 ZJ 5.9
    1998 TJ 4.0
    1996 ZJ 5.2

Registered

Look for an auxiliary trans cooler mounted behind the grill on the passengers side of the A/C Evaporator.

If you have the trans cooler, it is a good bet that you have the "Trailer Prep Group" that included everything but the hitch and wire to the hitch.

OR you could go to your local dealer service department and ask them to print off the build sheet for your vehicle. It will say if you have the trailer prep package or not.

HTH.

------------------
    Scott

96 ZJ Limited 5.2
    K&N
    Bosch Platinum +4's
    Crane Fire Wires
    Extended Warranty
    WJ Motorized Cell Phone Holder
    Scott

'05 WK Limited 5.7 TRADED for a SUBURBAN Z71!

SO LONG OLD FRIEND!

96 ZJ Limited, 5.2 Not Stock: SOLD
    93 ZJ Grand Wagoneer, 5.2 Stock: Traded on the 96

Registered

Here's how I just did a search to try to find info for your question:

Under "Search Words:" enter "trailer harness prep". Include the 2 spaces, but not the quotation marks.
    Just below check the button: "Match any of the search terms above".
    At "Search in", select "Subject Only". This is critical to focus the search.
    At "Search By Date:", use the default "Any Date".

First search Grand Cherokee Forum: 3/01 -8/01. You will get 52 hits.

Next search Grand Cherokee Forum: 8/01 -12/01. You will get 46 hits.

Search these 2 forums first, then others as your time permits.

You can experiment with other combinations of search words, but these three will get you meaningful results.

There is so much info, I cannot summarize what I found. If you do these searches, you can pick and choose info that applies to you.
    93 ZJ Ltd 4.0L, AW4, 242, 3.55
    95 ZJ Laredo 5.2L, 242, Up-Country, BFG 235/75R15XL Long Trail, Kolak 3" Exhaust
    63 Land Rover 88 RHD, Olds 350 V-8, T-400, Dana M-18. Gonna work on it next year.
    86 Buick GN (my economy car)

Registered

Matt I am trying to buy a wiring harness for a valley class 3 hitch. Just didnt know which harness to get. Have to see if mine has package.I hope so will save money.

Registered

Thanks everybody will help alot!Chuck all i did was put hitch under search couldnt find answer.wow you hit the jackpot! going to read all the posts for ideas.thanks

Registered

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eastsidezj:
    Thanks everybody will help alot!Chuck all i did was put hitch under search couldnt find answer.wow you hit the jackpot! going to read all the posts for ideas.thanks</font>
    I know I did a write up on it too...also a phone number and a part number in the archives for the Mopar Harness I got for like 40 bucks SHIPPED to my door! Search under my username....back a few archives I believe
    Good luck
    IM BACK! with a 94 YJ I am re-doing
    2008 JK 4 Door
    2001 WJ V8
    1998 ZJ 5.9
    1998 TJ 4.0
    1996 ZJ 5.2

Registered

eastsidezj-I'm kinda eastside myself, Braddock.
    95 ZJ Laredo 5.2L, 242, Up-Country, BFG 235/75R15XL Long Trail, Kolak 3" Exhaust
    63 Land Rover 88 RHD, Olds 350 V-8, T-400, Dana M-18. Gonna work on it next year.

Registered

Talking

Right on chuck ! im from plum,cousin lives in braddock too.

Registered

Cool. Good luck with your harness.