Thread: How do you remove the cowl on 2000 TJ????

Jeepless in Houston

Cool How do you remove the cowl on 2000 TJ????

As soon as it stops pissing outside, I need to go adjust the hood on my Jeep.
    The dealer f'd up the hood hinges, and had to replace them. Deerbrook Forest Jeep in Kingwood, Texas raised my Jeep on the hydraulic lift, with the hood up propped against my roof-rack lights, and rammed the hood up against the top of the hydraulic lift. Dumbf*cks. They had to replace the hood hinges and repaint the hood.

Anyway, they put the hood back on crooked. One of the rubber bands that hold down the hood is wearing because it's so crooked. I'm NOT taking it back to them to fix it. I told them to go to Hell, and I didn't trust them to fix it.

Soooo, I guess I just need to remove the cowl, and there will be some bolts holding down the other end of the hood hinges that can be adjusted??? Some of you guys that installed cowl snorkels said it wasn't that big of deal to remove it.

I just wanted some advice before I get tanked and decide to "give it my best shot" in the parking lot of my apartment complex!

Thanks!!!

RustyB

------------------
    RustyB
    2000 Sahara
    FOR SALE! I think??
    Details on my website below...
    clan-bryce.com
    Rusty
    1998 Mazda 626 Non-Jeep
    Future Home Of New Jeep Pictures

Registered

There are a few screws hidden underneath the rubber gasket that seals the cowling to the hood. Simply lift the gasket up and youll see em. One on each side of the cowlings front facing edge about 4 or 5 inches from the outer edge. Besure not to pinch your rubber hood seal when your putting the cowling back on, other wise water will run straight off the hood and down your firewall.

------------------
    2001 TJ 60th anniv edition,4.0 5sp,BFG KM's,american racing,teraflex,procomp,Rancho,Turbo city,Kilby,Challenger Performance,Goferit Products,Poweraid,B&M,Ox-Trak,Superior Gear,Magnaflow

http://members.aol.com/beachjeeptj/jeep2nov1001.jpg

[This message has been edited by BeachJeepTJ (edited 01-05-2002).]
    A good hard roll will ruin your whole day.

Jeepless in Houston

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BeachJeepTJ:
    There are a few screws hidden underneath the rubber gasket that seals the cowling to the hood. Simply lift the gasket up and youll see em. One on each side of the cowlings front facing edge about 4 or 5 inches from the outer edge. Besure not to pinch your rubber hood seal when your putting the cowling back on, other wise water will run straight off the hood and down your firewall.

</font>
    Thanks! I guess I could give it a shot! Removing a few screws shouldn't be beyond my expertise, most of the ones in my head are loose already! Thanks Budweiser!!
    BTW - Sweet pic in your sig! Is that a Silver Edition TJ, I guess that's what that little sticker says? Either way, I gotta post your pic, if ya don't mind! ....

Thanks!

RustyB

------------------
    RustyB
    2000 Sahara
    FOR SALE! I think??
    Details on my website below...
    clan-bryce.com

[This message has been edited by RustyB (edited 01-05-2002).]
    Rusty
    1998 Mazda 626 Non-Jeep

Registered

I really like that Jeep, looks good!

------------------
    99 TJ: NV4500, Atlas II, D60 Reverse Cut Front/High Clearance Steering, D60 Reverse Cut Rear/Disc Brakes, 39.5x18 Boggers
    98 Ram 2500: 24-Valve Turbo Diesel Quad Cab, DTT TC & VB, DD True Torque, 24ft Deckover Gooseneck
    51 TJ: Chevy 350TPI/NV4500/Atlas II, Coilover Suspension, 2.5ton Rockwells, 42x15" TSL
    02 Ram 2500: Cummins HO/NV5600/241HD, Dana 60 Front, Dana 80 Rear, 4.10 Gears/LSD

Registered

I'd like to know the size of the lift and the size of the tires on that silver TJ as well. I'd like to have mine at the same height and setup. Body Lift too?
    Mark Cooley

2000 White Sahara, bone stock--for now!!

Registered

Thanks for the compliments, yes its a 60th edition model..which in reality means you get the D44 in the rear,119 amp alt, a 60th year plate and that disco running board body work which I hope to replace with 4x4 Dr rocker gaurds.

------------------
    2001 TJ,4.0 5sp,D30/D44,BFG KM's,american racing,teraflex,procomp,Rancho,Turbo city,Kilby,Challenger Performance,Goferit Products,Poweraid,B&M,Ox-Trak,Superior Gear,Magnaflow

http://members.aol.com/beachjeeptj/jeep2nov1001.jpg

Registered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cooleyvol:
    I'd like to know the size of the lift and the size of the tires on that silver TJ as well. I'd like to have mine at the same height and setup. Body Lift too?[/QUOTE

32" BFG's PC 2" springs w/ 3/4 spacer in the front and a 1" BL

Registered

Thanks. Did you just cut the front bumper off to shorten it and then put the end pieces back on it? That TJ looks awesome.

So, you have a 2" suspension lift with a 1" Body lift?
    Did you raise the motor mounts or tranny mount?
    Mark Cooley

2000 White Sahara, bone stock--for now!!

Registered

He definitely did NOT put the end pieces back on. it looks like he cut it, but he left the little rubber buggy bumpers on.

It's a nice one though, for sure.

------------------
    99 TJ Sahara (5 Speed!)
    31"MT/R's, QuickAir, 2"OME lift, Kilby gas tank skid,
    and my custom made Hi-lift mount/light bar
    I NEED QUICKER DISCOS!!
    Pics
    From Long Island? Go here
    1999 TJ Sahara (5 Speed!) FOR SALE pretty much stock again. >>Pics<<
    1981 CJ7 - R.I.P. -
    From Long Island? click here.

Jeepless in Houston

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GriptrukTJ:
    He definitely did NOT put the end pieces back on. it looks like he cut it, but he left the little rubber buggy bumpers on.

It's a nice one though, for sure.

</font>
    Yeah, and his hood is straight, too. Probably has no reason to do anything like, say, hmmm, TAKE THE COWL OFF!!! J/K!

I still haven't gone outside to try it. The extent of my Saturday has been: Get out of bed to fix Jeep; look out window; crappy weather; drink a Bud; look out window; crappy weather; drink a Bud; look out window; crappy weather; drink a Bud; look out window; crappy weather; drink a Bud; look out window; crappy weather; drink a Bud; look out window; crappy weather; drink a Bud; look out window; crappy weather; drink a Bud; look out window; it's too dark to work on Jeep.

Damn. I could have vacuumed the carpet.

RustyB
    Today was the laziest, most unproductive day of my life. Was still better than work.
    Rusty
    1998 Mazda 626 Non-Jeep

Registered

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cooleyvol:
    Thanks. Did you just cut the front bumper off to shorten it and then put the end pieces back on it? That TJ looks awesome.

So, you have a 2" suspension lift with a 1" Body lift?
    Did you raise the motor mounts or tranny mount?
    </font>
    I bent the front bumper up pretty good while in farmington N.M. (great place to wheel!!!) and simply trimmed about 5 "inches off and relocated the stock lites, just something to hold me over until I figure out what front bumper I want to run. And yes I did a motor mount at the same time as the body lift.

[This message has been edited by BeachJeepTJ (edited 01-05-2002).]