Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The one dissapointing thing about the Superior 35 axle truss...

Post The one dissapointing thing about the Superior 35 axle truss...

Well it sounds great and well it is pretty sweet...

One downside it doesn't work with the Ox locker.

The combo of the Super 35 Ox kit and the 35 truss would be awesome, BUT since the diff cover is welded to the truss and the Ox doesn't use a standard cover

Guess i'll have to weld up my own truss and skip the diff cover as the attachment point.
    I'm not sure how it will work making my own attaching to the diff cover like that is sweet.

1997 Red TJ SE 2.5L, AX-5, D30/D35, 4.88's, Dual True-Tracs, Teraflex S3T, 33x10.50 BFG MT K/M, AA SYE/Woods CV, RE Uppers, Canyons, JKS BPE's, Dual RE Trackbars, Kilby Tank Skid, Carsound Cat, Flowmaster 50 Delta Flow, +AMA A/C , etc...

I noticed the same thing. That does kinda suck even though I wont be getting an Ox. How much is that truss?

------------------
    97 TJ w/ some bolt ons
    http://us.geocities.com/mmax02/97TJBuildup.html?1003886645050
    97 TJ

The truss costs somewhere in the 330 range.. hardly something Id want to spend that much money on, when I could just weld my own up.
    Scott <><

------------------
    <>< Remember, Christ gave his life, so yours could be eternal-- said by me
    89 yj sahara, 4" pro comp lift, 35x12.50 BFG MT, JKS 1.25" body lift ,4.56's, front lockright, rear detroit...blah blah blah
    Next up SOA on 2" springs, 37x12.50 SSR's, and some sort of stronger axles, along with an auto tranny swap
    Sons Of Thunder 4 wheelers
    Rear Bumper/Swingout write up
    Jeep Page
    GOT SAND?
    GOT ROCKS?
    My RigRater Score: 577RRv1.0 with a BOA of 21.49
    89 YJ Sahara, SOA/SUA 35" MTR's
    04.5 Dodge Ram CTD600 Tow rig
    Visit My AMSOIL Dealer Website!
    My AMSOIL MySpace

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered

Band aids on a bleeder. Why spend upwards of $1500 on a boat anchor?

Go find a D44 and eliminate the need patch up everything wrong with the 35.

I know of one for sale with an ARB and disc brakes for $1700.

Seth.. I totally agree, but if someone is set on spending money on the D35, they might as well make it as strong as possible. I am one of those who spent a crapload on the D35 to regear it and lock it, but Im still no about to spend more on the super 35 kit.. Id rather just go buy something stronger and swap it in. Im looking into an 8.8 so I can get disc brakes
    Scott <><

------------------
    <>< Remember, Christ gave his life, so yours could be eternal-- said by me
    89 yj sahara, 4" pro comp lift, 35x12.50 BFG MT, JKS 1.25" body lift ,4.56's, front lockright, rear detroit...blah blah blah
    Next up SOA on 2" springs, 37x12.50 SSR's, and some sort of stronger axles, along with an auto tranny swap
    Sons Of Thunder 4 wheelers
    Rear Bumper/Swingout write up
    Jeep Page
    GOT SAND?
    GOT ROCKS?
    My RigRater Score: 577RRv1.0 with a BOA of 21.49
    89 YJ Sahara, SOA/SUA 35" MTR's
    04.5 Dodge Ram CTD600 Tow rig
    Visit My AMSOIL Dealer Website!
    My AMSOIL MySpace

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lol that's good

I added it up getting a D44 with an Ox and 4.88 gears is going to be alot more than just making my D35 good enough for what i'm doing.

4.88's and 33" tires. Not going any bigger, it should be plenty.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Seth:
    Band aids on a bleeder. Why spend upwards of $1500 on a boat anchor?

Go find a D44 and eliminate the need patch up everything wrong with the 35.

I know of one for sale with an ARB and disc brakes for $1700.
    </font>
    1997 Red TJ SE 2.5L, AX-5, D30/D35, 4.88's, Dual True-Tracs, Teraflex S3T, 33x10.50 BFG MT K/M, AA SYE/Woods CV, RE Uppers, Canyons, JKS BPE's, Dual RE Trackbars, Kilby Tank Skid, Carsound Cat, Flowmaster 50 Delta Flow, +AMA A/C , etc...

Thumbs down

what sucks the most is it will still be a Dana 35... And spare parts will all be custom (aka not something you can find at the parts place) Have fun poliching that turd... You will most likely go bigger someday, and regret spending money on that axle... Hugh

------------------
    Just your ordinary Station Wagon... http://www.geocities.com/geared_down...ides/hughO.htm
    Rockmonkey 4x4 Custom Fabrication
    Salisbury, NC

Lockers, Gears, Tubework, Anything you can think of...

Email me for more information

I don't believe the original post was asking opinions about the Dana 35. He was talking about the truss. Do you guys get pleasure by spreading doom and gloom or do you think no one has heard about it's reputation?

[This message has been edited by TJRON (edited 12-05-2001).]
    It's not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.......

This is what I was told by Ron the 8th of November.

To: 'ron@footeaxle.com'

Ron,

I got another quick question for ya, sorta. If the super 35 kit with a OX
    locker is installed, will your D35 truss still work/fit, or will there be
    modifications to the truss, or maybe a different truss for a OX D35? TIA

Joe Dillard

At this time they are not compatible. There may be a solution down the road,
    but not soon. However, as I mentioned, the cover is so strong, it does about
    half the work of truss alone.
    Thank you,

Ron Stobaugh
    President
    Superior Axle & Gear
    division of Foote Axle & Forge, LLC
    www.superioraxle.com

I really don't see a problem. If people are running 35" tires or even 38" tires with the Super 35 and a six cylinder and not having any problems. I am pretty sure I will NEVER hurt that thing with a 4-cylinder, 4.88's and 33" tires, radials for that much.

Now maybe if I put the rear up on jackstands, got it up in 5th gear doing like a hundred MPH while my front bumper was against a tree and the back wheels were over concrete and I had two guys knock the jackstands out ok yeah It might break, but I don't plan on doing that.
    I think I would be fine without a truss.

If I could find a Dana 44 with 4.88 gears in it already, either open or Ox I'd get it. But instead i'd have to buy a TJ 44, regear it then put a locker in it. I already have the Dana 35.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by punkskalar:
    what sucks the most is it will still be a Dana 35... And spare parts will all be custom (aka not something you can find at the parts place) Have fun poliching that turd... You will most likely go bigger someday, and regret spending money on that axle... Hugh

</font>

Does anyone else find it anomalous that the same company sells to diametrically opposed products?

The Truss- guaranteed to stop the axle killing flex of the poor little tubes found on the D-35

Super 35 Kit-guaranteed to cure the weak axle problems associated with the D-35. Article after acticle states that the tubes are fine and just not a problem.

Which is it?

btw- DTD and Superior are in the same building and divisions of Foote Axle and Forge.
    If you buy for the warranty, buy two. You're gonna need them because warranties don't get you home.

Registered

Well I'm not here to spread doom and gloom. I went a different route and picked up a TJ D44 out of totaled TJ.

But, If you are thinking of the truss and your going with the OX. Stu's site has a great pic of the truss he did on his D30. A similar setup on the D35 would work as well.

I'd suggest getting someone who has welded cast steel to low carbon steel a bunch of times be the one to do the welding.

Stu's truss was done by or-fab I think. The cool thing about it, is that it goes on top of the axle and spans the top of the casting. It will not interfere with the OX cover at all. I'd check out any clearance issues when articulating, but it would be a good place to start. Good luck.

Registered

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mrblaine:
    Does anyone else find it anomalous that the same company sells two diametrically opposed products?

The Truss- guaranteed to stop the axle killing flex of the poor little tubes found on the D-35

Super 35 Kit-guaranteed to cure the weak axle problems associated with the D-35. Article after acticle states that the tubes are fine and just not a problem.

Which is it?
    </font>
    You beat me to it, I was thinking the same thing.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe Dillard:
    Joe Dillard

At this time they are not compatible. There may be a solution down the road,
    but not soon. However, as I mentioned, the cover is so strong, it does about
    half the work of truss alone.
    </font>
    I'm not sure I see how a stronger diff. cover would contribute to eliminating axle tube stress, which I thought was the sole purpose of a truss.
    TJx2

Registered

Seth, if you havent yet installed your Super 35 truss and have the OX locker suggest you call DTD (I presume that is where you bought it). I have a D44 so I am not personally familiar with 35's and truss's BUT I have a friend who I believe is installing a Super 35 with OX locker. Dont know if this is a new design or what but worth a call to find out. john

------------------
    John, 2001 Sahara,Warn M8,000 winch; Cobra 75 CB; OME suspension, JKS discos, Currie MM and track bar, JKS body lift, fully armored,RE chrom/moly tie rod, D44,D30, 3:73; OX Locker on D30; track loc on D44; 33" BFG M/T KM's hilift jack; fire extenguisher; yellow top Optima Battery, turbo city air tube and filter; QuickAire III OBA
    John, 2001 Sahara,Warn 9500 ti winch; Cobra 75 CB; OME suspension, Daystar 3/4" spacers, Currie ANTIROCK, Currie MM and track bar, JKS body lift, fully armored,RE chrom/moly tie rod, Superior Super 44 rear, Superior chrom/moly D30 front, OX Lockers front and rear; 4.56 gearing; 34" TRXUS M/T tires; hilift jack; fire extenguisher; yellow top Optima Battery, turbo city air tube and filter; QuickAire III OBA; Rubicon Express Hand Throttle; On Board Shower ; Jeeperman bumper/swingaway tire carrier/rack and gas can holders; AA SYE; Tom Woods HD C/V rear driveshaft; Nth Mobility Tummy Tucker; Nth Mobility rear upper adjustable control arms.

THE TJ Dana 44 SUCKS!

well what about the tj 44 with an ox the axle tubes are the same as the 35 so how would you trust the only advantage to the tj 44 is a bigger ring and pinion go get a scout dana 44 for $100 as they are stronger!(bigger tubes)

Registered

Why not grind the stock diff from the truss off and then weld it to the OX cover?

MonsterZ,

It's a bit difficult to understand Rons true meaning & responce to my question, which he begins saying "At this time.....".

I'm guessing that what Ron meant was that with the combination cover/truss, together as a integral single componet, that the cover portion contributes to ~1/2 the strength of the componet as a whole.

If your gonna do that you might as well make your own Truss and not ruin that one.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mascarab:
    Why not grind the stock diff from the truss off and then weld it to the OX cover?</font>

Registered

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Seth_TJ:
    If your gonna do that you might as well make your own Truss and not ruin that one.

</font>

Good Idea, you should do that

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fuelin:
    THE TJ Dana 44 SUCKS!

well what about the tj 44 with an ox the axle tubes are the same as the 35 so how would you trust the only advantage to the tj 44 is a bigger ring and pinion go get a scout dana 44 for $100 as they are stronger!(bigger tubes)
    </font>
    Thanks for clearing that up for us in an inverted sort of way. If the 44 needed a truss, so would the 35. The 44 doesn't so why would the 35?

I think they are just hedging their bets and covering both ends.

If you buy for the warranty, buy two. You're gonna need them because warranties don't get you home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast