Thread: jeep wrangler towing capability

Post jeep wrangler towing capability

ok would a jeep I6 be able to pull a a trailer that could hold an ATV(roughly 400-500lb) and a dune buggy(roughly 500-1klb) this is really the only thing stopping me from buying a wrangler, because i figure that with all that weight in the back and the short wheelbase that the thing would struggle and lift its front wheels off the grouns as i tried to go up hill(very very baad)
    87' YJ wrangler
    3inch rough country lift
    32 inch Leswab Wild country which kicked butt in th mud

The 4.0 with standard or auto tranny will tow 2000lbs.
    The 2.5 with standard tranny will tow 2000lbs.
    The 2.5 with auto tranny will tow 1000lbs.

This is according to DC. I know for a fact ppl have towed more.
    '95 XJ SE 2 Door - 2.5L, AX5, 2WD, 8.25 Rear Axle, 235/75/15 Goodyear Wrangler Radials.

ok, well i guess ill be getting a jeep if i can yank the things around.

the apolstry in a wrangler isnt cheap feeling is it???
    87' YJ wrangler
    3inch rough country lift

Registered

I have pulled a 6500 pound boat with mine. Trailer brakes are noce when you tow anything heavy with something lite like a Jeep.

------------------
    92 WRANGLER 350 GMPP crate motor 700R4 TRANS 231 W/SYE 6" PROCOMP coil conversion AND 35" SWAMPERS ( 4 sale )
    99 TJ
    05 WK
    93 YJ
    Various other wranglers laying around the yard for parts.

Registered

Its not a lack of power or brakes that limit the Wranglers towing ability, its the short wheelbase. A SWB Jeep just isn't long enough to keep a heavy load behind it, the trailor will tend to want to get in front the jeep, a bad thing when driving.

thats why i was hesitant because i didnt want anything like that to happen
    87' YJ wrangler
    3inch rough country lift

You will be just fine towing what you have described. I've towed a 3000 lb. boat without trailer brakes many time, many miles. As long as you don't have too much, or too little, tongue weight, then you will be just fine. HTH
    '91 YJ, in process of resurrection after years in the back yard.
    '10 JKUR, DD that also plays in the woods.

If I'm not in a Jeep, it's either a fire truck or has two wheels and no phones.

Registered
    Berrien Springs, MI, Another PROUD citizen of USA

I moved a 29' Powerquest with twin 454s that weighed 10,000 LBS. That was only about 50 feet, but come on, it was like the worlds strongest man contest. In all seriousness I move two jet skis all over the beautiful state of Michigan.

2.5L

------------------
    1993 Jeep YJ
    15x8 chrome/rust wheels with 31x10.5 Sport Kings

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Andrew the man:

</font>
    I dont think the upholstery is "cheap" feeling, its actually a little to "fancy" for my taste. Its not super fancy like a cadillac or anything, just the typical new car upholstery.
    Go to the dealership and take a look at one.

'95 XJ SE 2 Door - 2.5L, AX5, 2WD, 8.25 Rear Axle, 235/75/15 Goodyear Wrangler Radials.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Andrew the man:

</font>
    What happened to the S10 Blazer you were gonna buy last week?

97 TJ Sport. R.E. 3.5" Superflex lift, 33" SSRs on AR767's Custom rear D44 with Detroit, D30 front with Truetrac, 4.56 gears. TC sidebars, Tomken gas tank skid, Olympic rear rock bumper,Turner Enterprises custom front bumper, Uniden CB. M.O.R.E. cage. PSC tube fenders. AA sye and cv driveshaft.

Registered

I agree with JimmyTJ. Keep the weight down and you'll be ok. With my 87 Wrangler, I've towed a 500 lb trailer with a lawn tractor(not sure of it's weight) several times and with a 750 lb motorcycle on it a few times with no problems.
    99 JGC Limited
    87 YJ 350TBI/TH350, Rancho RS 5000 Shocks, 2 1/2" Rancho Lift, 31105015 BFG AT's on American Racing Wheels, Tompkin Front and Rear Bumpers and Swingout Tire Carrier, Tompkin HD Shackles
    69 CJ5 327/TH350, Saginaw Steering, Rancho 2 1/2 lift, Rancho 9000 shocks, Tompkin HD tow shackles

Registered

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Timmo:
    Originally posted by Andrew the man:

</font>
    What happened to the S10 Blazer you were gonna buy last week?

Duh Tim, that was so 10 minutes ago. By now, Andrew is likely combing through old issues of cycle magazine looking for a crotch rocket to tow his funny car.

W

Registered

Exclamation

OK, here's the Deal, as I have come to see it, at least. When it comes to trailering, power is important. But what's more important is control. Like the one guy said a Wrangler could easily tow 5 tons around a parking lot (as long as the tongue weight wasn't too much) but it would never be able to control it on real roads. In the same respect an F-350 Dually with a Diesel could probably move 30,000 lbs, but IT woulnd't be able to control that much, so it's max safe towing capicity is probably around 5 or 6 tons. And thats why it has those dual wheels, control.
    So just because the Wrangler has about the same drivetrain as a Grand Cherokee with the same engine, it's towing capacity is less than half because it's just not big enough to control it. So... if you plan to be towing close to the capacity of the truck, make sure you have your trailer well balanced to avoid problems such as swaying, which can be very dangerous. And look into a trailer brakes as well. The owners manual actually gives very specific information in this respect. I know I have repeated some things people allready said, but that is because they are important. Good luck!

------------------
    99 TJ Sahara (5 Speed!)

[This message has been edited by GriptrukTJ (edited 11-05-2001).]
    1999 TJ Sahara (5 Speed!) FOR SALE pretty much stock again. >>Pics<<
    1981 CJ7 - R.I.P. -
    From Long Island? click here.

hey guys, get off my back here, you know how many possible choices i have??? its insane, that why i keep asking about several different things
    87' YJ wrangler
    3inch rough country lift

Andrew, i understand that ppl raggin pisses ya off, but what about all the ppl that give constructive replys? "Thanks for the help/advice", or a simple "Thanks" would be nice. I dont see you do that to much.

[This message has been edited by CrazyTJ01 (edited 11-05-2001).]

Registered

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CrazyTJ01:
    Andrew, i understand that ppl raggin pisses ya off, but what about all the ppl that give constructive replys? "Thanks for the help/advice", or a simple "Thanks" would be nice. I dont see you do that to much.

[This message has been edited by CrazyTJ01 (edited 11-05-2001).]
    </font>
    He has asked the same question about ten times, and keeps getting the same answers. I don't call that ragging. He should do a search on the subject, he will find tons of replies from the first ten times he asked the question.
    W

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jeepz4Ever:
    You will be just fine towing what you have described. I've towed a 3000 lb. boat without trailer brakes many time, many miles. As long as you don't have too much, or too little, tongue weight, then you will be just fine. HTH</font>
    BAD advice! This kind of crap just bugs the crap out of me, someone passing along bad advice just because he does it and so far, has gotten away with it. The Wrangler's short wheelbase prevents it from safely towing anything much over 2,000 lbs. even though its driveline is more than capable of towing it. The 2,000 lb. safe towing limit is a realistic safe limit for the Wrangler, it's not an unrealistically low tow weight limit that some paranoid junior Chrysler attorney dreamed up.

------------------
    See the Geezer Jeep at
    http://www.jjournal.net/jeep/gallery/JBransfordsTJ/
    See the Geezer Jeep http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm
    Getting Savvy...
    Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

Registered

Right on the money Bransford...........

Jot this down, Im agreeing with you.

Just because you can doesnt mean you should.
    Trailering is serious **** and a TJ is not an ideal vehicle for those duties. Can it be done YES, would it be a vehicle of choice NO.
    SWB's suck for trailering jobs, especially if you have a highly mod'ded vehicle

1978 J-20
    1997 Built Jeep Wrangler TJ
    2012 Built Jeep Wrangler JKU
    Owned 38 Jeeps/4Wd's since 1980
    Founder and President of Kansas Mountain Rescue

Thumbs up

criteria for TJ towing limits:

6000lbs---cautious/common sense/dana44 with synthetic
    5000 lbs---common sense/dana44 with synthetic

4000 lbs---common sense/some college physics
    2000 lbs----minimal skill set-American
    99TJ/4.0/auto/4.56/2 Detroits/35" MTR