Thread: Exhaust Tailpipe Hanger?

Question Exhaust Tailpipe Hanger?

Ok .. I've been searching everywhere for this part. I have an '89 Wrangler and just had the exhaust replaced. Everything is fine except the tailpipe rattles alot. It appears that there is a a staight piece of metal attached to the tailpipe that hooks into a hanger with a teardrop shaped rubber bushing. This appears to be rotted out. I could bring it back to the shop and complain, but it's such a pain and I really need my car so I figured if I could find this part and just replace it myself. I've gone to a dozen auto parts stores and they keep giving my this rubber oval hockey puck shaped hanger which doesn't fit my Jeep. I've had them look it up in the parts listing and they can't seem to find this part at all. Even check other year Jeeps. Is my Jeep special or something? Do other '89 Jeepers have this part? Any idea where I could find such a thing .. should I just give up and drop it off at the mechanics for a month?

Thanks!

Registered

It is too funny that everytime I have a problem someone else posts the exact same issue that day. I am looking for that rubber bushing too. It goes into the exhaust hanger attached to the transmission mount. Mine is in very bad shape as well. Please let me know if you find one.

Thanks,
    77, 81, 84, 91 YJ! 4.2L, t-176, D300, D44 w/ARB, D60 Welded, 5.13's, hydraulic assist, 39.5's

Try the dealership.

Smile

Called the Jeep Dealer and they do carry this piece. The hanger is actually three pieces and you can purchase them seperately. To purchase the full hanger it costs about $35. The bushing is $4.80. Below are the part#s.

Tear drop bushing - #52040219
    Bracket #1 - #52003426
    Bracket #2 - #52003427

Registered

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by monkeyevil:
    Try the dealership.</font>
    I recently replaced my exhaust, and was able to use the stock tail pipe hanger, but after a few weeks it broke (11 years of rust I guess). Anyway, I went to Pep Boys and another local autopart store and got the generic tail pipe hangers. NG. They went straight down, and the tail pipe was hitting the springs. I went to the dealer and ordered 3 parts, the hanger (which attaches to the frame but offsets the tail pipe an inch or so away from the frame), the teardrop shaped rubber bushing, and the bolt on piece that holds the bushing to the tailpipe. You need those three parts. They were pretty expensive too (close to $25 for the three parts), but that's what worked.

------------------
    See you off road!

'90 YJ, 2.5" OME , 1" BL, 32"AT's, ARB Lockers - front & rear, quick disconnects, adjustable track bar, header & cat back, hi-perf cat, Warn 8000i, 4 little cylinders
    See you off road!

'90 YJ, 2.5" OME , 1" BL, 32"AT's, ARB Lockers - front & rear, quick disconnects, adjustable track bar, header & cat back, hi-perf cat, Warn 8000i, 4 little cylinders