Thread: Fuse for Cigarette Lighter

Registered

Post Fuse for Cigarette Lighter

anyone know offhand where the fuse for the cigarette lighter is? I think I may have shorted it when installing my hellas-how I don't know. Its a 2000 btw.
    2000 Cherokee Sport (Sold)
    12" Pioneer w/ Custom sub for sale (PM me)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...1/fc608e7b.jpg

New Car: http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...b/fb8e23cb.jpg

Registered

The fuse will be in your fuse panel, all XJ's use the "plug" in fuse so if you do not have a test light(which you should) you can easily tell if it is blown.
    Take care
    Dave

97 up is beside passengers right leg...it's a 25 and I believe the top left??
    pre96 is driver's side...on firewall in front of left leg.

I have a CB spliced into the '99's cig lighter and anytime I go to plug in the lighter or accessory into the socket it blows. It strange cause on the 90 I have three extra sockets spliced in plus the CB/tire inflator/etc. and it never blows a fuse. Anyone know if I can just shove in a higher amp fuse into the 99 without any problems?

------------------
    90XJ Laredo - <<UNDER CONSTRUCTION>>
    99XJ Classic - Our Newest Addition

Ex-Jeeps:
    '97 TJ - fun but expensive
    '89 YJ - less fun twice as expensive
    '87 XJ (Pioneer) - cheap and easy (best jeep yet)
    '95 XJ (Country)
    1999 XJ Classic I6 AW4 NP231 RE HT SYE Cstm shaft, RE 5.5 / HD Trackbar, JKS adj LCAs / 2G Discos, ZJ TieRod, DIY BPEs, 31"KMs, D30/44 w/ 4:56s and DUAL Detroit Truetracs, 6x9 cone K&N, Hell Roaring Dual Batts Yellow NAPA/Red Optima, 180deg seats, fridge/LCD TVDVD Rack, cstm rack w/ tire & highlift mount, 750W inverter.
    2010 Fun Finder 189FBS
    2010 KIA Soul
    RIP: 1990 XJ Laredo (for parts); 1987 XJ Laredo; 1997 TJ SE; 1989 YJ SE; 1995 XJ Country; 1987 XJ Pioneer.

I have a 2000 also, yes the fuse is by the passengers right leg, top left, white 25 Amp fuse. Make sure you use that handy tool on the fuse door to get it out, cause its a pain in the ass. I also had your problem, make sure you get a ton of extras becuase they blow alot. I have a CB, HAM radio, flashing lightbar, radar detector all spliced into one plug. If it is the passenger side outlet, that is the fuse, if its the drivers side, its the fuse below the top left on i think.

------------------
    2000 Cherokee Classic
    Rusty's Air tube, K&N filter. Rusty's Catback with flowmaster 40 series original flow. 30x9.5 BFG AT KO's and AR-767 rims. Custom Trimmed bumperettes. Ecco mini amber lightbar. Modded Uniden Grant LT CB. Radio Shack 2Meter HAM radio. Eat, Sleep, Jeep, Eat, Jeep, Jeep.
    XJ: Liberty Recovery Team.
    Uncleben03@excite.com
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJeeper
    Typhoon. Not typhoid. It wasn't a disease.

Registered

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CanJeeper:
    Anyone know if I can just shove in a higher amp fuse into the 99 without any problems?

</font>
    Usually not without risk, unless you beef up the wires. The fuses are geared to the size of wires on that circuit and are intended to be the weak link on the circuit so they blow before the wires melt. Going with a bigger fuse can be like going un-fused. However, there is a safety factor built in, so you MIGHT get by putting a 30 in place of a 25 or something like that. But if you're blowing a lot of fuses, you really ought to rewire.

Registered

Thanks for the help
    2000 Cherokee Sport (Sold)
    12" Pioneer w/ Custom sub for sale (PM me)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...1/fc608e7b.jpg

New Car: http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...b/fb8e23cb.jpg

Unhappy

I am having the same problem with my '98! As soon as I put the new fuse in, the damn thing blows. I do not want to hassle with it right now, weather issues, but eventually I will try to fix it. I think that the cig. lighter is bad, or shorting the fuse out. I am not sure. At anyrate, my '98 is full of electrical gremlins. It is really pissing me off. Anyone have a problem with the horns mysteriously honking, and staying on? It is really agrevating!!!!!

------------------
    A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. The tongue of the wise commends knowledge, but the mouth of the fool gushes folly.

1998 XJ Classic
    - 4.0L
    - Auto
    - Select-trac
    www.jeepinguys.jeepz.com
    Updated-11/12/01
    The tongue of the wise commends knowledge, but the mouth of the fool gushes folly.

1998 XJ Classic
    - 4.0L
    - Auto
    - Select-trac