Thread: Siping BFG MT KM's...yes or no??

Registered

Question Siping BFG MT KM's...yes or no??

I have a set of 31 BFG MT KM's coming soon, want to know everyone's thoughts on siping them. I understand that it is possible to have chunks of tread come off in hard-core rock climbing with siped tires, but I don't do any of that, although the trails I do wheel are covered with small to medium sized rocks. I currently run BFG AT KO's and they come factory siped, and have had no damage to them on the trails. I will be driving on wet, icy, and snow packed roads on occasion, but I'm always careful. So, to sipe or not to sipe, thoughts? And potential problems to the tire from siping? And can anybody post a pic of some muds that were siped please?

Thanks
    93 XJ 2 Door Sport 4.0 HO AUTO w/ Offroad package, Towing package and Tracloc
    RE 3" lift with AAL and LCA's.
    Doetsch Tech 3000 Shocks
    BDS Steering Stabilizer
    Mopar Front Skid, TC Skid, Gas Tank Skid, Tow Hooks, Roof Top Tire Carrier
    31x10.5 BFG MT KM's on 15x7 Unique Black D's
    K&N Drop-in filter, Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust w/ Gibson Stainless Steel Tip

Question

Ok, im completely baffled......what is siping your tires? Seriously, im not being rude.
    Crabby
    97 XJ Sport 4x4
    Nuttin special

Exclamation

IMHO do the siping if your an agressive driver if your not then don't waste your money

------------------
    '99 XJ Sport, Black 5sp, loaded, OME 3" lift, JKS quicker disconnects, JKS adj. Track bar, Griz rims, 31x10.50, SYE - Tom Woods installed! (4hrs 15min.)
    '99 XJ Sport, Black 5sp, loaded, OME 5.0"(ft), OME/RE 5.0"(r) lift, JKS quick disco's, JKS adj. Track bar, JKS LCA/UCA's, ARB pump, AEV locker switches, 5.9 rims w/255/85/16, Rockcrawler rims, 285/75/16(TrXus!), SYE - Tom Woods, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers (fr&r), Mopar skids, Rustys Xfer case skid, Midland 160XLT CB, C4x4 rear bumper and tire carrier, C4x4 rock rails, Hi-Lift jack, ARB ft bumper, Warn XD9000, Wilderness rack, Hella 550's, IPF head lights, DPG rear bump-stops, K&N dropin, 62mm TB w/spacer, SkidRow LCA protection, ACOS.http://home.centurytel.net/~jimbar/

Registered

What is siping?

------------------
    4Aces
    Billy's 00' XJ
    2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
    4.5" RE - 31" BFG
    Mopar tire carrier, Front skid plate, Select_Trac
    4Aces
    2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
    4.5" RE - 31" BFG
    Mopar tire carrier, Front skid plate, NP242

Registered

Siping is making small cuts in the tires to increase traction. Supposedly it also increases tire life, but I don't understand how it does that. Anybody know? Seems like they would wear faster.
    Stock 92 XJ 4WD auto, new 4.0L, Flowmaster, Warn M8000, BFG AT 235s

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by skimfs:
    Siping is making small cuts in the tires to increase traction. Supposedly it also increases tire life, but I don't understand how it does that. Anybody know? Seems like they would wear faster.</font>
    That argument on that is still in the air. Some saying siping decreases wear because the sipes help disipate the heat faster when driving, while others say they increase wear since the lugs are now spaced farther apart they aren't as "strong" as they used to be.

------------------
    J.R. Morris - syco-xj@mediaone.net
    92 XJ Laredo 4.0L 4x4 I6 AW4, 3" lift, 30x9.50" BFG Mud-Terrains, C4x4 bumpers, ConFerr rack, Hella lighting
    (In garage: Warn M8000, 160 amp alternator, extended shocks, milspec terminals, RE HD trackbar/bracket)
    98 4.0L XJ Sport, NP231 with SYE, AX15
    5" RE/DPG extreme duty lift, 33x12.50 Goodyear MT/Rs
    D30/D44, 4.56 gears, Auburn ECTED, four wheel disc brakes

Registered

Lightbulb

I just got 33" BFG MT KMs and asked about siping. I was told basically the same thing. Siping makes them much better on road in rain, snow and ice. I was also told siping can cause chunks of tread to come off in rocks. I choose against the siping. Ive been on wet and icy roads and havent noticed much difference from the ATs I had.

Registered

Thumbs up

This is what siping looks like on 31" KM's - Digital sorry it took so long! Busy night! Good luck on your decision...

------------------
    Justin

'01 XJ UC, K&N, 31x10.5 KM's on Rockcrawlers, 3" RE, JKS Quicker Discos, Powertrax No-Slips, RRO Steprails, FourX DR Diff Guards, Conferr Rack, 4 8" Explorer 130W Pro Series

[This message has been edited by dallasXJ (edited 01-15-2002).]

Registered

Dallas, not a delay at all, no problem. I can't view them for some reason though. They won't display, your last pic of your rig in the driveway did.
    Doetsch Tech 3000 Shocks
    BDS Steering Stabilizer

Registered

Thumbs up

Nevermind Dallas, they displayed, thanks allot!!!
    Doetsch Tech 3000 Shocks
    BDS Steering Stabilizer

Registered

Any ill effects on the trail to the tires from siping Dallas. Sorry to bug you so much on this. I just always like to get all the info I can when it comes to making any kind of decision on my rig.
    Doetsch Tech 3000 Shocks
    BDS Steering Stabilizer

Registered

Never a problem to answer ?s; I'm the same way and this BBS is a blessing - somebody's usually been there, done that! I haven't seen any adverse effects on the trail. I air down to 14 psi and wheel from moderate to difficult trails (1-5 diamond scale; I stay 3-4 diamonds. There is only 1 5 diamond trail and I stay the hell offa that thing! Body damage! ) I enjoy the extra traction siping gives on/offroad, but looking at the pics, my tires look 10 years old when they are only 4 months young. Of course this was macro zoom and I can't record a .wav of these meaty bastids sticking to the road, but it sounds neato!

How about this? You could go without siping for awhile on wet/offroad conditions, then go back and get siped, if you still think that's the way to go, and try and tell the difference. I don't sipe my wife's tires and she is running 245/45R17 BFG g-Force KDWS and doesn't need it, but I think that those big lugs on the KM need help in the wet. As well as the lugs shed mud, I think there is a hydroplane pucker factor that is eliminated by siping - IMHO, of course. If I don't post quick enough, try my email - I'm usually online...HTH!

Registered

I've also searched the net on this and have seen nothing but postive reviews on siping. I seriously doubt I'll "chunk" 'em, I haven't chunked my AT's and they came factory siped. I decided I'm a go for siping these bad boys, can only benefit, and increasing levels of safety is always a plus. Your tires look fine Dallas, close up of a tire that's been wheeled is never pretty, the key is the tread is still standing tall!! I love the smell of new rubber in the morning....lol.
    Doetsch Tech 3000 Shocks
    BDS Steering Stabilizer

Registered

Well, I had my Mickey Thompson Baja Claws siped and while they did better on the road, they chunked like a mother on the trail. There is nothing more upsetting than spending $700 on a set of tires and flinging big pieces of tire on the third day you have them mounted. If you air down a bunch, they don't chunk as badly, but they WILL chunk and/or tear if you do any hard wheeling on sharp rocks. I will never sipe a set of tires that sees offroad use (at least not a soft mud terrain compound) again. If you are careful with the go pedal, the BFG MTs are not bad at all in the white stuff. But, to each his own.
    95 XJ,6.5" lift,33"MTRs

Registered

I guess it must be the type of tire, my BFG AT's never chunked, and I wheel on small to medium sized sharp rocks quite a bit.
    Doetsch Tech 3000 Shocks
    BDS Steering Stabilizer

Registered

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DigitalRJH:
    I guess it must be the type of tire, my BFG AT's never chunked, and I wheel on small to medium sized sharp rocks quite a bit.</font>
    It probably is the type of tire. I'm sure the quality of the rubber has something to do with chunking.

Personally, I've burned through 4 sets of BFG MT's during my years of wheeling, and I've siped every last one of them. I think it makes a huge difference on snow and ice, not so much in mud or rocks. However, I've never had much in the way of chunks falling off.
    As for the mileage, I get about 35-40K out of a set of MT's. The fronts usually less if I'm lazy about alignment. That being said, I don't put much faith in either of the wear theories. I think siping doesn't really effect wear.

My .02.

-= Jay =-

:wq!