Thread: Rear seat headrests?

Registered

Post Rear seat headrests?

Just ordered my Wrangler Sport which I plan on using a commuter and light weekend offroading. My two kids will be occupying the backseat a lot. Does anyone know if there is someone making aftermarket headrests for the backseat?

------------------
    '03 Rubicon 5sp - black on black

Registered

Have never seen any. You might try looking for someone who does custom welding and make your own.
    '84 CJ-7, 2" lift, Hand Throttle, Uniden CB
    Channel Beam Bumpers

*~___
    |_|___|_
    |O[|||]O

"Pine"striping
    Custom "rust" and black paint job.
    r_scifres@hotmail.com

Registered

Welcome in YellowTJ, you really should have posted a new member post so that the oldtimers could congratulate you on joining in But we found you anyways. I think you'll like being part of JU, everyone else except for few people did.
    I must say this the one question that I've never heard of - headrests on a back seat. I don't think you'll find what you are looking for because people with wranglers tend to do the opposite of you. Meaning they remove the back seat to increase cargo capacity. But like Clark said, you may find someone who will do a custom set for you. JP magazine had an aritcle where they added headrests or bent the frame of the front seats to provide more head comfort, so anything is possible.
    '03 TJ Sport with goodies to come
    For Sale: '94 YJ 2.5L, 5sp, 2.5" BDS AAL, Trailmaster SS shocks, K&N, Herculined, 31" BFG MT-KMs on AR OutlawI, Hella500s, KCs, Cobra75 CB, FirestickII,
    Michigan Jeepers
    JeepFabrication.com

Registered

Thanks for the information. With all the Wranglers on the road I figured someone must make these. We had them on the third seat of our Durango - low profile but adjustable.

Registered
    TN, White House (near Nashville), USA <br>Age 53

You may lose the fold and tumble capability, but I doubt that would matter to you.

------------------
    Brian Henderson '98 Sahara 'Tree Hugger',
    I6, Auto, Hard Top, 30", All kindsa fancy underwear, TC Sidebars, Warn HS9500i.
    Jeep! Jeep!
    Brian Henderson '98 Sahara 'Tree Hugger',
    I6, Auto, 3.07, Hard Top, OME 2.5" lift, 30", IPF 90/145W headlights, KC Daylighters, All kindsa fancy underwear, TC Sidebars, Warn HS9500i, Recovery gear, Clevis Pin QD's, SkyJacker steering stabilizer, Kidde fire ext.,Cobra 18 WXST CB, 4' Firefly hood mounted.
    a.k.a. Lumpy Waffle Chunks.
    Jeep! Jeep!

Registered

Talking

hey
    don't know anything about rear seat headrests but welcome to the club from a fellow MA jeeper.

------------------
    chris
    99 Black TJ
    31's, disconnects, wet okole seat covers, full soft doors
    chris
    99 Black TJ
    31's, disconnects, wet okole's,
    full soft doors, Skid row engine skid
    turbo city steering box skid/side bars, Hurculined

Registered

some one on the XJ board did this mod to his XJ. Rich P. maybe. His was a custom job but he might give you some insite as how to proceed.

-toff-

Welcome aboard. I would suggest making some kind of metal poles and attatching headrests out of a junkyard beater (like a Honda) and cover them in whatever your vinyl color is for conutivity. Bolt the poles to your floor behind the seat (get them the same size as the headrest poles) with a mounting bracket on the floor (due to the angle and the weight of 8lb heads) and you will be all set. You can make the poles/headrests removable and you'll be all set. I could draw up some schematics for you if you're interested, and you can let me know how they work.

------------------
    Chris H - 97 SE-Sport
    My Homepage
    Jeeper's Delight
    Jeep CD Covers
    AIM - KimThayill
    Yahoo - _jrossi

Registered

hey I was just wandering over from the xj board (I scheming on how to get a wrangler) and some one asked this about hte xj's and if i remember right, someone said that european xj's had them and maybe they have them for wranglers too. try crownautomotive

------------------
    98 XJ sport kept UC skids & back hook RE/custom 7" Lift, 33's, ARB w/warn xd9000, rusty'streering conv. & brace, 4.10's, lock rights, borla exhaust, craplympic rocker grds, Tomken rear bumper w/spare,MT alcoas, and more.
    98 XJ sport 7" Lift, ATLAS 3.8, 33 10.5 swapers off road and BFG at's on, Winch, 4.10's, warn front hubs and axles, 8.8 axle, and more.
    I don't think "chicks dig dents". I would have found out by now.
    Sig. circa summer '04 Havent been here in awhile. Got me a new toy to haul the old toy which was to hard for the wallet to keep as a DD
    05 Dodge ram QCSBSRW 5.9l CUMMINS! manual shifters all around! bsess:

Registered

Cool

Hey Steve,you must of been talking to my wife,she has been asking the same thing for the XJ.I have been driving my two girls around in the TJ for 4 years now and they never complained about not having a head rest,give it a shot for awhile before you do anything,you might be surprised.I know what your thinking, trying to protect them from the idiot drivers we have around here,but you will find because of the better view you will have more time to react to others,also people tend to stay away more from Jeeps on the road because it looks like it can hurt them I dont think anybody will be able to miss seeing that yellow Jeep either!

------------------
    Mark
    97 tj,96 xj
    Mark
    97 tj,96 xj

Registered

I appreciate all of the suggestions and feedback concerning the headrests. Once I get my Wrangler I plan on taking it to a local upholstery shop for their opinion. Back in my younger days when I was into Triumphs, they welded a cracked seat frame for me and reupholstered the seat. If too complex or expensive I may just take Mark's advice.

Thanks again.

Registered

Welcome to the site. I too have a couple of kids and it really bothers me to have them in the rear seat. So much in fact, I usually take the WJ if they are going anywhere with me.

Neck injuries are pretty nasty. One of my employees was rear ended a couple of months back. He had a headrest, but his neck was turned slightly. He still has tremors in his right hand.

Let me know if you find anyway to retrofit a headrest.

------------------
    '00 TJ (mine, Clifford alarm, front ARB, dual tops, stock Dana44 with Trash Loc)
    '00 WJ (wife's, Limited, 4.7L V8, Upcountry, QuadraDrive)
    '00 TJ (mine, Clifford alarm, Meyer snowplow, dual tops, stock Dana44 with Trash Loc)
    '00 WJ (wife's, Limited, 4.7L V8, Upcountry, QuadraDrive)
    '04 C5 Corvette (Sold)
    '11 Ford F-350