Thread: Nutserts...how do these things work?

Registered

Post Nutserts...how do these things work?

I got the hot deal on the Mopar front skid like many of us did. It's got three nutserts that I have to use. What's the best way to get these expanded into the proper size and place? Would I be better off getting other bolts? It appears that the 2 rear "frame" rail holes are already tapped and ready to go. Who else has recently done this and do you have any tips? Please, no flames about what a piece of crap you think this skid is.
    Thanks!

Talking

I went through this when I got my tc skid a few months ago.

Nutserts work like drywall anchors. They expand when force is put on them. Problem with these is that they take a lot of force to keep it from spinning in the hole and not expanding.

They sell tools but I made my own thanks to some help from this board. I got a bolt that fit the nutsert, along with a nut and 2 washers. I hand screwed the nut to the bolt, slid on 2 washers, screwed the nutsert up to the nut. Once I had it ready I put it in the appropriate hole in the subframe, held the nut stationary with a box wrench and tightened the bolt with a socket wrench, expanding the nutsert. When tight, back the bolt , nut and washers out and you're ready to install your plate.

You first one will be a bitch, but the others will be easy once you get the process down.
    2004 TJ Sport, 5spd, D44, 3.73, 2.75" OME HD Springs and Shocks, JKS Disconnects, JKS 1" MML, JKS 1.25 BL, JKS ATB, 33" BFG MTs on 15"x8"-4" Rockcrawlers, Skid Row Steering Box Skid Plate, Raingler Handles.
    http://www.geigerland.com/tj

Registered

Thanks for the reply.....but this is going to sound really stupid. If you can reach the area that this "blind" nutsert will be going, in order to get it started and stuck in the hole, why wouldn't you just replace it with a nut, bolt and some washers?

Registered

I installed my front skid on Sunday. I could reach where the bolts went so instead of messing wuth the nutserts I just used 3 new bolts some washers and some nuts. The skid plate is very secure and is not going anywhere.

Registered

Thanks. It was dark and raining on Sunday when I went to look at the install situation. I wondered if I really needed them at all. I assume you pulled out the rubber undercarriage splash guard permanently?

Registered

Great Deal on Front Skid plates - 6$, though.
    Same problem, I took off the splash guard, as it was flapping away in the wind-No problems yet, but the FSM/Install instructions show it.
    On mounting the skid plate, we got 3 studs, 3 nutserts, 3 nuts.
    For the studs, the holes are too small, do we just drive the stud up, re-tapping the hole?
    Do we even need the nutserts, or could we just use std bolts on the back side.
    Or if we use nutserts, which end is up, or is it hollow down right?
    Thanks for the help, good luck.

------------------
    95XJ - SelectTrac, ABS, Stock 105k
    96ZJ - Wifes Stock 70k
    96ZJ - DD Stock 160k+
    95XJ - SelectTrac, ABS, Stock (sold at 130k, now has 180+k)

Registered

here is how I did my whole installation. Total time approx 30 minutes. Most of that getting up and getting tools. I dont use a sway bar so that made my install easier. First line up skid plate to see what holes on frame you will use. Mine was one of the holes from the sway bar. Next I bolted up the rear of the skid. Tightened the three on one side and the one on the other. Plate was fimly in place after that. The wholes in the front of the plate did not line up to any of the existing holes on my xj. I just drilled three holes that lined up with the skid and used 3 bolts, nuts, and washers. Tightened everything up and it was done. Any other questions just email me. I am thinking about doing the gas tank skid this evening but I dont think it will be as easy.

I just want to know why anyone would install that front skid plate....from what I see on trails it just gets in the way?!
    The artist formerly known as XJNATION

LIFE IS AN OBSTACLE...GET OVER IT

Registered

Keep the snow from packing into the suspension,like a upside down snow plow.
    Also keeps the brush, small trees from getting in there too.
    Thanks, I'll just throw out those crush nuts, and do the same.
    ------------------
    95XJ - SelectTrac, ABS, Stock 105k
    96ZJ - Wifes Stock 70k

[This message has been edited by jrford (edited 11-06-2001).]
    96ZJ - DD Stock 160k+
    95XJ - SelectTrac, ABS, Stock (sold at 130k, now has 180+k)