Thread: Radiator drain valve clogged?

Angry Radiator drain valve clogged?

went to drain a little coolant out of my radiator so i could replace my thermostat.
    Turned the little plastic valve on the driver side of the radiator 90 degrees and nothing came out. I know there is coolant in the radiator.
    How do you unclog the drain? Is it most likely clogged from the inside or is there mud in the tube on the outside?
    I didn't screw with it too much since my garage was cold and that stupid splash guard was in my way.

------------------
    Dan
    95 ZJ limited 5.2l, stock...for now.
    84 CJ-7,Weber,HEI,1"body/1"shackle lift,K&N, YJ tub, etc...
    Dan's Jeep Page
    Dan
    '84 CJ-7,Weber,HEI,YJ tub,Onboard Welder,OBA,etc...
    '47 CJ-2A...in a pile.
    n2jeepn.com

Jeep Shirts & stuff

can't tell you how to unclog the plug, but i can tell you that if you just loosen the lower radiator hose clamp and slide the hose off you'll drain your radiator darn quick!

i had the same problem as you, and the bad part is that after doing a bunch of engine work, i can't remember which direction the radiator drain valve turned to be shut off. i just know i've probably got it going the wrong way and one of these days it'll just unclog itself and my radiator will drain all over the hiway.

i did see a ton of replacement valves similar to the ones that we have on the bottom of our radiators at autozone...but i didn't look into them much. might be able to just replace a clogged one easily though. anyone else?
    -'93ZJ, V8LTD, Krash's Kustom Bong Arms, 6" w/ 37" BFG MT's, Shaved 14b, HP44. Armored, locked, self erecting, and ready to pick up homos. 205,000 miles and still pumping strong!

-1944 Willys MB (green w/ a big white star on the hood!)

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads!"

Terra Jeep Club
    ~ZJ Submarine Club~ (closet member- if you have to ask, there's a reason you don't know)
    SJC- President

I just drained and refilled the coolant on my 98, the valve unscrews just like a regular bolt (counterclockwise) it's plastic so be careful. Before I did this I bought a spare in case I broke the old one getting it off. My guess you might be able to get it to drain by unscrewing it a few turns and then running a wire through it (probably clogged with some crud in the bottom of the rad).
    Worth a shot , easier than pulling the lower rad hose.

------------------
    Lou C

98 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac Mopar skids tow hooks, tow hitch, Painless Wiring headlight bypass harness, Hella 450 fogs
    Lou C

98 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
    H-4/ECE Headlights, Painless Wiring Harness, Hella 450 fogs
    Front and rear tow hitches, Air Lift, Bilsteins
    Dynomax Cat Back Exhaust
    B&M Supercooler

07 WK Limited 5.7 HEMI Quadradrive II

1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
    4.3 OMC/Cobra Drive

Registered

Your drain is not clogged. you can't just turn it 90 degrees and expect to coolant to come out.

Lou is right it is kinda like a bolt, but you have to pull it out as well. To drain: It needs to be turned 90 degrees and pulled out~1/4" to start draining. Then to come out completely turn it another 90 degrees form there, and then pull out and the whole plug will come out. Be very careful, the first time is very hard to get it out and too much force and you'll break it, since it is plastic. It is a piss poor design, and probably might just be easier to pull the lower radiator hose.

------------------
    John Anderson

98 ZJ Laredo SE | AMSOIL Synthetics | Automotive Lubrication Forum | zj4play@oiltechonline.com
    John Anderson
    98 ZJ Laredo SE, 5.2L V8, with lots of toys

Lightbulb

Ah-ha...
    I had no idea you had to pull the thing out...I thought I read somewhere to just turn it 90 degrees.
    I hate newer cars(yes I know this is a Jeep, not a car...I'm generalizing)...what ever happened to the simple METAL screw out things on the bottom of radiators...like my CJ has.
    Guess I'll try it again tonight.
    Thanks

------------------
    Dan
    95 ZJ limited 5.2l, stock...for now.
    84 CJ-7,Weber,HEI,1"body/1"shackle lift,K&N, YJ tub, etc...
    Dan's Jeep Page

[This message has been edited by Dan 95 ZJ (edited 12-14-2001).]
    Dan
    '84 CJ-7,Weber,HEI,YJ tub,Onboard Welder,OBA,etc...
    '47 CJ-2A...in a pile.
    n2jeepn.com

Jeep Shirts & stuff

Well FWIW, I only had to turn mine maybe 1 turn before coolant spurt out, I had not problem draining it this way.

------------------
    Lou C

98 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac Mopar skids tow hooks, tow hitch, Painless Wiring headlight bypass harness, Hella 450 fogs
    Lou C

98 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
    H-4/ECE Headlights, Painless Wiring Harness, Hella 450 fogs
    Front and rear tow hitches, Air Lift, Bilsteins
    Dynomax Cat Back Exhaust
    B&M Supercooler

07 WK Limited 5.7 HEMI Quadradrive II

1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
    4.3 OMC/Cobra Drive