Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Argh! The dealer neutered my WJ!!!

Angry Argh! The dealer neutered my WJ!!!

I finally got around to having the WJ serviced with 35,935 on the odometer. My friend's dealership totally fixed the leather and electrical problems which I'm happpy with, but I also asked them to look into an occasional transmission clunk on downshift. The bummer is that I forgot to tell the dealer NOT to flash the PCM (which Brett kindly reminded me of today, AFTER the fact ). Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! They flashed me with the TCM 05019701AC and the PCM 56044684AI. What exactly do these do? I haven't had the chance to drive the WJ yet cause I couldn't pick it up (wife is still at the hospital), but I'm kinda bummed cause I have to pull the PCM and hopefully have it flashed again by Nick's buddies. Another week of downtime!

------------------
    Anton Cabellon

'00 4.7L V8 WJ Limited, 7" lift
    Specs and Mods
    Midwest Jeepthing

[This message has been edited by AAMC (edited 12-06-2001).]

Wasn't it PeterK that was posting about the effects of the various flashes? You could do a search about a year or so ago to read the threads. I remember one that he posted that was titled "Quit calling it Neutered"! The term may be what to search for. He wrote that the trans flash really didn't hurt the performance but the many complaints regarding ping caused them to dial back the timing.
    '94 Laredo 5.2 V8, Dark Blue w/Driftwood, Edelbrock IAS shocks, Hotchkis sport springs, Addco sway bars w/ greaseable urethane bushings, Kolak CatnBack sans Flowmaster (Magnaflow replacement for sound), several other minor goodies

'99 Limited 4.7 V8, Platinum w/Agate

Registered

Yeah... but Anton has the distinct problem that his PCM had been given the elusive "Mopar Performance" flash by the secret auto computer geeks only known to Kolak as "My Mopar friends" That's a bummer Anton... well... hopefully with those miles you'll never have to go back to the dealer again... at least that's my plan

------------------
    Jay Franklin
    99WJ47QDUC
    Jay Franklin
    99WJ47QDUC

Registered

Bwahahahahhahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahah ahahahahah!

Good thing you can get it reflashed with the perf. code...only problem is: hopefully the programmer of the PCMs will have the same part number cal. file to regression flash to...

Sorry, not funny...

Brett
    Brett, 85 4runner, ARBs, Dual cases, OBA, 35" MT/R

www.kevinsjeepparts.com
    www.claytonoffroad.com
    kolak@aol.com
    My pics

Registered

I forgot to mention, the latest PCM flash is everything you hate+more...meaning it cures the whiney bitches issue with rod knocking on high load acceleration...

Wah wah wah...

Anton, check my sig:

------------------
    2001 WJ,4.7L,QD,Sienna. Lowered, chopped and channeled.
    http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=Tron&album_id=41459
    On order: TR Front with Brush guard and fog light ports.
    On it's way: AEV Selway rack.

www.kevinsjeepparts.com
    www.claytonoffroad.com
    kolak@aol.com
    My pics

Arrow

Brett,
    Are you f'in serious about the regression crap or are you just pullin' my chain? I just got an email back from Nick saying that he would look into it. It may cost me a couple of bucks to have this thing redone again. This blows big time cause it was one of the performance mods that I actually liked; all to be erased by one stroke of a key. The drive tomorrow won't be BWAAAAAAH, it'll be bwaah . Yeah, so what does this TCM flash do? BTW, you got an awesome deal on the rack! I'm jealous.

Anton

[This message has been edited by AAMC (edited 12-06-2001).]

Registered

I'm sorry but I am thinking the regression thing is OK for you, because it was done once before...

The TCM flash is for the harsh down/up shifts btwn 3-4 and 4-5.

[This message has been edited by Tron (edited 12-06-2001).]

www.kevinsjeepparts.com
    www.claytonoffroad.com
    kolak@aol.com
    My pics

Exclamation

Not a new idea, but what if you printed out a brightly colored label with "No Flash" icons and laminated it to the module when you get it back. At least you won't have to rely on the word getting back to the Tech before he innocently zaps you again.
    '94 Laredo 5.2 V8, Dark Blue w/Driftwood, Edelbrock IAS shocks, Hotchkis sport springs, Addco sway bars w/ greaseable urethane bushings, Kolak CatnBack sans Flowmaster (Magnaflow replacement for sound), several other minor goodies

'99 Limited 4.7 V8, Platinum w/Agate

Arrow

Funny you say that Jim, cause on my steering wheel on other occasions, I have left a big post it note saying "DO NOT FLASH without my consent," and have even taped off the port for the computer.

Anton

Registered

While we are on this topic, I would like to know any ill effects a flash will have on my '01. I am taking it in for the fuel pump TSB next week and I don't want to have any performance taken away. Should I keep them from flashing the TCM/PCM? I know my '01 came with the 882 from the factory so I guess it's not that big of a deal. I am also having problems with the 2-1 hard downshift. Should I let them flash me?

TIA

Tom
    2001 WJ 4.7 with a few mods

Registered

Tom,

If I were you I would ask for the TCM flash but NOT the PCM flash...setup a time to drop it off and ask to speak to the technician personally.

www.kevinsjeepparts.com
    www.claytonoffroad.com
    kolak@aol.com
    My pics

Registered

Thanks Brett. Will do.
    2001 WJ 4.7 with a few mods

That sucks..... least you can get it fixed by mailing it in. Unfortunately I think they flash anything they can get their hands on.... & the more you try to discourage them the more they want to do it. Some people in this world just can't leave anything alone. My Jeep has never driven the same since the 882 flash. I keep hoping someday they'll flash it again & things will improve.... but I don't think so. That's the DC way for you....

------------------
    JT

1999 WJ 4.0L, NV242 (Everglade/Agate)
    2012 JKU Gecko Green

Banned

Unhappy

Sux man

------------------
    Adam, 2001 Mall Cruizer from HELL!

Banned

Dude that sucks man...Sorry to hear that.

Tony Rizzo

Registered

The latest TCM flash is good. My WJ has not had one weird shift ever since I got it. It used to do some really harsh shift when I slowed down gradually to a stop. Also used to shift really hard into Reverse from Park. Also would sometimes stay at redline for too long. Haven't had any complaints since the flash.

As far as the PCM flash, I thought re-flashes were free?

vic

------------------
    2000 Black/Camel JGC Limited V8 QuadratracII
    Audio: Alpine, Xtant, PPI, Focal, Boston Acoustics, JLAudio
    Security: Clifford
    Performance: Carsound Cat, Flowmaster 70, Poweraid TB Spacer, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, Teraflex BB2W, Rancho 5401 Steering Stabilizer, PIAA Platinum, K&N FIPK, Rear Addco 1" Swaybar, 18" Gara 805s, Michelin X-Terrain 275/55/18, Cabin Air Filter
    2000 Black/Camel JGC Limited V8 QuadratracII
    Audio: Alpine, Xtant, PPI, Focal, Boston Acoustics, JLAudio
    Security: Clifford
    Performance: Carsound Cat, Flowmaster 70, Poweraid TB Spacer, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, Teraflex BB2W, Rancho 5401 Steering Stabilizer, PIAA Platinum, K&N FIPK, Rear Addco 1" Swaybar, 18" Gara 805s, Michelin X-Terrain 275/55/18, Cabin Air Filter

Lightbulb

Maybe someone should make stickers up so we can put them on our PCMs? Something like:

"ATTENTION" This PCM has been altered with a performance enhancement. DO NOT TAMPER with or REPROGRAM. Please consult the owner of this vehicle before proceeding.

------------------
    2000 WJ Selec-Trac 4.7L 11-23-99 build date, Set up W/ Handicapped Controls, WeatherTech Window Visors, Turbo City Air Tube & K&N Conical Filter, K&N PreFilter, Kolak Headlamp Wiring Harness, High beam bulb Conversion i.e. High Beams All Around (HB, LB, & FL), Anthony's BB, Up Country Springs, JeepsUnlimited.com sticker (makes it go faster), the list continues as I get bored....
    2000 WJ, Selec-Trac, 4.7L, 11-23-99 build date, Set up W/ Handicapped Controls, WeatherTech Window Visors, Turbo City Air Tube & K&N Filter, HO Exhaust to the muffler, Spintech Sportsman XL, 3" SS Tip, Cabin Filter, Adj. IAT Sensor, Headlamp Wiring Harness, High Beams Bulbs All Around (HB, LB, & FL), Up-Dated front and rear drive shafts, Up-dated Calipers and Pads, Wet Okole Seat Covers(Black), Cobra 75 WX ST All-in-handset Mobile CB, Firestik KW4, Anthony's BB, OME Heavy Duty Springs, JKS Adjustable Track Bar, JKS Sway-Bar Discos, Doetsch Tech Shocks, Rancho SS, Factory Gas Tank Skid Plate, Factory Tow Package W/Steel Horse Hitch Hook, 265/75R16 Firestone MTs, Aussie locker, Mountain Valley Customs 44HD Axle Truss/Skid Plate, Timberline Wheels painted Charcoal Grey Metallic.

Registered

I doubt the techs ever actually look at the PCM. The place to put the DO NOT FLASH notice is on the computer diagnostic port, under the dash near your left knee.

------------------
    --John

'99 JGC Laredo 28F, Taupe Frost,
    V8, Quadra-Drive, Up Country, Tow Package,
    K&N Drop-In, Edelbrock Performer IAS Shocks,
    Stillen Brake Rotors, Raybestos PG Plus Pads,
    OME Steering Stabilizer, Mopar Cabin Air Filter,
    Bugflector II, 9005 Bulbs in Factory Fogs,
    DIY Cargo Liner
    DIY Computer Mount

Banned

How about on the steering wheel, under the hood, on the PCM, on the air filter hose, cooling fan cover...Then maybe they will know NOT to flash the freaking thing!

Tony Rizzo

I figure if you put all those stickers on there they are going to say "Hmm.... lets find out why this guy doesn't want us to flash his PCM..."

------------------
    JT

1999 WJ 4.0L, NV242 (Everglade/Agate)
    2012 JKU Gecko Green

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast