Thread: what size speakers for a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Registered

Question what size speakers for a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

i got a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and i was wondering how i can actually get to the speakers in the doors? do i have to take of the panelling? or if anyone could even help me out as to what size they are (is there a standard size) i would appreciate it...thanx. peace

Registered

I'm pretty sure they are 6.5".

or 6"??

wtf.. how can I not remember...

Just take them out and look !

------------------
    1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L V8
    *Front PushBar with PIAA 520*Kolak Ignition Kit*Stock silver '97 rims*Mopar Performance ECU*Edelbrok IAS shocks*Factory towing package*Clarion Head CD head unit*Fosgate Punch 800a5 5 Channel amp*Fosgate 10" sub in Ported Box*
    *Car Sound high flow converter*Flowmaster 70 series muffler*Mike Leach tailpipe*Kolak Headlight Wiring Harness*K&N FIPK gen II* Yokohama Geolander A/Ts 235/75 R16s
    1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L V8 - Sold!

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR4
    No. 754/100
    GT12 BB Turbo, FP v.II Cams, 3.5" Exhaust, Walhbro 255l, 650ccs, Shep Racing Tranny, 4 Spyder Center Diff, lots more...

Registered

They are 6.5
    98 5.9 Grand Cherokee (Lost her 10.2.03)

93 ZJ
    I6, Auto, NP249 SOLD
    Set of 5 15x8 Canyon cast wheels and full size spare.
    Alpine sound system with ZJ Sound Bar, infinity speakers and JL stealth box.
    K&N drop in, MSD spark plug wires, 3.73 Gears,
    Tera Flex S3Z Installed 4.20.00-4.23.00, ARB Bull Bar
    Installed 7.11.00

91YJ Project Jeep
    I6, 5 Speed, NP231
    4" suspension lift with 33x12.50 on 15x10 wheels, custom bumpers and full size tire rack with identical wheel and tire, CD player, sound bar, Hard Top and Hard Doors. 4.11 gears with an OX locker. Rhino Lining in the tub and over the lip. Most recent mod: Rear Disks!!

Registered

They are 6.5"

if you are replacing, seriously consider getting your new ones from Crutchfield.com - they supply the extra brackets and wiring adapters (usually free?) to make installation easier.
    I put Infinity Kappa's in the front doors...worthwhile investment over the stock papercones.
    1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L
    Loaded but stock, often very badly behaved. Usually in (very) cold storage -- until I move back to America.

UC Springs, big Mich LTX/AT tires, plenty of new parts everywhere, decent speakers all 'round, leather

Daily driver (in England): '89 Honda Civic GL 1.4 16v twin-carb, 34k miles!

They are 6-1/2"S or 6-3/4" size. The front speakers are single woofer cones, and the rear door speakers are coaxials. You need to find all the screws in the door panels, and then pull the panel off tugging at the clips. The Crutchfield suggestion is a good one. They will even supply you a wiring connector that allows new speakers to use the existing connector without cutting.
    '94 Laredo 5.2 V8, Dark Blue w/Driftwood, Edelbrock IAS shocks, Hotchkis sport springs, Addco sway bars w/ greaseable urethane bushings, Kolak CatnBack sans Flowmaster (Magnaflow replacement for sound), several other minor goodies

'99 Limited 4.7 V8, Platinum w/Agate

Talking

I know I've responded on this subject before. May wanna do a search.. My 93 came with 6.5S(oversized) also called 6.75 inches. 4ohm coaxials(2 speakers in one) in the rear doors and 8ohm singles on the front door, which are also wired to the 8ohm tweeters in each side of front dash. effectively all four corners 4ohm. you need to remove the door panels to get to them. remove the screws(some are under caps) and then gently pry the bottom out. when mostly loose, lift it up and out,cause there's a top lip. Be careful with the power door lock and window wiring.. Fyi,I cut the back out of the old speakers and Gorilla glued in 6.0inch 4ohm triaxials to all four old rims with the mounting holes. Soldered the new speakers to the old connectors and just plugged them in like they were factory. Impedence mismatch didn't bother me too much. I'm not a boom box..Good luck....George

------------------
    1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L Hunter Green Metallic w/Command Trac(NP231)
    Factory off road package(all skids), Class III tow hitch, Anthony's 2"BB lift, Kolak 2.5 inch Carsound Cat & Flowmaster 70 exhaust w/ Mike Leach tailpiece and Algelis SS Tip, K&N Filtercharger drop in air filter, Accel Super coil, OME SD40. Full Amsoil Synthetic fluids. Class ABC fire ext. onboard. RCI-2970 CB w/Wilson 1000 ant.,Rusty's front tow hooks & Warn rcvr shackle
    '02 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7L V8 Onyx Green-K&N FIPK :shadey:
    '93 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L I6(Sold)
    My other Jeep is a 1994 Pearl Aqua Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Electra Glide :mypony:

Smile

I just noticed you're in Philly. Shoot me an e-mail with your phone number if you want me to give you a hand. I've got a sample one cut if you wanna see one.. georgem461@home.com
    OK????....George
    '02 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7L V8 Onyx Green-K&N FIPK :shadey:
    '93 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L I6(Sold)
    My other Jeep is a 1994 Pearl Aqua Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Electra Glide :mypony:

Registered

THANX GUYS....george do u got an aol instant messanger name? if u do u can im me: MeS RoX 2o0o

To check which lead is positive to the speaker, connect a flashlight battery to the leads. If the speaker moves out, the positive of the battery is the positive of the speaker. Very simple.
    '94 Laredo 5.2 V8, Dark Blue w/Driftwood, Edelbrock IAS shocks, Hotchkis sport springs, Addco sway bars w/ greaseable urethane bushings, Kolak CatnBack sans Flowmaster (Magnaflow replacement for sound), several other minor goodies

'99 Limited 4.7 V8, Platinum w/Agate