Thread: Just making sure this sounds like bad rotors

Registered

Question Just making sure this sounds like bad rotors

When I hit the brakes and turn at the same time, my ZJ makes a swishing-grinding noise and some clunking. It happens in a straight line too, but it seems worse in turns; lately i've noticed I need extra brake pressure to stop quickly. I'm pretty sure it is, but does this sound like bad rotors to you guys? I've read all about the bad rotors that came stock, but I want to make sure that is in fact the problem before I sink money into stillens and then find out it's something else.
    One more thing: I was reading in the service manual about the caliper overhaul. When I get in there to do the rotors and pads, what do I need to look for that would tell me I need to do the calipers too? Or should I just plan on it anyway. I'll probably get the parts before hane to have them if I need them.
    95 ZJ 5.2L V8
    Stillens, Kolak Ignition
    30x9.5 MT's

Registered

Sound like you just got bad pads. Look through the wheel and see if there are any groves in the rotors..if so you got metal to metal grinding(new pads and rotors are needed). If no groves in rotor you may just need some new pads. But best way is to take off the wheel and inspect both.

There's are lots of GC with warped rotors...one of the symptoms are...while applying the brake at certain speeds you can feel wobbles in the steering wheel...

------------------
    PhotoPoint

1994 ZJ V8 Selectrac 7" Lift and other gizmos

"Jeep. It's not a hobby or a sport--it's an obsession."
    1994 ZJ V8 Selectrac 5.5" Lift, 37" rubbers and other gizmos SOLD!!

1998 5.9 TOTALED!!

2006-current JEEPLESS!!

"Jeep. It's not a hobby or a sport--it's an obsession."

Registered

Hey!
    If your rotors are ok DO NOT RESURFACE THEM if you do that will be your worst nightmare just replace the brake pads for the best quality you can afford, i used Raybestos Quiet stop for the front about 65 to 70 dlls the front set (ceramic pads is a must)... do not use oem matalic they SUCK!! and your wallet will be hurt....
    HASTA LA VISTA COMPADRE!!

Registered

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pufferman:
    There's are lots of GC with warped rotors...one of the symptoms are...while applying the brake at certain speeds you can feel wobbles in the steering wheel...</font>
    That's really what got my thinking it was the rotors. It wobbles and pulses until I slow to 10-15 MPH. Does this sporadically, its clunking more every time. I'll check it out this afternoon. Thanks guys.
    95 ZJ 5.2L V8
    Stillens, Kolak Ignition
    30x9.5 MT's