Thread: Connecting Amp to Stock TJ stereo

Registered

Question Connecting Amp to Stock TJ stereo

Today i took out my TJ's radio and noticed there was no RCA outputs. How do I connect my amp to this?

------------------
    Ruben Zamora
    98 Flame Red Jeep TJ SE
    2.5L, 5spd, KC Daylighters

Ruben Zamora

Registered

TJ, the only way you can is to use an Amp with a regular speaker wire feed. The other option is to go with an aftermarket radio. Might be a good time to put in a new CD player.
    99TJ 4.0L, Jeeperman front bumper, Warn HS9500i winch, Kennesaw Mtn. rear bumper and tire carrier, Tom Wood SYE and CV shaft, 4.88's, 37" SSR's, Borla exhaust, Ford 9" rear W/ Detroit and discs, Long arm W/ 8" lift. Toy's by Troy cage with spreaders.

Yep, you have to use one of the regular speaker feeds. I suggest finding a good aftermarket, with at least one set of pre-amp jacks.

Registered BlackJeepOfTheFamily's Avatar

You will need to run the speaker leads (front , rear, or both if you want your fader to control to work) into a line Level Adapter. This will take the Amplified signal to nil and remove any distortion before feeding your Amp.

Also, some Amps will accept an amplified signal and have a bult-in adapter. (My Rockford Fosgate 4.6 Amp has this) it has inputs for front and rear , left and right (4 Channel) as well as RCA jack inputs for non-amplified sources.

------------------
    Mike Biletski Blacked-Out97'TJ Sahara Lift'd K&N'd....Exhaust'd

My Jeep Web Site

California Tops site

Registered

I guess I'll just get a good little Kenwood Cd player. The have a 6disk changer with a kenwood tape deck for 299.00 I'll check it out. THanks guys.

oh, and my amp has something that says Hi Level Input. and it has a square little thing to plug in. what does that mean?

------------------
    Ruben Zamora
    98 Flame Red Jeep TJ SE
    2.5L, 5spd, KC Daylighters

Ruben Zamora

You should've asked 'the man'. haha

You can get a AudioLink line output converter (what BJOTF was talking about - use it with your stocker) for 29.95 at Crutchfield. I highly recommend them, as they got me my sub box materiel in 2 days, just like they said. And this was 3 days before Xmas. 1-800-955-3000 or crutchfield.com

yes, i am their new spokesman because they treated me right my very first time ordering and they were pretty helpful.

------------------
    Chris H - 97 SE-Sport
    Jeep Dreaming
    AIM - KimThayill
    Yahoo - _jrossi

Registered

Where it says High Leve Input a plug with some wires attatched to it which sould have came with your amp goes. This is where you can wire in your stock speaker wiring to supply a signal to the amp. Though a better way to connect it is with a line level convertor and even better way is straight RCA.

TmbrRtlr

------------------
    93 YJ Wrangler, 2.5l, K&N, Flowmaster, 30x9.50 AT's on 15x8 wheels. Sway and track bars removed.
    Herculiner'd tub, Warn HS9500i winch, Hand Throttle.

Extreme Wisconsin Jeepers Club

2000 TJ: Warn HS9500i, Sway bar disco's, 30" AT's on 15x8 wheels(trail soon to be muds), Factory Canyon Tire/wheel for street(GSA's suck off road), D44, 3.73. TracLok, 1/4" custom Diamond Plate Rocker protection, 2" RE lift w/ Rusty's shocks, Hand Throttle.

"Bought it to drive it, Not to let it sit in the Driveway and look pretty"

Registered

You can get the line-level converters cheaper at Radio Shack ($19.99). Also they have adjustable gain (not sure about Crutchfield). Or, if you don't have the high-level modular plug, write your amp manufactuor with the model and serial number of your amp, and they will most likely send you one at n/c.

Not to steer you away from Crutch...they are the best!

Also, sidebar: If you notice alternator whine when amped, buy the Ground Loop Isolator unit at Radio Shack as well.
    Mello's Rocky Mountain High......
    2000 TJ Sahara, XD9000i, Runck, Huskys, Sunrider, Manik GG, 2" TM + 1" Body, Tomken Skids, K&N and TC Airtube, TFX Katback, coming soon..dual ARB's and new shoes...

Quit reading this and GO OUTSIDE!

Registered

Smile

I'm thinkin' 'bout changin' my factory radio to the Pioneer DEH-P86DHR (cd player with built in mosfet 45 amp). It has controls for a multi-cd changer built into the radio so I can get the Pioneer CDX-P650 6 multi-cd changer. I plan on puttin' the changer in my console.

Now, let me ask this question. Am I gonna have a problem with the CD's skippin'?

------------------
    Duncan

2000 Black and Tan Wrangler Sport
    No Mods YET!!!
    Duncan

2000 Black and Tan Wrangler TJ Sport
    My TJ

Registered

I think I can answer that - probably not. Most modern CD players have 10 to 45 second digital memory read-ahead. It may skip, but you probably won't know it.

Make sure the unit you're putting in the console can be mounted vertically - some can't. Also, use a low-durometer (squishy) rubber bushing at the mount points.
    Mello's Rocky Mountain High......
    2000 TJ Sahara, XD9000i, Runck, Huskys, Sunrider, Manik GG, 2" TM + 1" Body, Tomken Skids, K&N and TC Airtube, TFX Katback, coming soon..dual ARB's and new shoes...

Quit reading this and GO OUTSIDE!

Registered

I've had the same sony cd player head unit for 5 years now... It started life in a 87 4wd chevy pickup which has worn out shocks and such and didn't skip a bit... (good mounting) from there it went into a 92 Chevy Cavalier (dunno why I bought a car) and it skipped... (poor mounting) finally I bought my YJ and mounted the cd player in the dash in the stock location. I have to almost jump my jeep to get it to skip. (choppy roads will do it to with the constant vibration). In the different vehicles mounting was the only difference. In hte truck with the metal dash the player was solidly mounted. In the car it would bounce because the plastic adapter kit didn't fit for ****!! (Pardon my language) In my Jeep I had to make a custom adapter as it was obviouse the orignal radio had be ripped out. So I solidly mounted the cd player with a piece of 14 ga sm. With both solids mounts I don't have much of a problem. With the new cd players of today mount it good and you shouldn't have too many problems.

TmbrRtlr

------------------
    93 YJ Wrangler, 2.5l, K&N, Flowmaster, 30x9.50 AT's on 15x8 wheels. Sway and track bars removed.
    Herculiner'd tub, Warn HS9500i winch, Hand Throttle.

Extreme Wisconsin Jeepers Club

2000 TJ: Warn HS9500i, Sway bar disco's, 30" AT's on 15x8 wheels(trail soon to be muds), Factory Canyon Tire/wheel for street(GSA's suck off road), D44, 3.73. TracLok, 1/4" custom Diamond Plate Rocker protection, 2" RE lift w/ Rusty's shocks, Hand Throttle.

"Bought it to drive it, Not to let it sit in the Driveway and look pretty"