Thread: steel horse center consoles?

Registered

Post steel horse center consoles?

looking for a new center console, and saw a steel horse one that i really liked, but was wondering as to the quality of these. are they built to the high standards that their bumpers and such are? LOL! god i would hope not. i can't afford a tuffy right now, but plan on one in the future, i just need one to last me a little while, my factory one is all busted to hell.
    thanx

------------------
    1991 wrangler
    big, blue, and beaten
    poop load of stuff

1994 cherokee
    are wheels 28" pirelli scorpions, rusty's flowmaster exhaust, rusty's airtube.
    "if it's stuck, and it ain't broke, you did something wrong"

peace and humptiness forever!
    97 tj
    46 willys

Registered

Talking

I installed a steelhorse center console in my 93 YJ,and they're nice,lot of room,but the they take a lot of place too.Not much room at the back.Not really hard to install only take take time to fit the rear bracket near where the belts are bolt to the floor.
    The lock look strong ,i've seen worst.

------------------
    New jeep user,own a black 93 yj 2.5 with alot of mod. to do.
    WILL RACE FOR FOOD...
    93 Black YJ ,4 angry squirrels ,1 1/2 shackles,AR-767, 31" BF,4.0l TB, cow seat cover and a lots of other mods to do.

I have one. Err it's OK. The lock has since fallen into the compartment it's supposed to be locking. But if you only need it for a while I guess it would work.

Registered

They aren't horrible for the price, but I wouldn't waste your money. I have the standard console. It is too wide and sits very snug between the seat. The vinyl material covering it cuts easily. The front curved portion is made of cardboard with very little structural integrity... I have had to reinforce (fix) it with additional wood supports. The lock is a joke... a few pounds of pressure on the passenger side of the console lid allows you to "unhook" the locking mechanism and open the console.

It does make a nice armrest, but the quality is lacking.

------------------
    1994 YJ, 2.5l, 3.5" Rusty's lift, TrueTrac rear, Tomken/Turbo City skids, 31x10.5 BFG ATs, 4-Plus disconnects, Optima red top, K&N filter, Posi-lock...
    1994 YJ, 2.5l, 3.5" Rusty's lift, Tom Woods SYE, TrueTrac rear, skids, 31x10.5 BFG ATs, 4+ disconnects, Optima red, K&N filter, Posi-lock, QuickAir2...

Registered

Where are these rave reviews coming from? I had one complete and total junk, material tears, plastic cupholders crack, hinges work out of the plywood (much of it is also carboard). Susceptible to warping if it gets wet. Run and hide! Only good think about it was the armrest was cushy
    Just my nickel (was $0.02 darn inflation )

- 2006 Liberty Sport CRD "Smogger", Dark Khaki, stock and staying that way. P.S. I am slowly getting addicted to SIRIUS.............

- 82 CJ-8 Light Khaki metallic restored. 4.0L engine and fuel injection rebuilt and ready for transplant.

-99 TJ "sport" 4.0L auto sold to my father, oh well I can still borrow it.

-93 YJ (RIP 9/6/04) oh well the 4.0L 32RH will nicely replace the CJ8s 4.2L TF999.

Registered

PLYWOOD!!!!

POS - the lock is a joke. It does have a lot of room and the armrest is great, but don't keep anything in it because the lock is crap. The whole thing is made of plywood, the front plastic sunglass holder broke the first week I had it. The ULTIMATE LOCKING CONSOLE??? I think NOT!

I got this because I was thinking ..."how bad can it be for less than $100?" Save your money and get a TUFFY.

Paul

Registered

I have thier "Ultimate Locking Console" in my YJ and it was ok for the short time it held together. It's snug between the seats, but is very roomy. It's made cheaply and the hinge has come out of it, the lock is worthless, and the top covering has cracked and is coming apart. As a convenience, the cup holders are too high so I hit any drink I have in there with my hand when shifting (5 speed).

I saw Bestop has a console out for a little more money that looks like a better product. I haven't owned a Bestop product that I haven't liked yet.

Hope this helps.

Registered

thanx, i think that it is pretty much a no brainer as to what my decision is. i think that i may have to look into that best top console though.

97 tj
    46 willys