Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Power Steering Fluid Leak

Default Power Steering Fluid Leak

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.7 V8, 2WD

Hey guys, back again. Great forum by the way. I noticed some stains on the driveway today where my wife parks the Jeep. These are new as I make a point to check the driveway beneath the Jeep for leaks regularly (its a Jeep). I crawled under the truck, and found some fluid running down one of the power steering hoses beneath the PS pump. I did some searching on the forum, and found this thread-

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...36#post4512836

Is this a common problem? Would I be safe to just order a new hose to fix this leak, or is it possibly a problem with the PS pump?

Also, since the PS pump was low on fluid at this point, I went to the dealership to get the fluid since I've read that WJ's require MS5931. Well, I didn't check before I topped off the fluid, but the dealership sold me MS10838 hydraulic fluid. Will this harm my PS system? I haven't run the truck with MS10838 fluid yet, so I suppose I can drain it if need be.

Also, I removed the top radiator hose so I could try to tighten the fitting on top of the PS pump. Some coolant came out in the process (not much), but it was reddish in color. Is this the high mileage type coolant, or is my coolant filthy dirty?

Thanks guys
    2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited-2WD-V8

So far So good

You should clean the hose carefully and keep an eye out for new oil. If it is on the high pressure side it should be evident. Leaks on the low pressure are often easy to fix.

Valvoline Power steering fluid meets DC spec 5931, it should be widely available.

That hydraulic fluid is for the newer Jeeps, you'll probably want to get it out of there. It should take about a quart to flush the old nasty and incorrect fluids out.

I am unaware of any properly spec'd fluid that is red. At one point at an oil change my coolant OEM was topped off with 'universal' coolant that turned it into iridescent red sludge. You want to get that out as soon as possible also.

Valvoline makes a DC spec HOAT coolant called Zerex G-05 in the gold jug that is available at NAPA.

FWIW: NOTHING made by Prestone is the right stuff.
    -br

Helping one another is why we are all here on Jeeps-Unlimited, or should be.
    http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n171/Billy_Ray_2006/

Registered

Power steering hose a common problem. I was unable to stop leak until I replaced the hose. '01 has a hydraulic fan that runs off the p.s. pump. New hose a little tricky to install, but not too bad.

Thanks. I checked again today, I can see fluid gathering on the nut itself that attaches the hose to the top of the PS pump. Leak seems to be getting a little worse.

Has anyone ever dealt with this company before? Their price for the hose is the cheapest, and they claim to sell only genuine Mopar parts-

http://www.factorymoparparts.com/501...FQo3nAodj0kAfA

So far So good

Registered

That's a good price on that line. never dealt with them, but worth a shot. Let us know.

Default Help!

So I got the new hose. Removed the old hose lickety split. I had a really hard time lining up the fitting on the new hose with the female fitting on the pump (even without the fitting threaded on the fan). After trying several times, I thought for sure I had it lined up, so I torqued it down. It was cross threaded . The threads on the new hose are boogered up now. To verify that I didn't damage the female threads in the pump, I threaded the old hose back in place at the pump, and had no resistance.

My question is - what's the best way repair these threads on the new hose? Is it possible/worth the trouble? I thought maybe I could buy a pipe fitting from Lowes or something and thread it onto the hose fitting to straighten the threads back out... if so, does anyone know what size the fitting on the hose is? If I can repair the threads, what's the best way to avoid this happening again?

I'm dead in the water now, and need the truck to drive to work tomorrow. If I can't get this sorted out tonight, I'll just have to install the old leaky hose and try again some other time. Thanks for any help

So far So good

They do make taps and dies for both cutting and also cleaning up rusted and boogered threads;

Does the fitting use NPT, tapered gas flare, or what kind of threads?

Is the pump base steel or something soft?
    -br

Pump base appears to be steel.

This is the thread -

Thanks

So far So good

Quote Originally Posted by MarshMarlowe View Post
    Pump base appears to be steel.

This is the thread -

Thanks
    You might also try some hand work with a point file...
    -br

Thanks for the help and the quick reply Billy. I think for tonight I'm just gonna say f*#k it and put the old hose back on. I'll fool with the new one some other time.

So far So good

Registered

If you're gonna put your old hose back on, at least transfer the o-ring from new to old.

Check the o-ring seal for damage,

Where EXACTLY is the leak? Would teflon tape help?
    -br

I can't say for sure exactly where the leak is coming from, I cleaned everything up when I first discovered the leak, and the next day I saw PS fluid pooling on top of the nut that connects to the top of the PS pump.

Maybe some Teflon Tape would work. I can swap the O-Ring from the new hose to the old hose without risk of damaging the O-Ring? Please don't tell me I bought a $80 non-returnable O-Ring.

So far So good

Quote Originally Posted by MarshMarlowe View Post
    Has anyone ever dealt with this company before? Their price for the hose is the cheapest, and they claim to sell only genuine Mopar parts-

http://www.factorymoparparts.com/501...FQo3nAodj0kAfA
    I just ordered from them... was it genuine Mopar?

Soak the o-ring in power steering fluid for a while before removing... helps prevent tearing.

But yeah you might be able to use a fine file to fix the threads.
    Best Regards,

John V.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    2002 WJ Limited 4.7L ||| Inferno Red Tinted Pearl Coat ||| Quadra-Drive/Trac II 4WD System ||| Firestone Destinations LE2 245/65R17 @ 129,500 Miles
    1995 ZJ Laredo I-6 4L Auto (SOLD...good-bye old friend)
    Rubicon Express Budget Boost w/Monroe 37082/37081 Sensa-Trac Light Truck Shock Absorber ( Rides Like a Cadillac )
    31" Firestone Destination AT - Quiet, Sticks Like Glue

1989 XJ Laredo I-6 4L Auto (SOLD...good-bye old friend)

I actually bought the hose from justforjeeps.com because I heard that factorymoparparts.com was possibly a scam site. The hose is genuine Mopar

So far So good

OK thanks! I'll let you know if I get scammed!
    Best Regards,

John V.

2002 WJ Limited 4.7L ||| Inferno Red Tinted Pearl Coat ||| Quadra-Drive/Trac II 4WD System ||| Firestone Destinations LE2 245/65R17 @ 129,500 Miles
    Rubicon Express Budget Boost w/Monroe 37082/37081 Sensa-Trac Light Truck Shock Absorber ( Rides Like a Cadillac )

Hi to all,

if only changing the O-Ring stops the leak, it could be possible, for those who have this leak (me for example...LOL), only change it instead changing the complete part?

Could you please measure the O-ring before making the change (internal diameter and thickness)?

I have this leak since I bought the WJ (in 2009), but everyone told me that the O-ring was "absolutely impossible" to be changed, but on the photo it seems to be easy to change.

One more question: I tried to tighten the nut, but with a normal wrench is impossible (it catches the nut, but is impossible to turn it): could you please post a photo of which kind of wrench is to be used?

Many thanks to all
    Mak

'02 Jeep Grand Cherokee WG 4.7 V8 H.O. Overland
    '83 Alfa Romeo Alfetta Q.O.
    '74 Alfa Romeo Alfetta

In the future (I hope...): '70 Dodge Charger 500 with 383 4bbl

The paperwork I got with the hose stated to remove the adapter at the pump, but the way it read, this was only for the AD hose, not the AE hose. Is the adapter pictured below making the install of the new hose so difficult? Does anyone know what size the adapter is? I can't get a wrench on it because of the limited access. Thanks

So far So good

So, after cleaning up the threads as best as I could, still no luck getting the PS hose fitting to seat in PS pump, I went ahead and robbed the O-Ring from the new hose and put it on the old hose. I wrapped the threads on the old hose with Teflon tape and installed it back in the pump (once again, it threaded in without issue). I cleaned up everything and started the engine, let it run for a bit, and had the wife turn the wheel back and forth several times... no leaks that I can see. I'll monitor it for a few days to let the residual fluid leak off, and if in a few days I still have no leaks, I'll report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mak V8 View Post
    Hi to all,

if only changing the O-Ring stops the leak, it could be possible, for those who have this leak (me for example...LOL), only change it instead changing the complete part?

Could you please measure the O-ring before making the change (internal diameter and thickness)?

I have this leak since I bought the WJ (in 2009), but everyone told me that the O-ring was "absolutely impossible" to be changed, but on the photo it seems to be easy to change.

One more question: I tried to tighten the nut, but with a normal wrench is impossible (it catches the nut, but is impossible to turn it): could you please post a photo of which kind of wrench is to be used?

Many thanks to all
    The O-Ring is very possible to change. I did it, and that says something. The old O-Ring was compressed and had formed to the fitting and likely wasn't sealing as well as it used to.

I measured the O-Ring with my rudimentary tape measure as I don't have a caliper in my garage. Here's the measurements I got, and they're damn near spot on-

3/8"ID x 1/16"Thick

I still have the O-Ring on the bottom of the hose which is the same size... If I'm satisfied that the O-Ring was the fix on the old hose, I could send you the other O-Ring in the mail.

I also tried to tighten the nut before I removed the hose, and I couldn't get it to budge either. I used a shorty 20MM wrench as suggested by another member. Pictured-

After years of heat and pressure, that nut is really on there if you've never removed it before. I busted knuckles and drew blood removing the top and bottom nut on the hose, so be prepared.

So far So good

There should be an o-ring here that would fit:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=lok5xj
    Best Regards,

John V.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast