Thread: Removing Catalytic Converter from system

Registered

Icon928 Removing Catalytic Converter from system

98 ZJ 4.0. Once I remove the clamp in front of the cat will it theoretically twist out from the engine pipe and muffler? Any advice on facilitating the removal? I'm just looking to replace the cat so I rather not take a hacksaw to anything.
    Joe
    98 Laredo 4.0, Select-Trac, Redline synthetics, Cooper 235/75R15, Addco Ft (Mil) & Rear sway bar, PVC/K&N Home Brew CAI, Monroe Sensa Trac shocks

Quote Originally Posted by JoeZJ View Post
    98 ZJ 4.0. Once I remove the clamp in front of the cat will it theoretically twist out from the engine pipe and muffler? Any advice on facilitating the removal? I'm just looking to replace the cat so I rather not take a hacksaw to anything.
    I had to use an air chisel to peel mine back from the pipe and muffler. That front clamp squeezed and indented the cat so that superman would have had a tough time!

Registered

+1 with pkutan
    I tried Kroil, and carefully tapping all around the joint, but I could only get it to wiggle.
    I then resorted to using my sawzall and carefully cut along (not accross) the cat inlet tube and peeled the pipe away. It worked, but it was very time consuming.
    95 YJ - 4.0
    97 ZJ - 4.0, OME Susp., 31" BFG's

undo the clamp
    heat it up

take a block of wood and a sledge hammer and put the wood against the cat and hit it with the sledge
    86' Cherokee.. 2.8L..3" lift, 256,000 miles original trans motor rears tc...~Electric fan...
    ~Custom Switch panel on glovebox..~Custom overhead console..~Rear auxilary lights..

94' Grand Cherokee (DD)5.2L V8~242~Preformance ECU~Custom TurboCity Dual Intake W/ K&N Filters
    ~ML Headers~Custom Made Dynomax 3" Header-Back Exhaust
    ~3.5" RE~32's~5.9 E-Fan~UberRare Red 5.9hood :happpyd:
    ~RE adj. front trac bar~Rear Tire Carier~Remote Start~MX6 Shocks
    Soundclip of my Exhaust (right click and save as)

My Webpage(in the making...still....)

Registered

When you put it back in - have flanged welded to the cat to make this job easier next time.
    Kelley's Works in Progress - www.kelleyswip.com

every part of mine has flanges welded to them
    makes it very easy to change out what needs to be
    86' Cherokee.. 2.8L..3" lift, 256,000 miles original trans motor rears tc...~Electric fan...
    ~Custom Switch panel on glovebox..~Custom overhead console..~Rear auxilary lights..

94' Grand Cherokee (DD)5.2L V8~242~Preformance ECU~Custom TurboCity Dual Intake W/ K&N Filters
    ~ML Headers~Custom Made Dynomax 3" Header-Back Exhaust
    ~3.5" RE~32's~5.9 E-Fan~UberRare Red 5.9hood :happpyd:
    ~RE adj. front trac bar~Rear Tire Carier~Remote Start~MX6 Shocks
    Soundclip of my Exhaust (right click and save as)

My Webpage(in the making...still....)