Thread: Max Tire Size

Registered

Default Max Tire Size

Ok. I tried seaching and didn't find what I needed, although I'm sure it's been discussed plenty. With a 2" budget boost, what is the max tire size I can go over the stock 245/70/16 on my WJ without any issues?

31 inch tires will fit with a 2" lift. Perhaps a bit taller if they are thin.
    -br

Helping one another is why we are all here on Jeeps-Unlimited, or should be.
    http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n171/Billy_Ray_2006/

I have a stock WJ with 245/75/16 with a very small rubbing only if I top the steerring to the right while drivng on a slope, so those would fit with 2"
    Last edited by taz-g; 05-21-2012 at 02:30 PM.

The thing people don't understand is a bigger lift is not going to keep you from rubbing bigger tires. At FULL flex that 31 will rub on a 6 in lift the same as it does at stock height. The fender opening is only so big so unless you trim you can't stuff a bigger tire in it. Either triming or bumpstops are the only way around this. But to answer your question I found a 2457516 to be the max without harming the tire or vehicle.
    99 WJ 4.7 H.O. LTD QD
    K&N fipk, 4" IRO LA w/ 255/75/17 bfg km, 1.25 spidertrax, Rogues, Bilsteins, RB1, 3" Y back, Thule M.O.A.B., OBA System, Midland 75-822, 20% fronts, ARB + Superwinch, Flashpaq, Taurus elec fan, 180 stat, carolina driveline front shaft, jks discos + adj track bar, torque snip mod, overland sliders, obhs, dual battery,
    Zip Locker Front, all aluminum rad, 242HD in the garage

98XJ limited. stock. Sold.
    86MJ X 3" on 31s

Registered

jeepstreat - thanks. I'm just really looking for a more aggressive tire look with the 2" boost. I've got the stock 16" Silver Star rims. I don't want ANY rubbing issues. If I can get my hands on a set of the 17" 5 spoke Wrangler rims, I'd rather go with those, assuming there isn't any offset issues, etc. I think those would look good on a WJ.

265 75 16 and trimming a little plastic off the front bummer...well worth it for the "look".
    '02 WJ 4.0 6" IRO FLA's,BILSTIENS, IRO TB bracket, adj TB, Carolina DS, 4.56's, 8.8w/aussie(in progress), 33's

Registered

I did find a rim that I thought would look good on a WJ, but have some concerns. They are Mamba MR-1 rims listed on Quadratec's catalog and website. They are 17 x 8 and have a 5" bolt pattern with a 4.75" backspace. The fitment schedule says they will fit, but I thought that the stock WJ rims have a 6" or 6.25" backspace depending on 16" or 17". Is this Mamba rim going to sit too far inside the wheel well at 4.75" BS, causing a potential rubbing issue on the inside of the tire? I really don't want to use spacers to fill in this gap to bring it back toward 6", if possible. These rims look very similar to the JK Wrangler Moab rims, which I would rather have, but the OEM cost is much higher and chances of finding a used set locally is slim. If by chance I did find some used JK 17 x 7.5 Moab rims with a 6.25 backspace, what would be the largest tire size that would fit with NO rubbing issues? Thanks.

Just for reference, here is what my '99 looked like with a 2" lift and 255/65/17's on those JK wheels you mentioned. With that size I had zero rubbing issues and quite possibly could have got away with a 265/65/17.

2002 WJ Limited, V8, Quadradrive, 245/65/17 Hankook ATM's
    2005 WK Limited, Hemi, all the other bells and whistles

"It's amazing what you can accomplish when you don't care who gets the credit." Harry S. Truman

Registered

Cisco.....that's exactly the look I want. Very nice.