Thread: LED Back Up Lights

Default LED Back Up Lights

Hi,
    On my previous Jeep, 2000 TJ, I mounted a set of 55w fog lights on the rear bumper and wired them with the back up lights for lots of extra light. I now have a Patriot and would like to add some backup lights to that too. Problem is the back bumper really doesn't have a good place to mount regular fog lights. Started looking at flush mount back up lights, and flush mount LED backup lights. They look nice and would fit into the bumper but...

My question: Will a set of LED flush mount backup lights be as bright as a set of conventional 55w fog lights?

Thanks,
    Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DougR
    Previously Owned:
    2000 TJ Sport - 4.0/5sp - 33x12.5 BFG Mud
    1985 CJ7 Renegade - 258/3sp - 31x10.5 BFG AT

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Dougget View Post
    Hi,
    On my previous Jeep, 2000 TJ, I mounted a set of 55w fog lights on the rear bumper and wired them with the back up lights for lots of extra light. I now have a Patriot and would like to add some backup lights to that too. Problem is the back bumper really doesn't have a good place to mount regular fog lights. Started looking at flush mount back up lights, and flush mount LED backup lights. They look nice and would fit into the bumper but...

My question: Will a set of LED flush mount backup lights be as bright as a set of conventional 55w fog lights?

Thanks,
    Doug
    I've put flush-mounts on industrial equipment, so I've got some small experience with them.

From what I've noticed, even though the ratings put on LEDs are usually "equivalent output" ratings (a "55W LED" means that it's got an equivalent light output to a 55W bulb,) those comparisons are pretty accurate with a quality lamp.

My advice? Go ahead - but stick to a good brand. Brands that come to mind?
    - Federal Signal
    - Grote
    - Truck-Lite
    - Whelen.

Don't bother with the Chinese knock-offs - you're better off spending a bit of money and doing it right the first time.

Reports from the field I've accumulated indicate that "white" LEDs aren't very good at punching through smoke, fog, mist, or dust (yet - givvum time...) which is why I've converted my SureFire 6P to LED, but left my G2 as xenon (I converted the G2 because I use it when working, and the polymer body is easier on my teeth than the aluminum 6P.)

I'll probably put some LEDs on my rig as part of its refit, but I won't convert them all. I'll keep the critical lamps as incandescents/halogen until they get better - although I have considered checking yellow/amber LEDs for fog penetration.

Why do I put "white" LEDs in quote marks? Because there is no such animal. An LED is a monochromatic coherent emitter - it can only emit a single wavelength of light. White light is made up of all visible wavelengths.

A "white" LED works in a manner similar to a fluorescent lamp - the emitter chip is actually an ultraviolet emitter, and the capsule is lined with phosphours that are stimulated by the UV to emit a white light - so it's a two-step process. This is why the "white" LED light has a bluish cast - just like the earlier fluorescent lamps.

LED emitters have a number of advantages, but one should not forget that they have some slight drawbacks as well (a white LED makes a great utility lamp, but I'd be more inclined to use red or amber/yellow for foul weather marker lamps.)
    Kelley's Works in Progress - www.kelleyswip.com