Thread: gas guage broken

Default gas guage broken

Ok I have a 99 Jeep cherokee and my gas gauge doesnt work at all. It is below e all the time and the dummy light doesnt work at all. All the wires are connected like they should be and there is power to the guages and the fuel tank. What could be the problem as to why this is happening?

Probably a faulty fuel gauge sending unit. It's a common problem and mine's been like that for years. Unfortunately you can't buy a new sending unit by itself 'cause it's intergrated with the fuel pump so you'd have to buy the complete kit, which costs mucho dinero.

1992 XJ 4.6L "Poor Man's" Stroker
    202rwhp @ 4700rpm (248bhp)
    258rwtq @ 3400rpm (311lbft)
    1/4 mile: 14.63 @ 94.4, 3450lb curb
    AX15, NP231, D30/D35
    Jeep Performance, Jeep Tech, Junker to Stroker

Sending unit gets my vote.

I have to replace the fuel pump anyway so I will just do the whole unit. I have found one on RockAuto.com For way way less than autozone or oreilys. So ill prob go with that. but incase that doesnt work. what would you suggest from there

Default Broken gas guage

I have a broken gas gauge. I replaced the pump filter sending unit... the entire unit was replaced. I put it all together and started the jeep and the gauge read completely full. I knew it wasn't right cause of the amount of fuel in the tank when I dropped it. Well as I drove I got 1/2 mile away and it went back to reading past E. I don't know what to do now. Please someone help me out here. I don't know how much longer I can take going off mileage!

Quote Originally Posted by 99jeepchero View Post
    I don't know how much longer I can take going off mileage!
    I've been doing it for more than 6 years 'cause my gauge has been stuck on E. You just get used to it.
    Sounds like your gauge is working OK. If you didn't top up the tank after you replaced the fuel pump/sending unit assembly, the tank won't have much fuel in it and the gauge reading could be correct.

1992 XJ 4.6L "Poor Man's" Stroker
    202rwhp @ 4700rpm (248bhp)
    258rwtq @ 3400rpm (311lbft)
    1/4 mile: 14.63 @ 94.4, 3450lb curb
    AX15, NP231, D30/D35
    Jeep Performance, Jeep Tech, Junker to Stroker

it had probably 1/2 a tank left when it was replaced. So there was enough to have a reading in the tank. This is why im baffeled on what is wrong now.

Ok I'm 90% sure I have found the problem! I replaced the pump unit and it went completely full then back to completely empty. I removed the cluster and one the back of the cluster on the plug reciever closest to the driver door very top pin also closest to the driver door is burnt. So looks like I will not be fixing this problem due to the cluster costing $650!!!! Unless anyone has any idea how I could go around that option?

Have you tried the For Sale forum up top? Lots of guys part out XJ's here so you can likely find an instrument cluster for a lotttttt less than that.

There is also www.car-part.com Nationwide search engine for junkyards.
    "...the advice given above is somewhat arrogant and in some cases wrong..." . (I'm not an expert... I just play one on the internet.)

Another Freakin' Jeep Cherokee Website. _____________ Sure you're smart... but do you have what it takes to make "The List"?

1990 XJ