Thread: Thoughts on these headlights?

Registered

Default Thoughts on these headlights?

I've been a little out of the loop on whats out there as far as ZJ headlight upgrades go for a while. I've been rocking the black 3 piece lenses with an upgraded harness and 9007 conversion for a while. I just finally burned out one of my bulbs so it got me looking for replacements.

Now the 9007 conversion and the upgraded harness were a nice upgrade but I've still never totally been satisfied with my light output. Partially I know it has to do with the way the reflector is placed on my lights (its only on the sides and not on the tops and bottom), but Its just also the nature of the beast on ZJ's. I know the ECE lights with the H4 bulbs are the grand daddy of upgrades but I'm not sure I want to shell out that kind of dough just for the headlights, plus spending another small fortune on quality H4 bulbs like IPF fat boys or something.

Seems like before the WJ guys got all the love with viable headlight housing upgrades until I saw these today: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-1998-GR...-/290699806910

Now first of all let me state I've always thought the WJ projectors were lame looking and these are no exception. I wish companies didn't feel the need to rice out everything to help sell them to fools who just want a "stylish" upgrade. But....their function might help me get over the goofy looks.

First I like the fact thats its one piece. Seems nice and convienient. Second its got a projector. Not sure if its really worth it for putting HID's in (although some vendors sell them along with an HID kit) but its nice to know I could at least possibly run some HIDs without an expensive retrofit and without blinding oncomming traffic. But the absolute biggest selling point for me is, 2 light sources, and 2 bulbs! That means no more junk 9004's and no more less junky 9007's! No more burning out the low beam and having to replace the whole bulb.

These things use H1 and H3 bulbs. Thats awesome! These bulbs can put out more lumens than even 9007's, are usually cheaper to buy, and have TONS more options. I can run an all season low beam and some big daddy high beams! YES! just what I have always wished for! The only downfall is the plastic housing could melt if you went really extreme with the bulbs. 100 watt high beams might be pushing it but I might try to get away with that if I ran these.

So I don't know, what do you guys think of these? I'm seriously considering giving them a shot, and if anybody gives me flack about my jeep lookin ricey I'll just blind em a lil bit! I would just love to not have to compromise on my lights anymore. With these it seems I could have everything I need. Hid's or more likely a nice all season low beam, and some big pappa high beams! A more proper reflector, and seperate high and low beams. Hell, I could wire them so that on high beam the highs and lows both stay on! How sweet would that be? I already have it so that with my switch activated my 4 roof lights come on with the brights, I would love to have both highs and lows on on top of that! Ah I am just dreaming of turning night into day. Your guys thoughts?

PS- Does that BHR guy still post here?
    1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee- locked built 8.8, 33's, and more

1997 Grand Cherokee: 5.9 swap, lifted

Gone but not forgotten:
    1991 Cherokee Briarwood

1999 Mustang GT

I like that the running and turn lights are clear. If you replace the amber bulbs with clear and replace the 194/168s with 3rd brake lite bulbs you will get a great increase in front corner lighting.

I'm not so sure that I like the 'halo' around the Lo/Hi beams but I guess you just have to bet used to something different.

I especially like that you can use halogen bulbs with superior light output.

<snip>
    I would just love to not have to compromise on my lights anymore. With these it seems I could have everything I need. Hid's or more likely a nice all season low beam, and some big pappa high beams! A more proper reflector, and seperate high and low beams. Hell, I could wire them so that on high beam the highs and lows both stay on! How sweet would that be? I already have it so that with my switch activated my 4 roof lights come on with the brights, I would love to have both highs and lows on on top of that! Ah I am just dreaming of turning night into day.
    Some states have limits on the number of lamps that can be illuminated at one time, it would be best to check with the DMV or local Popo...
    -br

Helping one another is why we are all here on Jeeps-Unlimited, or should be.
    http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n171/Billy_Ray_2006/

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ray View Post
    I like that the running and turn lights are clear. If you replace the amber bulbs with clear and replace the 194/168s with 3rd brake lite bulbs you will get a great increase in front corner lighting.

I'm not so sure that I like the 'halo' around the Lo/Hi beams but I guess you just have to bet used to something different.

I especially like that you can use halogen bulbs with superior light output.

Some states have limits on the number of lamps that can be illuminated at one time, it would be best to check with the DMV or local Popo...
    Thanks for the input Billy Ray, on my setup now the running and turn signals are clear but I never thought about switching to 3rd brake light bulbs. I actually have some spare 3rd light bulbs I might just have to pop them in there!

I also totally agree about the stupid halo rings. I wish they didn't put those in there.

As for my local laws I'm not really worried about it. I pretty much only use the high beams when cruising back roads (which I do A LOT) and its already technically illegal to be running my roof lights. I'll take the warning or ticket on the off chance theres a cop with a hair up his ass on one of these country roads. I'm more concerned about not hitting the ******* deer that run across the road all the time. From the distance I would turn my brights off for oncoming traffic it would be hard to tell if I had 2 or 4 lights going at the same time. Still good information to know!

Gone but not forgotten:
    1991 Cherokee Briarwood

1999 Mustang GT

It's just my opinion, but the black looks really bad on the ZJ in the ad. A chrome light would look much more natural, not like aftermarket bling. Of course, if your ZJ is already black it's a different story.
    2001 WJ Limited, 4.7L, Quadra-Drive -- Kenne Bell Supercharger, Stillen Rotors with MM pads (F/R), Addcos (F/R), Kolak 3 inch exhaust with large case MagnaFlow, Rogue Chrome wheels, DRL activated, and Blaupunkt 3.5" dash speakers.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    It's just my opinion, but the black looks really bad on the ZJ in the ad. A chrome light would look much more natural, not like aftermarket bling. Of course, if your ZJ is already black it's a different story.
    I hate chrome, I try to keep as much of it off my jeep as possible! I've already got black headlights and markers. Goes good with the other black accents on the jeep I think

If I go back to work soon I think I'll give these housings a try.

edit- this pic is somewhat old now, my sloppy fender cuts have been cleaned up and rear fenders cut out nicely since this was taken for any wannabe ball busters out there lol

Gone but not forgotten:
    1991 Cherokee Briarwood

1999 Mustang GT