Thread: CJ7 Front Hub Assembly Swap

Registered

Default CJ7 Front Hub Assembly Swap

While in Moab this last week, I decided to take a look at the bolts holding my Superwinch (junk) hubs to the hub/rotor assembly flange as I'd been having trouble keeping them snug. Wouldn't you know, two of them where sheared off leaving the stud in the hub flange. I now only have two bolts (one was sheared off when purchased from PO) holding the hub to the mounting flange. I'd like to replace the '82 five bolt hub/rotor assembly with the 76-81 6 bolt and add Warn Premium hubs. Are bearings, wheel washers etc. cross compatible? What about the spindles? Thanks in advance!

I just did this on my 1986 axles... I picked up a set of Narrow Track Axles from a 1979.

I swapped over from the knuckles outward just to be safe (and to also get thicker and beefier rotors/brake setups)

http://www.certifiablejeep.com/TJScr...scrambler5.php

Craig

CertifiableJeep website
    '76 ORANGE CJ-5
    '76 MAROON CJ-5
    '78 SILVER CJ-7
    '82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
    ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
    SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
    SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62

NEWJO Member

I did the same thing when I swapped '83 WideTracs into my '81 CJ-5, used the original bearing hubs.

I also used studs instead of bolts, they tend to keep tight better. I got stud kits here, but I'm pretty sure they are a standard part: http://www.the-jeep-guy.com/axle_&_differential.htm

Time owned by new house

Registered

Icon91

Get american made studs like shown above and ny-lock type nuts
    Been using this setup for many years with a locker in the front.
    Cheers,
    LG

Ditto on the studs I used Chevrolet exhaust manilla studs and either stover nuts or nylok, Super Winch hubs not a real big fan, but when i did break one they sent me a whole new pair said they were guaranteed for life at that time, still in the box in my garage. I replaced them with Mile Marker over 10 years ago