Thread: Groove in axle

Default Groove in axle

Is there any way,beside buying a new axle,to fix the seal groove on a front Dana 30?

Registered

Are you talking about the raised seal surface where the seal rides at? If so and its leaking past it due to damage no. If you are running stock shafts the local PAP here sales them for $13.
    00' TJ, 60 rear, 44 front, AW-4, Stak D300 with 4.1, Krawlers, Allieds, locked, caged, dented and cut sheetmetal.....and now NOT driven daily.

Quote Originally Posted by LouFab View Post
    Is there any way,beside buying a new axle,to fix the seal groove on a front Dana 30?
    Got a photo?
    Stu's '98TJ Sahara
    ARB Locked & Loaded
    www.stu-offroad.com

I can't get a photo because I'll have to take my axle apart again to get one.The end of the axle is getting damp again so I know I will have to do this repair for the third time on my 2 Jeeps.My XJ has over 380,000km on her and I've put two sets of seals on the front axle so far.The stock seal made a groove and the SKF seal that replaced the OEM seal has made a new groove.Lotsa miles on both jeeps.My TJ has about 280,000km on her(did this one once allready ) . I am going to go with the SKF seals from NAPA due to the fact they are off-set from OEM and ride on a new part of the axle where it will start fresh.I was just wondering if a speedy sleeve or the like was available?I have read about using JB weld in the groove and emery cloth the fix and also double seal the center section if there is room.Where would be the least expensive route to get axles if I have to?Thanx!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dodgen View Post
    Are you talking about the raised seal surface where the seal rides at? If so and its leaking past it due to damage no. If you are running stock shafts the local PAP here sales them for $13.
    There is a groove from the seal riding on the axle and a new seal is moot due to the groove.What is a "PAP" store and $13 for an axle is a mis-quote,did you mean the seal is $13? ?Yes I have stock shafts.

Registered

Pull-A-Part.

And no misquote as I have bought many sets. Each side COMPLETE axle shaft is $13.
    00' TJ, 60 rear, 44 front, AW-4, Stak D300 with 4.1, Krawlers, Allieds, locked, caged, dented and cut sheetmetal.....and now NOT driven daily.

Quote Originally Posted by LouFab View Post
    I assume you mean shaft? What one is damaged?
    1990 YJ Stroked and Bored. 3.5"BDS rear, SOA front w/ waggy springs, 2" Bl, 1"MM, DozerDanRockRails, DD gas tank skid, Custom D60 front, Yota Rear, 4.56's, locked F/R, TJ flares, 35" MTR's

1992 XJ 2 door $46 in scrap
    2007 AWMS Chassis- Under way. 60/14b 37's twin turbo'd 302, t5, d300 Go faassssst.

Spotter Team 818, AdventureWorks Motorsports
    WE Rock, RC Rocks, XRRA, ORCA

Team 818a KOH quailifier
    Thanks to NJXOR, EMS Offroad, Jeff's Auto body and Recycling

www.awmotorsports.com

Icon911

J B weld and chrocus cloth ain't gonna make it .. the seal needs a truly smooth and concentric surface to ride on. J B Weld would be the same as it riding on sandpaper .. JMHO..
    1971 CJ5 V6 Dauntless. 33in tires on 15 inch rims, soft top, butt bone stock otherwise