Thread: Fuel Injector Leak

Icon928 Fuel Injector Leak

Went for a drive yesterday for about 30 minutes, then parked for 5-6 hours. When I started and idled for a minute, something smelled like gas. Popped the hood and the #1 (front) injector was gushing gasoline. It appeared to be leaking from the upper rail end, but gas was going everywhere, so hard to really tell. Everything there is original and hasn't been touched since I bought it new in 2/1994.

Rotated the injector hoping the seal would reseat (if that was the problem), but nothing changed. Shut the engine off and looked closer, nothing obvious. Rotated the #1 injector again, it rotates very easily. I tried a couple of others which did not move with minimal force. Didn't force them as I didn't want more leaks.

Gave it enough time for the gas to evaporate, then started it up again. No leak. Let it idle for several minutes, increased RPMs a few times, still no leak. The leak just stopped. I took a chance and drove home stopping frequently to check. Also kept the vents open so the gas smell would be obvious if it started again. Arrived home and parked it. Not wanting a fire, I hesitate to keep driving it without at least replacing all the injector seals.

Does this sound like a seal going bad or something else? Would it seal properly again just by rotating the injector a few times?

Are the upper and lower seals the same size?
    ~David~
    1994 ZJ 4.0L I6•Flame Red Laredo•Quadra-Trac•Stock Loaded•Eurolamps•Kolak harness•PIAA Super White PlatinumPoweraid TBSEdelbrock IAS Shocks•Full Skids•4 Tow Hooks•Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmorV1Garmin 60CSx GPS

It could hold but I would definitely change all the O rings on all the injectors just to play it safe. Coat them with a little oil before reinstalling. You are risking a major fire.

Icon928

Yeah, after seeing how much gas was gushing out, it's parked for now.

Been running good, so I hate to just shotgun all the injectors. Seals first. I ordered a full set of seals for all injectors and pressure regulator. Should be here in a few days.

There are two seals for each injector in the OEM replacement kit. Is it obvious which is upper and lower? Different size? Different color?
    ~David~
    1994 ZJ 4.0L I6•Flame Red Laredo•Quadra-Trac•Stock Loaded•Eurolamps•Kolak harness•PIAA Super White PlatinumPoweraid TBSEdelbrock IAS Shocks•Full Skids•4 Tow Hooks•Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmorV1Garmin 60CSx GPS

I did the o rings on an 88 cherokee with the 4.0 in it years ago and the upper and lower o rings were the same size. Like said make sure you coat them with some oil before installing them, it'll make the install easier and lessen the risk of tearing them.
    98 Platinum 5.9 Limited, Flowmaster, clear corners, 35% front tint, 5% sunroof tint, reloc IAT sensor, Accel coil, Summit Racing 8mm wires, Mopar front tow hooks, Mopar Performance PCM, K&N FIPK

90 Mustang LX notch back:cobra intake,70mm TB and spacer,fender mounted CAI, 1 3/4 long tube headers, 2 1/2 off road h-pipe, flowmasters, 3.73s, subframe connecters, e-fan,underdrive pullys, Steeda short through shifter

thespeedfreaks.net

Registered

I would suggest using some dielectric grease or K-Y as they are water based lubes. You only need the lube for assembly, not a permanent use. I am not sure if the o-rings you ordered are compatible with grease or oil- just a thought.
    98' ZJ Laredo SE, 4.0, 242, 265/75/R15 Dueler A/T Revos, 180k (had it since 112k), Bilstein shocks. Still need rock rails.

Stock Is NOT An Option mdoffroad's Avatar

I used vaseline,worked GREAT
    MÄττ
    Hangin' on JU for more than 13 years now!!

04 WJ Onyx Pearl - sporting bent tow hooks from a crook named FishPOET

http://mdpreparedness.com/forum/index.php
    http://www.mdshooters.com/

Thanks for the suggestions. Ordered OEM seals, not sure if they are good with petroleum grease/oils. I have a tube of high temperature silicone vacuum grease, should work.
    ~David~

I JUST did this on the '98 ltd 4.0 this aftn, all 12 o rings. After re assembly, i had a #1 seal leak too so i crimped the rail around it tighter with a plier. I had to replace #1 injector & #1 injector harness. Both were bad.
    slate 5.9 Limited, 6" lift, IRO/JKS/OME/Bilstein, 285's, Ford 8.8 w/Artec truss, '95 ZJ NP231 w/Novak shift cable & full SYE, straight piped, 6 pass trans cooler, police pkg alt, Optima Red, ZG front markers, front park light & turn mod, quad tails, Boston Acoustic/JL's, in dash flip up DVD, black windows, U jointed shafts all around, tow pkg & U.C.

Stone white 5.9 on 30's, glass ECE's w/custom harness, u jointed front driveshaft, clear corners. Pretty much bone stock, and will stay that way

Icon928

Geesh... I'm hoping to get away with just new seals. Parts are SUPER $$$ here in Korea and it takes time to get them shipped here from the states.

I ordered OEM injector seals from the states for $4.43/injector. Here in Korea the same (identical part number) 2-seal OEM kit is $25/injector.

Were the upper and lower injector seals the same size? Interchangeable?
    ~David~

Stock Is NOT An Option mdoffroad's Avatar

umm why wouldnt the seal be petroleum compatible, its stopping GASOLINE from leaking lol....
    MÄττ
    Hangin' on JU for more than 13 years now!!

04 WJ Onyx Pearl - sporting bent tow hooks from a crook named FishPOET

http://mdpreparedness.com/forum/index.php
    http://www.mdshooters.com/

They interchange Dave, same size upper & lower. Think i paid $3 for a pack of 4 felpro o rings.
    slate 5.9 Limited, 6" lift, IRO/JKS/OME/Bilstein, 285's, Ford 8.8 w/Artec truss, '95 ZJ NP231 w/Novak shift cable & full SYE, straight piped, 6 pass trans cooler, police pkg alt, Optima Red, ZG front markers, front park light & turn mod, quad tails, Boston Acoustic/JL's, in dash flip up DVD, black windows, U jointed shafts all around, tow pkg & U.C.

Stone white 5.9 on 30's, glass ECE's w/custom harness, u jointed front driveshaft, clear corners. Pretty much bone stock, and will stay that way

Icon928

Great!
    Taz!
    ~David~

Icon928

Parts finally arrived, replaced all my original stock injector seals tonight. First it was quite the tug-o-war getting the injectors out of the intake, then another battle getting the injectors out of the fuel rail. Two seals stay in the intake, four stayed in the fuel rail. Cleaned everything up, lubed the new seals with hi-temp silicone vacuum grease, went back together with almost no effort. Also, replaced the pressure regulator seals. So far, no leaks
    ~David~