Thread: steering problem

Registered

Default steering problem

I have upgraded all of the steering, Rusty's Jeep XJ-TJ-YJ Tie Rod Conversion. I have put new steering pump and steering gear box on the XJ. The front end is aligned and, the tires are balanced. I have put a Rusty's XJ Cherokee Long Arm Upgrade on the Jeep. Drag link is where it is supposed to be. I have replaced all bushing on the Jeep with Daystars super kit bushing. When I go down the road all it wants to do is wander back and forth. If, from a stop, I step on the gas the jeep wants to go to the left and, if I hit the brakes hard it wants to go to the right or left. What is making it do this? It is getting hard to keep it right now. HELP!!
    2001 Cherokee, RE 6030 4.5 SF, Grabber AT'2 265/70/16's, custom built front bumper, 4.10's, cobra CB, HD SYE conversion, Tom Wood's driveshaft, Hella 500's, custom 4x4 CB ant.mount, K&N air intake

I think you should check the front wheel bearing slop, then the ball joints.

Also, make sure the power steering pump is bled.

I must have cycled mine 5 or 6 times and I still had bubbles. For me, a cycle was:
    a) jack up the front end
    b) with the engine OFF, turn the wheel ten times from stop to stop and wait ten minutes (or however long it takes to have a refreshment)

The only problem with this method is that after 6 cycles, a road test is not a good idea (depending on the refreshment).

Good luck

Dave
    2000 Cherokee Sport - The Rigid bumpers are moving to a new home.
    1985 Cherokee Pioneer (1989 Electrical)
    4.0L (Yes in a 1985), AW4, NP231 JB SYE, RIGID FbK Front Bumper and BG04 Brush Guard, RIGID RbM Rear Bumper, Bushwacker Flares, 31" Tires

I agree with the guys, ball joints, wheel bearings, pump or steering gear. How much free play is in the steering wheel? This is a strech, but how about motor or trans mounts?
    08 Ford F150 Crew, 5.4, 4.10 and 33's.
    00 XJ limited. 4.5 rusty's All spring, 33" BFG KM2's.
    01 xj sport, rusty's 4.5, 32x1150 Handkook MT's, Aussie locker in d30, 8.25 with trac lock, rear ZJ discs.

Registered

well there is a brand new engine in the jeep now, just put it in about 4 months ago, so all the mounts are good and new. I will check the wheel bearings and ball joints but I think they are new also. I will also re-bleed the steering pump and see what happens.
    2001 Cherokee, RE 6030 4.5 SF, Grabber AT'2 265/70/16's, custom built front bumper, 4.10's, cobra CB, HD SYE conversion, Tom Wood's driveshaft, Hella 500's, custom 4x4 CB ant.mount, K&N air intake

Sounds like a bad track bar to me. Was it replaced with the Rusty's kit?

How about the track bar mount bolts & mounting area? The track bar bolts take a ton of torque to lock it down.

Check for frame cracking around your steering box & track bar mount. Used to see frames cracking around the steering box. (C-Rok makes a great brace for that, btw.) Loose / broken bolts same place.

Don't mess with the steering box adjustment bolt until, and unless, all other causes have been locked away... reason being is it's easy to foul up the adjustment and introduce more misbehavior that will need to be fixed. Grab a factory service manual to do this if it gets to that point. (I'd almost just swap in a Dakota steering box & skip it if someone has fooled with this.)
    "...the advice given above is somewhat arrogant and in some cases wrong..." . (I'm not an expert... I just play one on the internet.)

Another Freakin' Jeep Cherokee Website. _____________ Sure you're smart... but do you have what it takes to make "The List"?

1990 XJ

Registered

the trac bar is brand new. The area around my steering box is good and we have put the brace in for that also. Here are some pics maybe this will help.

Hi again,

As lunghd mentioned, check the trac bar mount to the frame. I had a clunk that was driving me nuts until I got underneath and had the wife turn the wheel from side to side. I put my hands on the mount where it meets the frame. I could feel it move and when I looked closely, I could see it too.

I torqued all the bracket bolts (62 ft/lbs for an '89) and the movement and clunk disappeared.

By the way, have you checked the ball joints? I thought mine were ok (ignorance is not always bliss) until I jacked up one of the wheels and saw a nice fresh "crack" in the grease at the bottom of the joint. Once the wheel was in the air, there was noticible movement when I grabbed it by the top and bottom and gave it a wiggle.

Good luck with your problem and I hope you find the answer sooner rather than later.

Dave
    2000 Cherokee Sport - The Rigid bumpers are moving to a new home.
    1985 Cherokee Pioneer (1989 Electrical)
    4.0L (Yes in a 1985), AW4, NP231 JB SYE, RIGID FbK Front Bumper and BG04 Brush Guard, RIGID RbM Rear Bumper, Bushwacker Flares, 31" Tires

The problem is in the steering design, its a well known issue with "inverted T" style steering, a freind has the same design and this is what happens with a few miles on it, its called tie-rod roll, and what happens is there becomes a lot of slop in your steering, not at the steering neutral setting, like going straight, but just after you begin a curve or turn or a manuever you find your Jeep wandering all over the place, this also can create the torque steer your having, accel & braking causing the Jeep to turn. - -

http://youtu.be/5X6N4ePOWXk
    Last edited by O_M_Jeep; 04-14-2012 at 06:52 AM.

Registered

going to get it aligned on the 30th. I hope this fixes the problems. I have looked at and checked everything you guys said could be wrong, I hope this is it!

Registered

Jeep is back to good! I have had it aligned and found out what was wrong.1. The toe on the front wheels was way off, 2. The pitman arm, which was new and just put on by a shop, was not on right and was in position to wear all of the spindles off of the pitarm and the steering pump, 3. the end of the drag link needed to be replaced, 4. one end of the trac bar needed to be replaced, and 5. the steering pump needed to be tuned a little. Now it goes down the road straight and true!!