Thread: How do I know if I have the "Tow Package"?

Icon922 How do I know if I have the "Tow Package"?

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 2WD

So I performed a search on this, and couldn't find what I was looking for. How do I know if I have a "Tow Package" on my Jeep? And also, what does the tow package consist of? I've heard that there is an additional tranny cooler, but is there anything else?

My Jeep has the large factory 2" receiver hitch, along with the 7 pin plug. Came with a Chrylser adapter and wiring for trailer brakes. Receiver states that my Jeep is rated for 6500lbs with the V8.

I plan on using the Jeep as a part time tow vehicle for my boat, which weighs around 3000lbs including the trailer and gear. I bought the Jeep used with 55k miles, and I am planning on changing the tranny and rear end fluid just to be on the safe side, though I haven't had any telltale problems in these areas. Anyone recommend a different fluid to use?

Thanks guys
    2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited-2WD-V8

So far So good

Get your build sheet from Chrysler, it's free!

Thank you.

How do I go about doing that?
    2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited-2WD-V8

So far So good

Registered

Odd are you have it. You would likely have a transmission cooler. They are not standard on non tow packages.
    Call Chrysler customer service and have your VIN # on hand. They should be able to process the request.

2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo WJ 4x4 283,000km Jan. 2014
    I6 4.0, Transmission Cooler
    Class III In-Bumper hitch
    Westin Safari Light Bar w/big amber driving lights
    Nokian WR SUV All Weather Plus 245P70R/16 - retired due to wear
    Yokohama Geolandar I/T 245P75R/16 on it now. Winter 2014

2009 Jeep Compass 4x4 North Edition, 2.4L, CVT
    101,000km
    Many problems with the Compass - DON'T BUY CHRYSLER JUNK

Nokian WRG2 tires (poor wear, cup easy and real noisy now)
    Markham, ON
    Canada

Fill out this form and you will receive an email with your build sheet! http://www.jeep.com/wccsapp/universa...ull&category=U
    Anthony Lovato
    aka: nmfourwheeler

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo WJ
    Skyjacker 2" lift w/nitro shocks
    Upcountry Suspension Package
    Stock Dana 30/44A (locked), Quadra-Trac II
    4.7 V8, 4-Speed Automatic

Email Me Here.

I will assume that you DO NOT have a factory hitch...

Open up the side panel where the wiring is located (driver side rear) and behind the sound padding you will find a SINGLE GREEN PLUG if you do NOT have the tow package.

I believe they dropped the extra external tranny and PS coolers in '02 (but I could certainly be wrong) because they enlarged the standard coolers.

That being said it certainly would be a good idea to go to the junkyard and get the factory coolers from a V8 model (with hydraulic fan) and mount that in front of your radiator (exactly like the vehicle you took it out of)

Be sure that you plumb it correctly (before the stock units) and you purchase the SPECIAL HIGH TEMPERATURE, OIL RESISTANT transmission rubber hose, buy/borrow the proper tube swaging tool, and double stainless steel screw clamp the connections if you plan to be towing a 5000 pound trailer through the mountains for hundreds or thousands of miles at 75-90 mph.
    -br

Helping one another is why we are all here on Jeeps-Unlimited, or should be.
    http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n171/Billy_Ray_2006/

Reese sells a hitch (available from Manny, Moe, and Jack) that was on sale all last summer for $139 that looks almost exactly like the factory (through the bumper) hitch. The wiring is available off Amazon for $30.

If a one eyed, one armed, white haired, half deaf, lonely, penniless, crippled, white boy with PTSD can install it with common hand tools so can you. The hardest part is cutting through the bumper, be sure that your knife is razor sharp. I didn't think Reese supplied sufficient double stick 3M foam take so I applied extra but perhaps that is just me...

If requested I will send a pix of the install...

(Don't try to 'save time' by assembling it ahead of time, follow the directions and you'll be much happier)
    Last edited by Billy Ray; 04-03-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    -br

Helping one another is why we are all here on Jeeps-Unlimited, or should be.
    http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n171/Billy_Ray_2006/

Wife and I both have 2000's, V-8's with tow packages, both build sheets list the tow packages. Neither has and aux. trans cooler but both have aux PS coolers (shape of a horseshoe in front of the radiator on the drivers side) and both mech and elec fans.
    2000 Laredo V8 4X4 Blue (Mine)
    2000 Limited V8 4X4 Silver (Wifes)
    1999 Limited V8 4X4 Gold (Sold)
    1995 Limited V8 4X4 Silver (Sold)