Thread: Fuel injectors on my '95 2.5 click after shutdown

Default Fuel injectors on my '95 2.5 click after shutdown

Hi everyone!
    My membership was just OK'd this morning, and right out of the gate, I have a question.
    We have three Jeeps, a '90 YJ with a 2.5 that I ripped the engine management system off of, a 1987 XJ with a 4.0 that I am putting a 4.2 crank into, and our newest "little bundle of joy" a '95 YJ with a 2.5 engine.
    My question concerns the '95 YJ. I am an "old School mechanic" who can listen to an engine run, and tell you if the carb is set up properly, but I don't know a THING about transistors, or the EFI's that they control.
    We bought the '95 YJ with a 2.5 MPI on the first of the month from a buy here pay here lot, and once we got it out here in the quiet of the far west Texas countryside, I noticed that when I shut the engine down, the fuel injectors click for about a minute or so. I took a hunk of heater hose to verify where the sound is coming from, and it is coming from the electronic solenoids at the rear, (or top) of the injectors.
    We live 90 miles away from the closest Jeep dealer in El Paso, and HWY 62-180 is a VERY lonely road, if the EFI quits half way there.
    Can someone please tell me what is causing the injectors to click after the engine is shutoff? Is there an auto shutdown relay in the system? Can running it this way break the main computer?
    Sabrina "Brie" Hill

Thats interesting since they are still clicking after shut off. Is there still electrical current going into the injectors? there shouldn't be. Also there is a specified amount of resistance that can be checked with an ohm meter at that location to determine how good the solenoids are BTW. I don't think that you would have a problem for a long drive, since you didn't mention that it was sending out a code for the computer.

Thanks for the quick response Don. There are no warning lights coming on, but seeing as we bought it at a "Buy here Pay here" lot I will go in a few minutes, ans check to see if they disabled the warning light on the dash.
    I saw the measurement of the resistance of the injectors in my Chilton's Manual, where it says that they are supposed to read between 3 and 6 ohms, if they are outside that range, the offending injector should be replaced.
    Later today, I will check all the resistances, and report back what they are.
    Brie

OK FOLKS, here's what I found:

1) The engine warning light comes on when I power up, but goesoff in the proper time

2) I turned on the ignition without firing up the engine, and then shut it off, so see it it was just an applied voltage thing, but they did NOT click at all. It only happens after it has been running, and I shut it off.

3) the battery in my digital VOM is dead, (no I didn't leave it on), so I can't check the resistance in the injectors, it runs fine though.

If your check engine goes on then off, there is still a code recorded.

What I meant when I said that the check engine light came on, is when I turn the the ignition on, just before I hit the starter to start the engine. As soon as I go to start, or if I wait more than about ten seconds, all the lights on the dash go out.
    Isn't the check engine light supposed to come on when you first go to start the engine to show that the bulb works?
    Also, if it stores codes, does that mean that I can use an OBD2 code reader
    on a Wrangler that was built in October of 1995?
    Brie

So you've verified that the check engine light (CEL) works, but that it's not coming on under operating conditions, which would be indicative of a code being thrown. And you're SURE it is in fact the injectors making this clicking noise? Never heard of this issue but that's not saying it can't happen.

Sometimes (and you probably knew this), a computer can set codes that won't trip the CEL. To check the codes without a reader, sit in the Jeep and turn the key *on then off then on then off then on* and the CEL will start to flash. If it flashes once then pauses and flashes 5 times that means 15. If it flashes 5 times then pauses and flashes 5 times that means 55, etc... Then you can look up your codes online without a reader.

Personally, I don't think your particular problem will have anything to do with the OBD-I system and it probably isn't throwing or storing any codes. Sounds more like a relay or computer problem to me. The PCM's (Powertrain Control Module or "computer") in Jeep vehicles can do wacky things when they go bad. If it's not a simple relay problem or a short, I'd blame the PCM. But I'm not a mechanic, just a guy who has owned many a Jeep vehicle.

Good luck and let us know if you ever find an answer to this.
    Last edited by Prospect62; 06-05-2013 at 03:28 PM.
    1996 ZJ Laredo 4.0L 42RE NV242