Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about Power Steering fluid

Registered

Default Question about Power Steering fluid

I had a bust line on my power steering system last week which caused me to lose some fluid. I got that fixed up, but my problem now was getting the correct fluid to top it up. I searched high and low locally for the correct MS-5931 fluid, and couldn't get it anywhere! I came across the NAPA 9800 PS Fluid. on the back label stated it could be used with Chrysler vehicles etc...but had no mention of MS-5931.

I ended up using it anyway with intentions of ordering the right stuff, then I decided to check it out on Napa's website

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...800_0006532578

Turns out on the website it says;
    Features and Benefits: Recommended For Most Domestic & Foreign Automobiles, Meets Performance Requirements For GM 9985010, Ford ESW-M2C128-C & Chrysler MS-5931 (Hydroboost Systems) & AMC 4124

So would it be safe to assume that this fluid will be OK to keep in the system?

PS. Thanks trail rated for the advice.
    2002 Laredo Sport | 4.0 | Selec Trac

Feeling lucky? Take me on... ---> http://mrh4ck.mybrute.com

Quote Originally Posted by H4cK View Post
    I had a bust line on my power steering system last week which caused me to lose some fluid. I got that fixed up, but my problem now was getting the correct fluid to top it up. I searched high and low locally for the correct MS-5931 fluid, and couldn't get it anywhere! I came across the NAPA 9800 PS Fluid. on the back label stated it could be used with Chrysler vehicles etc...but had no mention of MS-5931.

I ended up using it anyway with intentions of ordering the right stuff, then I decided to check it out on Napa's website

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...800_0006532578

Turns out on the website it says;
    Features and Benefits: Recommended For Most Domestic & Foreign Automobiles, Meets Performance Requirements For GM 9985010, Ford ESW-M2C128-C & Chrysler MS-5931 (Hydroboost Systems) & AMC 4124

So would it be safe to assume that this fluid will be OK to keep in the system?

PS. Thanks trail rated for the advice.
    Yes, it meets the appropriate DC specs...
    -br

Helping one another is why we are all here on Jeeps-Unlimited, or should be.
    http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n171/Billy_Ray_2006/

Registered

Thanks Billy Ray. It doesn't actually say it on the back of the bottle, just online, that's why I was a bit indecisive.
    2002 Laredo Sport | 4.0 | Selec Trac

Feeling lucky? Take me on... ---> http://mrh4ck.mybrute.com

Right Wing Extremist TrojanMan06's Avatar

Dextron 3 transmission fluid.
    93 ZJ 4.0 AW4 Reborn!!-
    310,894 miles-Replaced with 40k engine
    Rebuilt 249 TC-Soon to be 231hd
    4.5" IRO w/ 33x12.50R15 BFG KM2s
    IRO Front Long Arms, IRO Adjustable Rear Arms
    Straight Piped, Durango Steering Box

98 ZJ 4.0-FOR SALE
    210,*** miles-Replaced w/ 82k engine
    242 TC
    3.5" w/ 33x12.50R15s

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

"I dont like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled, or hanged." -Abraham Lincoln 1863

According to Napa, that fluid is manufactured by Coastal. Coastal sells two types of power steering fluid that meet MS 5931, so I suppose that fluid is safe to use.
    |2001 WJ|4,0L|42RE|NV 242|380000 km|ECE Compliant|
    Внедорожник для Экспедиций и Приключений

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanMan06 View Post
    Dextron 3 transmission fluid.
    Last time i bought PS fluid it was actually cheaper than ATF. ATF may work even though not spec, but if you're not saving any money why bother.

Registered

Valvoline synthetic also meets the spec. When Advance quit selling it I picked up 3 quarts for $1.99 a qt. Was like $7 originally. I dont dare use ATF, at least not in the WJ with the hydraulic fan...
    1996 ZJ Limited 5.2l, 31" Pirelli Scorpion AT, UC springs with Anthony's BB, Trac-lok, K&N FIPK, and heated seats that work now! (SOLD)

2002 WJ Limited 4.7l, tow package, moonroof, 06 Rubicon Rims, bone stock but 21mpg!

Maybe a stupid question but is there a way to tell the difference between ATF and the one we're supposed to use? I ask because the pump and fluid was changed by the dealer I bought the jeep from (Toyota) and all the other fluids have been wrong so far so I'm thinking this one probably is too.
    2002 BSM Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Quote Originally Posted by Cp3 View Post
    Maybe a stupid question but is there a way to tell the difference between ATF and the one we're supposed to use? I ask because the pump and fluid was changed by the dealer I bought the jeep from (Toyota) and all the other fluids have been wrong so far so I'm thinking this one probably is too.
    The correct fluid will look like engine oil while ATF will be red in colour.

Quote Originally Posted by twojeeps View Post
    Last time i bought PS fluid it was actually cheaper than ATF. ATF may work even though not spec, but if you're not saving any money why bother.
    I see a lot of vehicles where people have put ps fluid in instead of atf and because of the thickness of ps fluid develope minor problems. Mostly stiff steering and the whining noise you get when fluid gets low.

Only time we ever use anything other than atf is if we are working out some a couple decades or more old or if it calls for hydraulic fluid which some do.

Quote Originally Posted by H4cK View Post
    Thanks Billy Ray. It doesn't actually say it on the back of the bottle, just online, that's why I was a bit indecisive.
    I have found that NAPA is one of the best sources for knowledgeable advice and properly spec products because.... well... they are franchise businesses that primarily cater to the professional mechanic.

There is one thing to be aware of when they offer two different lines of essentially the same product.

While their parts are all good they do often carry two different qualities of parts. The cheaper line is usually the same or better quality as found at the 'chain' auto-parts stores such as Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, Advance, etc and the other is the top-of-the-line, first class, durable, big name brand product that you can install and forget.... they will rarely fail and if they do you don't have warranty problems.

Their prices are not too far out of line most of the time, and when on sale are often cheaper. You can buy their 'NAPA brand' products with confidence as they are made by industry leaders, quite often made by the same name brand company. For example many of their liquids are made for them by a local company...Valvoline. (at least in this area), Ashland (Valvoline) is headquartered in Covington, Kentucky just in the next state.
    -br

Here is the TSB regarding power steering fluid, my dealer put ATF in mine when they replaced the pump under warranty. I had to print this TSB and show it to them and made them flush out the ATF and replace the fluid.

When the pump failed again 20 or 30 thousand miles later, I made sure they put the correct fluid in it. Now I have put on another 125k or so on the third pump and no problems.

I do change out the P/S fluid every 50k miles when I replace the belt.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_1900503.pd

Edit: OK that link does not work, but you can look up TSB number 19-005-03
    2004 Overland Traded in at 218k miles on a new 2012 4Runner Trail Edition. 4-21-12

2000 Laredo 4.7 Q-Drive, was still running good when SOLD at 281,340 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanMan06 View Post
    I see a lot of vehicles where people have put ps fluid in instead of atf and because of the thickness of ps fluid develope minor problems. Mostly stiff steering and the whining noise you get when fluid gets low.

Only time we ever use anything other than atf is if we are working out some a couple decades or more old or if it calls for hydraulic fluid which some do.
    Some newer cars actually spec Dex 3 in the PS, my wife's subaru does, I wouldn't put PS fluid in that.

long and short of it is put in the proper fluid

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by trail rated View Post
    The actual DC P/S fluid from the dealer is clear.
    2004 WJ Charcoal Limited 4.7L H.O., QuadraDrive, Goodyear Wrangler w/Silent Armor Tires
    Raybestos Advanced technology rotors w/ ThermoQuiet pads
    v3 headlights w/HIDs

SUBJECT:
    Power Steering Fluid Usage

http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_1900503.pdf

Let's give this a try...
    -br

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ray View Post
    SUBJECT:
    Power Steering Fluid Usage

http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_1900503.pdf

Let's give this a try...
    That's the one I was trying to link. Not much else needs to be said on the subject.
    2004 Overland Traded in at 218k miles on a new 2012 4Runner Trail Edition. 4-21-12

2000 Laredo 4.7 Q-Drive, was still running good when SOLD at 281,340 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by trail rated View Post
    Great news, it's ATF in the ps pump. So now my question is should I stop driving it until I can flush n fill it with the correct fluid or will I be okay for a week or two?
    2002 BSM Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Quote Originally Posted by Cp3 View Post
    Great news, it's ATF in the ps pump. So now my question is should I stop driving it until I can flush n fill it with the correct fluid or will I be okay for a week or two?
    You shouldn't have any problems driving it for a few days but I would install the correct fluid as soon as possible.

You can change the fluid yourself by using a turkey baster. Suck all the fluid out of the reservoir, refill with the correct fluid, start the engine and turn steering wheel all the way left and right several times, shut off engine, and again suck out fluid from reservoir, refill with correct fluid, etc. Do this until you cycle two quarts of new fluid through the system.

I cant believe half the stuff I read on this site. The atf would be ok for the life of the jeep.

Registered

OK I read the PDF, my fluid appears low. Stone cold is below the cold mark and signs of weeping down the pipe from the crimped hose below the pump.

This is a 2002 WJ - MS5931 then?

It looks like they've gone to ATF+4 in 2004. My owners manual I read the other day says specifically not to use transmission fluid just Morpar power steering fluid (no number specified though, LOL)

Ok I went to an auto parts store "Parts Source" They had Prestone power steering fluid which read great but they say at the end of the blurp to check you owners manual. They don't give any compliance numbers. The Certiguard did specify MS5931 and two other number for other manufacturers. I've started to purge the old fluid by siphoning it out and topping it up with clean fluid. It will mix and I'll have enought to do it again. Hopefully it will make the pump happier.
    Last edited by tripplec; 03-26-2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph

2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo WJ 4x4 283,000km Jan. 2014
    I6 4.0, Transmission Cooler
    Class III In-Bumper hitch
    Westin Safari Light Bar w/big amber driving lights
    Nokian WR SUV All Weather Plus 245P70R/16 - retired due to wear
    Yokohama Geolandar I/T 245P75R/16 on it now. Winter 2014

2009 Jeep Compass 4x4 North Edition, 2.4L, CVT
    101,000km
    Many problems with the Compass - DON'T BUY CHRYSLER JUNK

Nokian WRG2 tires (poor wear, cup easy and real noisy now)
    Markham, ON
    Canada

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast