Thread: New Guys here

Default New Guys here

Hello all,

My son and I recently picked up a 1942 MB which is kind of rough shape and we are looking to modernize it a bit. The original engine has been replaced somewhere along the line, not sure exactly besides a 4 cyl currently resides in it, but otherwise appears to be all original. we would like to give it a slightly wider stance and add disc brakes to it , so what axles would you alll recommend to replace the originals? We are also looking to maybe add a small block Chevy for more power. All suggestions/opinions are welcome.
    Thanks for your input in advance!

Here is a pic...

looks like a good project. as for a engine, i have a 350 sbc in my 55 M38A1, its a tight fit but back when it was done thats what you used, sbc. the best swap would be a v6, small be great for upper rpm. as for axles, well im still running the stock axles front and back, with a power-loc in front and a lockright in back. i did break a rear axle and also broke a front, but that was me being stupid and after 20 + years of use, most of my four wheeling is rock crawling. the axle breaking was speed shifting, for the rear, and trying to do a cling and jerk to get a neighbor out of being stuck in the sand. but if you want to upgrade just measure and go to the junk yard. there is a disk brake conversion for the stock dana front axle, parts off this and parts off that. dont really remember but theres plenty of sites that list what you need.
    Attached Images Attached Images