Thread: Wheeling in Centralia - The "Real Silent Hill"

Oh she's a gold digger. PAFirefighter11's Avatar

Thumbs up Wheeling in Centralia - The "Real Silent Hill"

This is about my 15th or so trip to Centralia. As usual, for those who don't know, Centralia is located in east central Pennsylvania, not far from the former off-road park Paragon. There is a coal mine fire that has been burning under Centralia since the late 60's. The coal veins under Centralia and the neighboring towns are made up of Anthracite Coal. This type of coal is the cleanest & longest burning coal in the world. It has been estimated that the coal under Centralia can burn for another 250-500+ years, and possibly wipe neighboring towns off the map. The exact thing that has happened to Centralia.

This was more about wheeling & exploring the woods than Centralia itself. These are all shots with my cell phone. I'll upload some shots off my D2x (DSLR) later.

The group (My ZJ: No lift, 30" AT's, open front/rear; Buddies ZJ: AT's, 2" lift; Buddies MJ: 31" MT's, lift, LSD in rear Ford 8.8, 97-01 XJ front grill, bumper & fogs, etc.):

Trails:

Branch removal:

Poser flexing:

Very steep, slippery trail with some big rocks - does not look bad at all in these photos:
    -Rick R
    -Quadratec Customer Service/Tech Rep
    -The statements in this post may or may not reflect those of Quadratec, Inc.
    -98 ZJ Limited - 5.9L, MH1 Projector HID retrofit
    -98 Honda VFR800 Interceptor - 800cc V4, 2 bro's exhaust, Power Commander II, HID's, LED's, Corbin seat, etc.
    -98 & 01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Ams - 5.7L LS1, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster catback, some electronics 371hp/384 lb ft tq
    -Jeeptory: '90 YJ, '91 XJ, '91 YJ, '93 XJ, '97 TJ, '96 ZJ, '96 ZJ

Oh she's a gold digger. PAFirefighter11's Avatar

And back in Centralia:

All in all it was a great time. The MJ had a rear passenger side shock rip off the axle side. That was the only damage aside from the usual brush/tree memories, errr.. scratches.
    -Rick R
    -Quadratec Customer Service/Tech Rep
    -The statements in this post may or may not reflect those of Quadratec, Inc.
    -98 ZJ Limited - 5.9L, MH1 Projector HID retrofit
    -98 Honda VFR800 Interceptor - 800cc V4, 2 bro's exhaust, Power Commander II, HID's, LED's, Corbin seat, etc.
    -98 & 01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Ams - 5.7L LS1, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster catback, some electronics 371hp/384 lb ft tq
    -Jeeptory: '90 YJ, '91 XJ, '91 YJ, '93 XJ, '97 TJ, '96 ZJ, '96 ZJ

Registered

I've always been fascinated by the centralia story - looking forward to more pics!
    ZJ 5.9 #1 "Bertha": budget boost + upcountry springs, MTR's, AEM intake, Thorley headers, kolak exhaust with hooker aerochamber muffler. RLC Steel bumpers.

ZJ 5.9 #2 "Lady": OME HD lift, Duratracs, K&N intake, Leach headers, kolak exhaust

I've been to Centralia once before and am planing on going back this spring with some friends to look around and take some pictures. While there I would like to check out some of the trails. I wanted to know if you could give me some information about the trails and were in Centralia they are.

Thanks for sending those pics and info about that area, that is one heck of a powerline road.