Thread: For those of you wanting to add OEM fogs..

Icon922 For those of you wanting to add OEM fogs..

I came up with this idea.. Maybe its been done before. But Ive been wanting to add oem fog lights to my WJ for a while. A few local junkyards sell replacement aftermarket bumpers but even though they were new, they were never as dark as the cladding on my laredo so i wanted nothing to do with two toning my Jeep. So I got to thinking. A local yard had a bumper with fogs.. but it was cracked and faded. To say the least it was in terrible shape cosmetically. The brackets were all good though. I was able to talk them down from 120 to 30 which was nice too. So i took it home only to cut it up.. Then this is what I got. I just made the wiring harness with a relay as well.

It turned out much better than i thought. I used stainless steel bolts so they will never rust either. It may seem a bit redundant to buy a bumper with fog lights only to cut it up and add it to yours, but if youre like me and were unable to find a matching color, it works pretty well. Plus a local yard charged 300 for an oem bumper so even then assuming it was dark enough i still came out at a lower cost.

* btw sorry for the huge, yet crappy pics.
    Last edited by dlundblad; 12-17-2011 at 09:59 PM.
    David
    2003 Light Silver WJ Laredo 4.0
    2"BB with Monroe Reflex shocks on 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs
    OME SS
    IPF series 868 lights
    Custom dog hair seat cover for the rear with nose smear detailing

Plus a few other junkyard goodies...

Stock Is NOT An Option mdoffroad's Avatar

As an addition to that mod... instead of screwing, you could also always just use windsheild urethane or marine urethane adhesive instead, scuff both up, wipe it down with a prep agent, let dry, glue, tape in place and install lights the next day, no screws showing
    MÄττ
    Hangin' on JU for more than 13 years now!!

http://mdpreparedness.com/forum/index.php
    http://www.mdshooters.com/

what year is your wj just for giggles?

I thought about some sort of glue, but just in case i would ever need to remove/ replace them i thought bolts would be best. The top 2 arent visible unless youre crawling on the ground.. The other 2 you need to be looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekL View Post
    what year is your wj just for giggles?
    Last edited by dlundblad; 12-18-2011 at 08:45 AM.
    David
    OME SS
    IPF series 868 lights

Good work around. You could change the color of the screws with paint, of even chemical blueing, that way they are not quite as visible.
    Function wins though, good job.
    99 WJ LTD V8 QD, modified to Up Country, RB1/Sirius, Mopar rock rails.

Can you adjust the angle?

I assume so. They are just like any other bumper with oem fog lights.
    David
    OME SS
    IPF series 868 lights

are the bolts exposed a fashion statement? cuz if so ill relocate mine to the outside of the bumper to show them off. turns out the grade 8's get hella street credit

great write up tho

No. They are hardly unless youre looking for them.
    David
    OME SS
    IPF series 868 lights

I have a 98 grand cherokee limited and I simply replaced the OEM bulbs with 100 watt versions they are $8 each from autozone

plenty of light.. no need for aftermarket the part number is not the same as OEM but if you look on the rack you simply have to compare the bulbs to one that looks the same and is rated for 100W you will have to look at the backing plate of bulb very closely as you will need to modify it slightly with wire cutter to fit properly.

yeah ..yeah not supposed to modify stuff to fit but look at ya jeep very closely how much other stuff is not stock and or modified other then stock?

I got really bright lamps almost equal to them yuppies with HID for cost of stock bulbs.. oh and I put 100w in main lights and aimed them slightly up as well so between the 2 in low beam mode I have a broad band of light in front of me and high beams are only for "self defense" against yuppies with HID lamps.

nice work! they look just like factory. you can also use pannel bond instead of screws/bolts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffon327 View Post
    I got really bright lamps almost equal to them yuppies with HID for cost of stock bulbs.. oh and I put 100w in main lights and aimed them slightly up as well so between the 2 in low beam mode I have a broad band of light in front of me and high beams are only for "self defense" against yuppies with HID lamps.
    i'm one of those so called "yuppies" with lots of hid's up front!
    2000 WJ, silver & black, 4.7 full time 4x4, 5.5" lift, 33's, tinted windows, truck bed lined all plastics, led interior lights, 4300k hid high/low & fogs, roof rack basket, cold air intake, iro rock sliders

2000 dodge dakota r/t, intense blue w/ pearl, bagged, 20's, 4 tv's, ps2, 2-12" subs, 2500 watt amp, custom bed, nitrogen bottle w/ bottle bracket, stage 2 jet chip, cold air intake, tb spacer, 180 t-stat

1989 ford ranger, rat rod flat black with lime green keystone klassic wheels, lime green custon flamed skull grill insert, 08 yzf 450 yoshimura exhaust, propane injected exhaust flame thrower

"TWEEKmods"
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/394892...ort-utility-4d

I have a 98 grand cherokee limited and I simply replaced the OEM bulbs with 100 watt versions they are $8 each from autozone

plenty of light.. no need for aftermarket the part number is not the same as OEM but if you look on the rack you simply have to compare the bulbs to one that looks the same and is rated for 100W you will have to look at the backing plate of bulb very closely as you will need to modify it slightly with wire cutter to fit properly.

yeah ..yeah not supposed to modify stuff to fit but look at ya jeep very closely how much other stuff is not stock and or modified other then stock?

Wouldn't this cause a dangerous amount of glare?

I don't turn on the front fog lamps unless they are needed, and the only thing I did was replace the DOT headlamps with ECE headlamps that are aimed to ECE specifications. With my setup, there is no glare to other road users and the road is illuminated well. Instead of higher powered bulbs, wouldn't it be better to improve headlamp optics?
    |2001 WJ|4,0L|42RE|NV 242|380000 km|ECE Compliant|
    Внедорожник для Экспедиций и Приключений

The lower lamps are NOT "fog lamps" unless there is an amber bulb in them.

if there is a normal / clear bulb then they are "driving lights" in which case they are there and when "I" am "driving" I sorta wanna USE UM ...

With that said if I can toss higher wattage bulbs in them for about the cost of a gallon of gasoline and get sorta close to the out put of an HID system in order to see the road with a lil bit of adjustment. as far as glare for the other drivers?? the amount of light I am bouncing off the fellow drivers eye sockets is comparable to the amount these so called legal OEM HID lamps are doing so all is fair in my book. ... cop didn't see it ?? I didn't do it .. words to follow and live by.

Registered

Who's been lying to you? The difference between fog and driving lights is the lens and how is disperses light and not the color of the bulb.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5815575_di...g-lights_.html

if there is a normal / clear bulb then they are "driving lights" in which case they are there and when "I" am "driving" I sorta wanna USE UM ...

With that said if I can toss higher wattage bulbs in them for about the cost of a gallon of gasoline and get sorta close to the out put of an HID system in order to see the road with a lil bit of adjustment. as far as glare for the other drivers?? the amount of light I am bouncing off the fellow drivers eye sockets is comparable to the amount these so called legal OEM HID lamps are doing so all is fair in my book. ... cop didn't see it ?? I didn't do it .. words to follow and live by.

Stock Is NOT An Option mdoffroad's Avatar

This is kinda like that commercial "where did ya hear that? Internet" "oh so it must be true".

In all reality a fog STYLE lense is a multifaceted unit with wide dispersal rather than a porjected tight beam. They are designed to be mounted fairly low on the vehicle. While its true about any color works in those lenses, YELLOWISH lighting reflects LESS VISIABLY off of suspended matter, such as snow and fog. If you are the guy that beleives everything off the internet by an official lookign sight, then go try it.... When the snow is coming down hard, Id MUCH rather have my yellow IPFs running than my white beamed HID's. Its SO much less reflected light and makes driving easier. So TECHNICALLY yellow bulbs have no advantage in a fog housing, it just works better when its inclement weather....feel free to not beleive, I'll be the guy driving around you in the snow because you wont get out of my way
    MÄττ
    Hangin' on JU for more than 13 years now!!

http://mdpreparedness.com/forum/index.php
    http://www.mdshooters.com/

Replacing a bulb does not change what type of beam pattern the lamp has.

There are several categories and sub categories of beam patterns.

Dipped/Low/Passing Beam:
    DOT/SAE Dipped Beam: DOT requires a fuzzy beam pattern that directs 10% of light upwards towards overhead and roadside signs so they may be seen easier. DOT lamps may or may not have a cutoff, and if a cutoff is present, it may be of two different general types: VOL, which is conceptually similar to the ECE beam in that the cutoff is located at the top of the left side of the beam and aimed slightly below horizontal, or VOR, which has the cutoff at the top of the right side of the beam and aimed at the horizon. The specifications for DOT lamps have not changed since the 1950's.

ECE Dipped Beam: ECE headlamps have a wide beam that lights the road from side to side. There is a sharp horizontal transition from dark to light, and an upkick or wedge of light on the right side of the beam pattern is used to light up roadside signs. You can expect about four times as much light on the road as a standard sealed beam. Because of the tight beam control, these lamps can be aimed very accurately. The effect is that the ECE lamps actually put more light on the road to drive with, and offend oncoming traffic MUCH LESS because of the sharp cutoff in the lighting pattern.

Main/Full/High Beam:

DOT Full Beam: DOT requires that the beam pattern distributes light both straight ahead and to the sides of the road. These lamps have no particular control of light directed towards other road users' eyes. Because of the DOT dipped beam requirements, and the resulting lens and reflector design, it's difficult to get a good main beam from dual beam lamps.

ECE Full Beam: ECE requires a centre weighted beam pattern with little light directed towards the sides of the road.

Driving beam: These are used with the main beams. The pattern is conical, flattened at the top and bottom and about 110-120 degrees wide. Useful until about 650 metres.

Pencil Beam: These produce a very long, narrow beam - very specialized. Used for rally in conjunction with other lamps and used for desert racing but with at least a dozen on a vehicle. These will light a reflector from a distance of several kilometres.

Fog Pattern: These produce a very wide and very flat beam pattern. These lamps are aimed to illuminate the road at a distance of less than 50 metres. The fog lamps' job is to show you the edges of the road, the lane markings, and the immediate foreground. When used in combination with the headlamps, good fog lamps weigh the overall beam pattern towards the foreground so that even though there may be a relatively high level of upward stray light from the headlamps causing glareback from the fog or falling rain or snow, there will be more foreground light than usual without a corresponding increase in upward stray light, giving back some of the vision you lose to precipitation. When used without headlamps in conditions of extremely poor visibility due to snow, fog or heavy rain, good fog lamps light the foreground and the road edges only, so you can see your way safely at reduced speeds.

Position Light: These are the European equivalent of parking lights. The main difference is that forward facing position lamps must produce a white light (orange light is only allowed for turn signals). This is done by using a W5W bulb mounted somewhere in the headlamp housing.

Why does America not use ECE standards? Well, when a typical headlamp switch looks like this, it might make driving more dangerous that it is now.

I have my WJ fully converted to ECE lighting and it is absolutely great. I have front and rear fog lamps as well as the ability to change the aim of the headlamps on the fly. Oh, and when you change the country code in the BCM to Europe, you can have the main beams and fog lamps on at the same time. Also, if you leave the headlamps turned on without the key in the ignition, after 8 minutes the headlamps turn off but the position lamps remain on. On the US setting, after 8 minutes all exterior lighting turns off which can be a problem.
    |2001 WJ|4,0L|42RE|NV 242|380000 km|ECE Compliant|
    Внедорожник для Экспедиций и Приключений