Thread: How to: replace front differential bushings

Default How to: replace front differential bushings

How do you know if they are bad? Get someone to shift the Jeep from P-R-D and watch the drive shaft jump around and you will get a clunk. Took two of us about 3 hours to swap it in and out.

Start by unbolting the skid plate which are 4 1/2 inch bolts. 2 in the front that you just loosen and remove the two towards the rear end.

Undo the upper ball joint and tie rod end so you have enough play in the axle out out of the differential the ball joint is an 18mm and the tie rod end is a 21mm IIRC. Take both sides off you will need the play from both sides to reinstall

Next unbolt the drive shaft they should be a 16mm should be 4 of them. Support the weight of the differential and unto the next four bolts shown below. Don't forget the vent tube and electrical connection.

Drop the differential out and and slide if off the axle shaft and drag it out from under the jeep and get it somewhere to work on it.

There's where it was. Now on to getting the old ones out, cut the rubber centers out and cut the old ones into four pieces and fold them into the middle and use a large socket to pound them out or press them out.

The bastard one on the top...

Press the new ones in with a ball joint press, I had to get them half way in with a few different parts and them switch to a pair of channel locks laid across the outer metal and a flat piece on the top of them to finish pushing them in. Make sure they are running front to back and level since it's not a sold bushing.

Reverse to re install it...

Make sure you have some gear oil because you will lose most of it and may as well change it while you have it out. You will need a 14mm bolt and two matching nuts to get the differential fill plug out to refill it looks like this.

Good Luck.

I know WK clunks now I have fixed them all.

Pretty cool man. I'm sure i need to do mine as well.
    06 WK Limited 4x4 SOLD / 392 Stroker Kit/ 2" Daystar / 18" Ballistic Jester Wheels / 265-65-18 Hankook AT's / SRT8 Exhaust Manifolds / Magnaflow Glasspacks / Pypes Hi Flow Cats / K&N Intake / HID Headlights and Fogs / Diablo Trinity / Bilstein Shocks / Rear SRT Sway / Deeza Front End Links / Crossdrilled and Slotted Rotors / Billet Technologies EGR Delete Kit and Oil Catch Can

Thanks for your info, I'm waiting for the parts to come in and then I am giving it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by goflick View Post
    Thanks for your info, I'm waiting for the parts to come in and then I am giving it a go.
    Where did you end up getting them from? I had to get mine off ebay because everywhere else was sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekL View Post
    Where did you end up getting them from? I had to get mine off ebay because everywhere else was sold out.
    http://www.gatorautoparts.com/

They have the bushings and the bracket and better price than my dealership.

What weight gear oil and how much am I going to need???

75w-140 IIRC 2 quarts.

Quote Originally Posted by goflick View Post
    http://www.gatorautoparts.com/

They have the bushings and the bracket and better price than my dealership.
    Do you have the part #'s handy?
    06 WK Limited 4x4 SOLD / 392 Stroker Kit/ 2" Daystar / 18" Ballistic Jester Wheels / 265-65-18 Hankook AT's / SRT8 Exhaust Manifolds / Magnaflow Glasspacks / Pypes Hi Flow Cats / K&N Intake / HID Headlights and Fogs / Diablo Trinity / Bilstein Shocks / Rear SRT Sway / Deeza Front End Links / Crossdrilled and Slotted Rotors / Billet Technologies EGR Delete Kit and Oil Catch Can

Manufacturer Part No: 52089516AB

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-GRAND-C...ht_2381wt_1163

Got mine off ebay real quick real easy.

The bracket is part #52114354AA

Registered

Somewhere I read that it can be done without removing the front axle, but by disconnecting the drive shaft and the other bushings and rotating the whole housing forward to get to the front bushing.. That possible ?
    2005 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi Bridgestone Revos's 255/70-17

I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurrijeff View Post
    Somewhere I read that it can be done without removing the front axle, but by disconnecting the drive shaft and the other bushings and rotating the whole housing forward to get to the front bushing.. That possible ?
    Yes it is possible. The job is still a pain in the behind. But, indeed it is possible.

How are the replacement bushings holding up? I don't want to go through all of this only to have them fall apart in 30K miles as well.

05' WK Inferno Red 5.7 Hemi Limited QDII
    Rock Krawler X-Factor
    OME N190 Rear Shocks
    BF Goodrich All-Terrain 265/70/17E
    Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers
    08-10 Front Fascia Conversion
    Saquaro 4XComponents Boulder Grill Insert
    AEM Brute Force CAI
    Billet Technology Catch Can

Traded the jeep in after I got an estimate to replace front and rear diffs. Never had another clunk though.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by DerekL View Post
    Traded the jeep in after I got an estimate to replace front and rear diffs. Never had another clunk though.
    Why did the diffs need to be replaced?

2005 JGC WK Hemi & QDII
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    AEV Pintler wheels and 265/65-17 BFG AT TA KOs
    4XGuard Matrix and front skid.
    HID Flood Lights\HID Drivers
    www.topohiker.com

Worn out, pulling too much weight, sunk it and got gunk in them.