Thread: cracked block

Default cracked block

i am looking at an 81 Cherokee wide track with a straight six. the owner says it has a crack in the block that water comes leaks from but the jeep does run strong and oil/water haven't mixed. would i be in bad shape if i bought this jeep for $650? also, how difficult would it be to find/swap another straight 6 block? (new to jeeps, somewhat mechanically inclined)

Registered

The 4.0's are almost a bolt in, fly wheel/flex plate from the 258 bolt on, it mates to the tranny, and you can gain MPFI by using the wiring and computer, one would need to add an electric fuel pump. I have a 4.0 (89 renix engine) in mine with the intake from the 258, to use the intake I removed the locating dowels and lowered it to cover the ports, I even used the dizzy and harmonic balancer from the 258 and all the original pulleys, power steering (had to make a bracket) and alternator, got rid of the air pump though. (Used the water pump from the 258 as the renix engine (and newer 4.0's) pump rotates the opposite direction.) But I could have used the stuff that was with the engine and updated the belts. I wanted a stock look,

If it leaks and doesn't get to the oil I have seen folks use "water glass" to "fix" it
    Good luck

Registered

oh ya on the renix 4.0 one has to mod the drivers side moter mount a bit for a larger bolt

thank you very much for your input sir!

If it is JUST a crack in the water jacket (if so, I'd bet it froze at some point), you can JB Weld it & it will last forever.

Registered

Or have the crack brazed. I have done this succesfully before.
    Ron