Thread: CJ Front Fiberglass Clip - Let's See'em

Default CJ Front Fiberglass Clip - Let's See'em

My daughter is looking to buy a CJ but might have to get her a yj and add a front clip. I gave my fenders/Grill/hood away for those in need and I was thinking a fiberglass clip might be easier to do instead of trying to find decent CJ metal.

Also, winch applications in a concern. I have only saw the hoods tilt forward.

Thanks,
    Jim
    My CJ is your yJ's Daddy!

84' CJ8-Project Jeep
    86' CJ7

TMGallery TM Build Page

'48 CJ2a 171231; '65 CJ5 Navy; '74 CJ5; '80 CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7 and '80 J-10

After selling Jeep parts and more specifically fiberglass Jeep parts for the better part of a decade I would personally recommend against 1 piece front ends. They are difficult to install well as every thing that used to be on the fender wells has to go some where else and then there is the issue of how you will make them open. I have seen it done both ways, tilt forward and lift up and back. I only would consider using a 1 piece front on a race jeep.

I would recommend finding a good grill(or buy one of the Omix phillipeno grills) and doing the hood and fenders in fiber glass. For that matter finding good CJ steel hoods isn't that tough so you could just do glass fenders.

1970 CJ-6: 305 TPI V8, NV4500, Dana 18 w/Teralow 3:15 gears, Dana 44 rear w/Detroit, 4:88s and custom Moser Alloy shafts, Dana 30 front w/4:88s and Bid Daddy OR HD Tierod kit flipped on top of the knuckles, full cage tied in with Saginaw power steering conversion and power brake conversion. 35 inch Super Swamper SSRs on 17x9 Procomp Steel Wheels. Kilby On Board Air---
    2000 XJ Cherokee Sport - Traded the old girl in on a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 so I could tow the CJ to and from the trail. Only one Jeep in the family these days.

I have a old AJ clip that had a pipe in the front to hinge on

plates that I made with bearings to tilt on

wiring for front end

older ford truck front wiring had plugs in then for all the lights that I used to take my clip off if needed

kentrol made hood hinges for AJ with out the pin so I made pins to hold my front end down

I made my raddy just like factory had to cut the factory grill dowm to hold the in place behind the glass grill and made bars to go back to the fire wall so raddy can flex through mount and hose

these to hold the clip at the firewall

1978 cj-7 golden eagle had since 1979
    304 -360-401
    401 .030 over- full floating flat top pistons
    crower solid cam 292/298 - .500/.510 lift
    .246/.250 duration.050
    th-400 / 4500 stall
    Dana 44 5:13 gears
    aj glass body
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...401/?start=all
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...cj7/?start=all
    11.669 @ 112.33 mph 33x10.50 slicks and 4" lift in the 1/4 mile all motor no spray / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile

Ok thanks again, Nice Job Fuzz.

Let's see what she ends up with, then I'll let her decide.

At least this way I can give her the info.

Thanks again,
    Jim

84' CJ8-Project Jeep
    86' CJ7

TMGallery TM Build Page

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by CJSIXER View Post
    I would recommend finding a good grill(or buy one of the Omix phillipeno grills) and doing the hood and fenders in fiber glass. For that matter finding good CJ steel hoods isn't that tough so you could just do glass fenders.
    x2 on this. I found a used pair of fiberglass fenders, a used hood, and a used grill for my CJ-6. None of them were hard to find or expensive.

Bob
    74 CJ6 build in progress
    04 Hemi ram

Bob

Thanks, good thoughts

84' CJ8-Project Jeep
    86' CJ7

TMGallery TM Build Page

Registered

A billion years ago I found, used, fiberglass fenders, hood and grille for the CJ, along with a 4WD fiberglass tub in Onalaska, WI. It's worked well, the fender inner-fender is a little different than the stock CJ metal fenders, but I've lived with it.