Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kill Switch/Keep It From Being Stolen

Kill Switch/Keep It From Being Stolen

'85 CJ7.

I've got tons of $$$ in this thing. I'm looking for hints on how to wire up a kill switch, or something similiar. Any suggestions, links, or whatever would be much appreciated. I'm sure at least a few people have decided to protect their investment. How'd ya do it?

------------------
    1985 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
    258 I6
    TF999 Auto Tranny
    Dana300 Transfer Case
    Dana 30 Up Front
    AMC 20 In The Rear
    2.5" 4WD Lift, 2" Body Lift, AR Wheels, 33x12.50 BFG Muds, Herculined,TFI Ignition Upgrade, Accel Super Coil, Bosch Platinum +4 Plugs, Rancho 5000 Steering Stabilizer, Glacier White Paint Job, Rosser Jeep Front and Rear Bumpers, Homemade Instatrunk....

[This message has been edited by 1985CJ7Laredo (edited 05-25-2002).]
    1983 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler
    1985 Jeep CJ7 Laredo [SOLD]

Registered

Buddy of mine just finished his second jeep, first one in fact did get stolen. This one has 3 keys to start. Kill switch with a key to turn, regular ignition with key to activate the MSD, and a starter button to turn it over.
    '80 Lime Green CJ-7, street legal and driven daily; 401-.040 over, 294° Clevite cam, KB354 Hypereutectic pistons, Performer intake, TBI, MSD; Z-34 hood vents; TF727; clocked flat D300 w/ 32 spline shafts, Lomax 4:1, & twin sticks; full-width SOA 4.10 Dana 60's front and rear w/ Detroits; 1410 driveshafts; wheelbase stretched 5 1/2"; 38.5x14.5x16.5 SX's on 12 bolt double beadlock Hummer rims;1 ton Vanco Hydroboost brakes; custom WFO Concepts double steering arms; PSC extreme steering box; Tuffy cargo box; custom shock mounts front and rear; Warn 9500Ti winch; custom bumpers; On-board Air; A to Z rocker guards; and a gas tank and wallet that are always on EMPTY!

How did he wire up his kill switch and where did he place it?
    1983 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Registered

I plan on putting a ignition kill switch inside of my Tuffy glove box, run in through the back above the fan ducting. I already use a master power switch that's under the hood too, it works great except for having to reprogram the radio tuner all the time LOL.

Registered

you could splice into the line that feeds power to the coil, and install a switch, so the engine keeps turning over, but doesn't start
    CJ7, 40" iroks, 1Tons, 5.13's, ARB's, Coilovers, Links, other stuff

How about just pull the coil wire and keep it with you... I don't think too many thiefs are going to be bringing one with them when they come to steal your Jeep.

Kyle

------------------
    1984 Jeep $crambler
    (The neverending project vehicle... "Jeeps are built, not bought.")
    JEEP: Just Empty Every Pocket
    1998 S-10 ZR2 Ext Cab

I think I want to do a main power kill in the glove box like mentioned above. My question then becomes: what kind of switch would I use to handle the main battery power? Also, how do I keep that switch from draining my battery?
    1983 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Registered

http://www.painlesswiring.com/toggleacc.htm
    Part # 50710 or 80140, or you can get then from most on-line parts houses.

" Also, how do I keep that switch from draining my battery? "
    I am not sure what you mean, a " master switch " will not draw current it's a big switch that goes between your battery and everything else. FWIW I would put the master switch under the hood, and an ignition kill switch inside the glove box, that way the cant start it, you don't have to reset you radio stations all the time, and you can get a good shot at the crook while he tries to figure out why the Jeep he's trying to steal will crank but not start, it's stone dead when he tries to start he will start looking for a kill switch right away.
    PS put a lock on your hood or all this is a waste of time.

Hope this helps

Registered

Jacobs Electronics has a Kit for around forty bucks. Look on Summit racing under part number JAC-600000.

Zack,
    '80CJ7
    Zack,
    '80CJ7

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CJ8Rockcrawler:
    How about just pull the coil wire and keep it with you... I don't think too many thiefs are going to be bringing one with them when they come to steal your Jeep.
    </font>

Problem with this is that a crafty thief will rob one spark plug wire and use it as a coil wire and drive your Jeep off with one less cylinder firing. Only works for inexperienced kids that just want to joyride.

D@mn thiefs.

------------------
    Dan
    95 ZJ limited 5.2l,
    84 CJ-7,Weber,HEI,YJ tub, etc...
    Dan's Jeep Page
    Dan
    '84 CJ-7,Weber,HEI,YJ tub,Onboard Welder,OBA,etc...
    '47 CJ-2A...in a pile.
    n2jeepn.com

Jeep Shirts & stuff

Registered

How would you prevent somebody from towing away your rig? I'll be participating in the Jeep Jamboree Rubicon ride in August and we'll be staying the night in a hotel the first night before the ride. I'll have my jeep hooked up behind my truck in the parking lot.

any ideas?

------------------
    George
    '83 CJ-7
    Member of the San Diego Rough Riders
    http://members.cox.net/rough-riders/members/george_teding.html
    http://www.dana60.com/cjman/jeep-apr.jpg
    ...Do I build my Jeep to 4 Wheel...or do I 4 Wheel to build my Jeep?
    George
    '83 CJ-7

...Do I build my Jeep to 4 Wheel...or do I 4 Wheel to build my Jeep?

anyone have any pics of their kill switch setups? or wiring diagrams? Are you just cutting right into the Positive battery cable or what??
    1983 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Thumbs up

The easiest way to do this is to use a micro swithc you can hide and a relay like the ones used for off road lights. Wire the relay in line on the coil power wire so that unless the switch is activated, the coil will get no power. I have also had a truck that had this setup and used the headlight switch to activate the relay. The truck would only start if the parking lights were turned on.

------------------
    85 Red Cj7 258 (rebuilt), Howell FI on Offenhauser intake,MSD 6A, TFI, Hedman Hedders T176, Dana 300, Oxlocked Superior Axle D30 front, Custom high pinion Detroit locked ford 9 inch rear,4.56 gears, 33x12.5 BFG A/T KO,4 inch lift custom springs, Premier Power Welder

yellorover@yahoo.com

Registered

When you guys are talking about putting a "kill" relay switch between the coil, you are talking between the + terminal of the coil right?

I have seen a few kill switches @ a boat shop. Some of them for a dual battery switch. Check it out.

Also, if you going to put a kill switch in your engine compartment...have a lock on the hood so the thief can't get to your hood.
    Luan To
    Pain and chaos is a big part in jeep world...
    Visit my website(just click on the picture below):

MyWork

Registered

Did a search on the net and found this...

http://www.autospeed.com/A_0059/page1.html

Here is the diagram for it:
    Luan To
    Pain and chaos is a big part in jeep world...
    Visit my website(just click on the picture below):

MyWork

Thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by toluan:
    When you guys are talking about putting a "kill" relay switch between the coil, you are talking between the + terminal of the coil right?

I have seen a few kill switches @ a boat shop. Some of them for a dual battery switch. Check it out.

Also, if you going to put a kill switch in your engine compartment...have a lock on the hood so the thief can't get to your hood.
    </font>

There is no real need to lock down your hood because you can mount the relay anywhere and hide the wires in the loom. Most theives are not going to take the time to troubleshoot the system since the engine still turns over but will not start. If you really want to mess with would be theives, install an intermitant relay which will allow the engine to start for a second then die.

Captain of Industry

I did mine like this:

My coil has a resistor (?long ceramic thing) that you plug the coil + wire to and then a plug that comes from it to the ignition switch. My resistor is attached to the back side of my dash close to the ignition switch. I drilled a hole on the tub support rail that runs from the top to the floor(just in front of the e-brake mech.) and attached a large toggle switch. I located as high up the support as I could get and still reach it fairly easily. I then ran the coil+ to the switch and then on to the resisitor. This will cut off power to the coil, thus no crank. I will just reach up and flip the switch when I have to leave the Jeep parked in public places. There are probably a thousand different ways to do it. This set-up cost me 0.00 cause I had several switchs laying around.

If you were to get your head far enough into the dash you can see it. I figure if a they go through that much trouble he wants it and I'm not going to stop them.

------------------
    00 XJ - dead - totaled
    99 XJ - (2) Stock work trucks
    94 ZJ - the ultimate in Jeep luxury
    72 CJ - 360 V8, D44, D30, T-15A, D20, 4" lift, etc.
    '91YJ - Big
    '72 CJ5 - Trail Ready

Lightbulb

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dan 95 ZJ:

Problem with this is that a crafty thief will rob one spark plug wire and use it as a coil wire and drive your Jeep off with one less cylinder firing. Only works for inexperienced kids that just want to joyride.

D@mn thiefs.

</font>
    How about replacing it with a dummy wire, say one made out of spark plug boots and a piece of vacuumn line. Might take em a while to figure out what is wrong with it. Unfortunately if they want it bad enough, there's not much you can do to prevent it from being stolen.

------------------
    Oliver Harris
    "Grandpa Jeep" '50 CJ-3A Turbo 2.3L Mustang SVO engine, T-98, D-18, 8000 lb. Ramsey PTO Winch
    Oliver Harris
    "Grandpa Jeep" '50 CJ-3A Turbo 2.3L Mustang SVO engine, T-98, D-18, 8000 lb. Ramsey PTO Winch, D30, FFD44, lock-rites in both.

Registered

A highbeam foot switch works well. Wire it in series with your ignition wire. Switch can be mounted out of sight on your firewall, activated with your foot, and can handle 30A of current.

Registered
    another thing that works well are electric line locks. You can wire them into an alarm system to lock all 4 wheels the second that you turn on the alarm. That way even if they manage to get the jeep started they can't move the damn thing. This is what I am planing to do, among other electrical shut-off switches. HTH

~Kirk

------------------
    '82 CJ-7
    Engine: '90 Chevy 350
    Trany: NV4500
    T/C: Dana 300
    Dana 44 front ARB, High Steering, Warn Axles
    Dana 44 Rear (scout II) Shimmed Limited Slip
    4" Spring lift
    1" Body lift
    2" Shakle lift

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast