Thread: Mopar antifreeze

Default Mopar antifreeze

I changed out the radiator on my 04 Grand Cherokee Limited (v8) and put back most of the orange antifreeze. I needed a little more to top off and fill the overflow bottle. I went to Chrysler and purchased a gallon. When I opened it home the color is pink??? Is this mixable with the orange?

Are you sure you got Mopar 5yr long life HOAT type coolant? as you already know it should be dyed dark orange. What is the Mopar part# from the jug or parts receipt?

Default Mopar antifreeze

The Part# on the gallon jug is 68048953AB. Ms9769G is another # on the front. The word "Ebittered" appears also on the front along with the mileage and time statement. When I purchased this I specifically asked for HOAT and said my antifreeze color is orange. Is this the wrong stuff??

When I last bought long life coolant from a Mopar dealer the part # was 5066386AA which superceeds to a newer #68048953AA. So you have the correct coolant, maybe it just looks pink in the jug?

Default Mopar antifreeze

No..............This is an unmistakable Pink. I will call the dealer parts store and ask. I wont use it until I am absolutely sure. I will post what I find out.Thanks for the quick replies.

Default Mopar antifreeze

I called the dealer and he said it's the right stuff. He read the part # and it was the same. He also stated that he carries two types of antifreeze. One is green while the other is this reddish color (looks pink to me). So were correct. This is the right stuff...........................Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by topat46 View Post
    I called the dealer and he said it's the right stuff. He read the part # and it was the same. He also stated that he carries two types of antifreeze. One is green while the other is this reddish color (looks pink to me). So were correct. This is the right stuff...........................Thanks again!
    It is always good to check. Using the wrong coolant can dissolve some of the metals in the cooling system and eat through your engine seals. It is surprising howmany people here will get the wrong stuff (intentionally or not) and they try to defend their action..... these seem tp be the same people who have all these problems to begin with....
    -br

Helping one another is why we are all here on Jeeps-Unlimited, or should be.
    http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n171/Billy_Ray_2006/

I'm not defending anything, but I will have to say that switching over to the green coolant after an entire coolant system flush is not "Bad" and the green coolant is long life 5 year/150,000 miles just like the hard to find HOAT coolant.

I have an 04 Grand Cherokee and an 05 Wrangler and both of them are now running the green coolant (found just about everywhere). The only real problem with the green coolant and HOAT is when you mix the two or use one to top off the other. My 04 GC had maybe 72K on it when the OEM water pump failed in a big way! The entire bearing assembly was toast and I'm glad I caught it when I did. The coolant I drained was very nasty and I had a good amount of sludge in the overflow bottle. For a long life antifreeze it was at the end of the road at 72K vs 150k.

I bought my 04 GC used with around 45K on it and maybe just maybe someone topped it off with the wrong stuff, but I bought it from a woman that always took it to the dealer and I have all the service records and none show any work done to the cooling system. I've now got close to 135K and the coolant is still nice and clean with no sludge in the overflow bottle.

My 05 Wrangler started to do the same thing in the overflow bottle so I fully flushed the system and then replaced it with the green coolant. I'm the second owner of the Wrangler, but I bought it when it had less than 3K on it and I know for sure no one ever touched the coolant.

If you can find the HOAT stuff then go ahead and use it. For me I couldn't find it except at a dealer and I'm not going to pay 25.00 a jug. What if you break down in the middle of no where?? Good luck finding HOAT....
    "05 Rubicon with a 4spd Auto, MT Classic II Beadlock Rims with 33 Pro Comp M/T's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn Gas Tank Skid, GenRight Front Tube Fenders, Pro Comp 2inch Lift Kit, JKS 1.25 BL, JKS 1inch MML, Warn XD9000i Winch, Cobra CB, and all the survival gear needed for owning a Jeep."

The straight HOAT MOPAR coolant(not 50/50 mix) will look pink till you mix it 50/50 with distilled water.Zerex GO5 is HOAT coolant also and is yellow,found at Napa mostly.Ford's Gold coolant is also HOAT coolant.

The color of the coolant does not mean anything anymore,you have to read the fine print.Any coolant labeled "universal" or "all makes/models" is OAT coolant and can be red,pink,blue,purple,and yes even green.
    I drive a Liberty,laugh now.

Sitting on 35's,HP44,RockJock60,and 4:3 AtlasII