Thread: 87 jeep cherokee chief coolant issues

Default 87 jeep cherokee chief coolant issues

When I bought my 87, I made sure it was given a full tuneup. Last year, I was driving thru Indiana on a hot day and my coolant reservoir sprung a leak. It had cracked. I bought a new one, changed it out and headed home. That was when the troubles began. I could not stop it from overheating. I found out the car had to be bled, which was done. No problems for a year. Now, the same thing is happening. I replaced the reservoir because, on a hot day, it had heated to the point of blowing the cap off, the hold down strap was off, and the tank was barely hanging there. The cap was stripped. I told the mechanic to bleed the system. I don't think he did. I am losing fluid when I drive. I went online to search "bleeding the system" and came up with how to bleed the system the easy way. It states "By removing this Coolant Temperature Sending Unit, located at the rear of your head on driver's side and parking with the nose downhill you can bleed trapped air from the coolant system." This, I was told, is a pain in the butt and dangerous. I could do it the easy way, tho, by adding a 'Prestone Flush & Fill' kit instead. It will include a heater hose connector 'tee' which you can insert into the uppermost heater hose. (I think I would buy a brass fitting tho over plastic if I can find one). Would this work on the closed cooling system? I've never used one before and not sure how to do it once it is installed. Any ideas?

As long as the system is cool, there's no real danger pulling the temp sensor out. If you're not careful and over torque it, you could snap it off.

The inline filler would be OK too. You''ll just have to go through several cold-hot-cold cycles to ensure the entrapped air is purged.

I don't bother with either and simply fill the bottle, drive around to 20 minutes, let it cool and top the bottle off to the right mark. Then repeat until the level remains consistent.

A common problem with after market expansion bottles is the caps don't seal well. These are *not* overflow bottles as in a open system. They see full pressure and any leaks will compromise cooling. I run an OEM cap (bought from my local dealer) on an aftermarket bottle (bought from Quadratec) and it seals just fine. Been nearly 4 years since my last replacement.

You can also use a screw type hose clamp around the cap to help tighten it down. I've found once you've overheated and blown past the cap, the cap is trashed.
    Dad's Taxi:
    '88 XJ Laredo (Dad's Taxi) - 190K and going strong.
    2wd, K&N filter in stock airbox, Ford Injectors, No other mods

Is it happening only on a hot day?
    did the car overheat when it happened?
    Saar.
    2001 XJ Classic, RE 3.5, 245/75/16 Copper STT
    Cars games
    4WD Games

only on a hot day. My guage didn't show it was overheating. In fact, it was fine when it was running. When I shut the car off, it happened. Now that I put the puzzle together, this is also what happened a year ago. I shut the car off and the reservoir started leaking. It was also a hot day. (I hate these plastic tanks)