Thread: front wheel hub assembly

Default front wheel hub assembly

is the front wheel bearing hub assembly difficult to change on a 99 grand cherokee?

Safety Guy Extraordinaire FirefightinWJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steveandtracy7 View Post
    is the front wheel bearing hub assembly difficult to change on a 99 grand cherokee?
    No.

Remove the wheel, caliper, rotor, 36mm hub nut, and 3 bolts holding the bearing on. Beat bearing off with BFH. Reinstall.
    -Devin
    04 WJ Laredo I6
    IRO 5.5 Critical Path, 255/55/17 BFG MT KM,
    3.73 44a Swap w/spartan locker, Flowmaster 70, Carsound Cat, Dynomax 2.5 Tailpipe, Rusty's Towhooks, 63mm Throttle Body, KOR Sliders

^^ this^^ the 3 bolts are 13mm IIRC ,use a box end wrench and a hammer to tap them loose. use blue loc-tite when installing
    85 CJ-7 Nuttered w/ TeamRush upgrade & 8,000 lb winch
    94 5.2 Grand ZJ 250,000 + On the road again w/242 swap

I just did my front passenger side tonight. It had been humming for some time and recently got worse. It was really easy to get off just a little effort to cracks the three bolts and hubnut and with a few moderate taps with the hammer it came right off. One problem I had was the bolts would not thread into the new Timken Brand Assembly so I had to bring it back to Autozon and get the Duralast brand which was just fine.

After putting it back together and going on a test drive the sonud had diminished but as it turns out the drivers side needs a replacment as well I am going to do it tomorrow.
    2005 WK Hemi Limited

Previous Jeeps

1999 XJ Sport.

1997 ZJ Laredo

2001 WJ Laredo

Did the other side today, alot easiser than I ever expected the old assembly came off real easy and my Jeep has over 160K and I live in an area that uses alot of salt. The jeep rides alot quieter now. If you can handle a brake job you can handle this.
    2005 WK Hemi Limited

Previous Jeeps

1999 XJ Sport.

1997 ZJ Laredo

2001 WJ Laredo

Quote Originally Posted by BillRadd View Post
    ...One problem I had was the bolts would not thread into the new Timken Brand Assembly so I had to bring it back to Autozon and get the Duralast brand which was just fine.
    Great. I just ordered a set of the Timken ones from Rock Auto.

After you got the 36mm nut off did the hub assy. slide off the axle pretty easily? I'd like to leave the axle stuck in the differential and just carefully R&R the hub if possible. I have a gear puller if necessary.
    5.9 ZJ SCT tuned PCM/ KJK CAI/ Thorley headers with 3" Magnaflow cat and muffler/ Modded kegger/ TransGo shift kit/ Vanco brake kit/ Braided steel brake lines/ Mopar cupholder insert!

Quote Originally Posted by kjk View Post
    Great. I just ordered a set of the Timken ones from Rock Auto.

After you got the 36mm nut off did the hub assy. slide off the axle pretty easily? I'd like to leave the axle stuck in the differential and just carefully R&R the hub if possible. I have a gear puller if necessary.
    Yep the bolts did not fit on the Timken but fit fine on the Autozone duralast maybe mine was a fluke and I would have prefered the Timken for the longer warranty and made in NH. When I removed the hub I gave the axle a light tap to break it free then worked the hub of with a 5lb sledge it took maybe 5 minutes to remove. When I did the drivers side I accidently pulled the axle out of the pumpkin but it slid back in I guess theres no clips holding it in. (Its an open Dana 30 I think) You will be pleasantly surprised at how easy the job is.
    2005 WK Hemi Limited

Previous Jeeps

1999 XJ Sport.

1997 ZJ Laredo

2001 WJ Laredo

Quote Originally Posted by BillRadd View Post
    Yep the bolts did not fit on the Timken but fit fine on the Autozone duralast maybe mine was a fluke...
    I tested one of the bolts in mine and they threaded in fine.
    5.9 ZJ SCT tuned PCM/ KJK CAI/ Thorley headers with 3" Magnaflow cat and muffler/ Modded kegger/ TransGo shift kit/ Vanco brake kit/ Braided steel brake lines/ Mopar cupholder insert!

Registered

FYI, those three long bolts are 12-point 1/2" NOT 13mm. I know, minor distinction, but they really are NOT metric heads. The 1/2" fits better. You stand a small chance of rounding off the head with a 13mm, at least around here (salt state) when those bolts get stuck.

Every single time Ive done these (3 or 4 times in all) at least one bolt gets really frozen. Usually driver's side, front bolt. Either rounded off head or SNAP.

I always get at least one spare bolt before I start...

If you dont live in a salt state, you probably dont care. Heck, even if you do you probably dont care. I just wanna throw it out there.

FYI, I just did mine about 6-8 months ago, and the driver's side is making some noise again I think. Either that or I have a bad tire... Have to find out soon. 1-year warranty on the "national" brand from AA. Shoulda ordered the good spicer ones. Originals lasted 160K miles.
    1996 ZJ Limited 5.2l, 31" Pirelli Scorpion AT, UC springs with Anthony's BB, Trac-lok, K&N FIPK, and heated seats that work now! (SOLD)

2002 WJ Limited 4.7l, tow package, moonroof, 06 Rubicon Rims, bone stock but 21mpg!

Icon922

In the process of doing my hubs now (along with ball joints,tie rods, rotors....). Just picked up new hub bolts from Jeep/Chrysler dealership... cost 5 bucks a piece.

The old bolt heads were all pitted (from rust).