Thread: t-18 fluid?

Registered

Post t-18 fluid?

I installed a t18a (1979 cj-5)into my cj7.I was told that it took 5 liters of 80/90 weight oil.this is what I have in and it does go over my top drain plug-but im getting alot of gear noise.am i using the right oil for this tranny?
    Todd Kelch- 1980 CJ-7,Amc 360,t-18a,Dana 20,Front& Rear Dana44's(4.27gears),
    Spring Over + 2.5" Bodylift,35"x15x15.5 S.Swampers-sx,6 Point Rollcage,Rancho 9000's,
    & Warn HS9500 Winch!(ect.........................)And of course "TREMCLAD YELLOW"

http://www3.sympatico.ca/1crazy-jeeper/todd.html

Registered

I know that you use 90 wt oil, but I can't remember how much to use. I can check my service manual when I go home from work and let you know if you are concerned about not having enough oil in the case.

------------------
    Dan
    1979 CJ-5
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler"
    Dan
    1979 CJ-5
    There was a moment last night, when she was sandwiched between the two Finnish dwarves and the Maori tribesmen, where I thought, "Wow, I could really spend the rest of my life with this woman".

Registered
    Yes, correct oil.

1st gear is NON syncroed and noisy as hell, the rest should be fairly quiet. Describe the type of noise and when it occurs.

Tom

------------------
    78 CJ7/258/T150/D20, 4.56 gears/WIDEtrack, AMC 20/Detroit locker/Moser axles/trussed, Dana 30/Lock Right/Warn alloy axles, Clifford intake/header/cam, Motorcraft 2100, GM HEI, Superlift 4 inch SUA, 35x12.50 BFG M/T K/M's, RTI @ 705, misc body damage and missing paint.
    Angry white male.

5L sounds like way too much, but I could be off base, and I don't have a capacity chart handy.

You should fill only to the bottom of the fill hole with Jeep sitting level.

------------------
    Lynn
    '71 UNIVRSL
    PA Jeeps
    Sparky's Early CJ5 and Dauntless V6 Board
    Lynn

Early CJ5 Forums

'05 LJ, Patriot Blue
    3" FT lift, Rancho 9000XLs, 33x10.50 BFG MTs, 15x7 Outlaw IIs, Rubi flares, OME stab, JKS F&R adj trackbars, JKS QDs, custom seat risers, Cassidy's bumpers, sliders & swingout.

80/90 weight is correct. I am not sure how many quarts, but it should be filled to the bottom of the filler hole when it is level. As stated earlier, first gear is noisy but the rest should normal.

------------------
    80 CJ7, I258,Ford T18, Weber,TFI, AMC20(one Piece),D30(Lockright), D300(4:1), 4" Superlift, 35" BFG/MT,Warn 8000lb and lots of gadgets w/ more to come.
    80 CJ7, I258,4.0 head w/mpi, Ford T18,SOA AMC20(waggie, Detroit),D44(Electrac), 4.10s, D300(4:1), 1" body, .5" shackle, 35" BFG/MT, Warn 8274, dual bat., York OBA and lots of gadgets.

Frame-off scrambler build in progress

Registered

Yes it is filled to the hole-quarts/liters -Im probably getting them mixed up.anyways-yes 1st is noisy(normal)but under load (in other gears) gear noise is not bad.coasting is bad-especially in 3rd gear for whatever reason?Ive put the t-case in neutral and ran the tranny through the gears with no problem(but then there is no load).I was leaning tward the t-case till I realized that particular gears were worse than others(3rd).Ill be taking it off the road in a week to do some work and Im going to drop them out.any more tests I should check to narrow it down.(I could drag my boss underneath on a creeper down the highway if you think I should.......................)
    Spring Over + 2.5" Bodylift,35"x15x15.5 S.Swampers-sx,6 Point Rollcage,Rancho 9000's,
    & Warn HS9500 Winch!(ect.........................)And of course "TREMCLAD YELLOW"

Registered

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by todd kelch:
    Yes it is filled to the hole-quarts/liters -Im probably getting them mixed up.anyways-yes 1st is noisy(normal)but under load (in other gears) gear noise is not bad.coasting is bad-especially in 3rd gear for whatever reason?Ive put the t-case in neutral and ran the tranny through the gears with no problem(but then there is no load).I was leaning tward the t-case till I realized that particular gears were worse than others(3rd).Ill be taking it off the road in a week to do some work and Im going to drop them out.any more tests I should check to narrow it down.(I could drag my boss underneath on a creeper down the highway if you think I should.......................)</font>
    BAsed on your info:

Input shaft bearing. Make sure you replace the pilot bushing when you drop the trans to replace the bearing or the same could happen again in short order.

------------------
    78 CJ7/258/T150/D20, 4.56 gears/WIDEtrack, AMC 20/Detroit locker/Moser axles/trussed, Dana 30/Lock Right/Warn alloy axles, Clifford intake/header/cam, Motorcraft 2100, GM HEI, Superlift 4 inch SUA, 35x12.50 BFG M/T K/M's, RTI @ 705, misc body damage and missing paint.
    Angry white male.

I'm guessing input bearing...
    Lynn

Early CJ5 Forums

'05 LJ, Patriot Blue
    3" FT lift, Rancho 9000XLs, 33x10.50 BFG MTs, 15x7 Outlaw IIs, Rubi flares, OME stab, JKS F&R adj trackbars, JKS QDs, custom seat risers, Cassidy's bumpers, sliders & swingout.

Registered

if it is the input shaft bearing-why is 3rd so loud and 2/4 not as bad.any ideas?

Registered
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by todd kelch:
    if it is the input shaft bearing-why is 3rd so loud and 2/4 not as bad.any ideas?</font>
    Power flow thru the gears. Greatest side load on internals in 3rd.

Tom

------------------
    Angry white male.

Registered

I think it takes 3 quarts from what i read in one of my manuals.

Registered

TY 18-A holds 6.5 pints

Registered

all the help is greatly appreciated.thanks for answering my ?s so quickly.hope I can return the favor some day.todd

Forum Leader

How much have you driven it? The last one I did made a lot of noise for a while and quieted down after being driven for a few miles. If it's been sitting a while it will take a few miles for the oil to fully make it throughout the tranny.
    75 CJ5 on 37s with other stuff

Before you tear into the transmission make sure that it's not touching the body anywhere or that no sheetmetal screws, etc. from the body are touching the trans or transfer case. You'd be surprised at how much noise a body sheetmetal screw coming into contact with engine or drivetrain parts can generate.

------------------
    Jeeper80
    Jeeper80