Thread: Window won't go up! Replaced motor & regulator

Default Window won't go up! Replaced motor & regulator

Hi! I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. A few weeks ago my rear passenger window started acting funny. It just started to go down on its own. I was able to get it to go back up, so I just figured my car was haunted.

The other day, it rolled itself all the way down again and stayed there. Nothing I could do could roll it back up. So, I figured I had to replace the motor and regulator. I did that yesterday and....my window only was able to roll down but it would not go up.

Is my new regulator a defect? Is there another problem that I failed to notice?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Registered

Have you checked the switches? I would start there.
    2002 Overland

1970 Camaro Z28
    Not Stock

what was the condition of the old regulator when you took it out? if the cable was still attached, and the motor worked, then you've got another problem (switch/wiring - could try using a switch from another door to rule that out)

Did you check the wiring in the boot between the drivers door and the body?
    That would have been the first place I would have checked for the problem you describe.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Did you check to see if the window block broke? Although I never had phantom rolling down of windows, my drivers rear window wouldn't roll up. After taking it apart I found the white window block broken. Instead of purchasing an entire new bracket with motor and everything I found this site and ordered a steel block.

Here's the site.

http://www.digitaltuning.com/?pid=jpw

Default Thanks!

Thanks for your input everybody. I haven't checked the wiring because everything I saw on the internet about my problem said to replace the regulator. So I did that.

Just one thing, though, the master switch up front/driver's side and the switch for the window with the problem (passenger rear) but do that same -window can go down but not up. Will follow through with checking the wiring in the morning. Thanks!

Default Amazing

So it wasn't the motor and/or regulator at all. It was a completely cut wire inside the boot, between the door and the body of the car. Now I can get my $200 back!

My question is, that wire, along with 2 others were cut. Should I somehow splice them back together (if so, would I simply get some wire and connect them?) or should I purchase a new harness (if so, what is that called -appears to have the wires for the window motor and regulator attached).

Thanks!

You can either add a bit of wire and solder/heat shrink tape it in or buy and use the crime style butt connectors with heat shrink covering.
    That is sufficient to make the repairs, a new harness is not needed, which is good cause the're pretty pricey.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.