Thread: Milky Substance under Oil Cap

Registered

Default Milky Substance under Oil Cap

I kind of feel like a retard for asking this question, but what would cause a white milky substance under oil cap. I know most people are going to say head gasket, but i am pretty sure it is not that. Oil was just changed and no sign on coolant or water, and not puffing white smoke. Its there a flaw in the way the oil cap sits over the plastic cover that allows moisture to get in there? Is it just all the 3 mile trips my wife makes back and forth to work. I am not sure if anyone has ran into this before and figured out a solution. Thanks guys your the best!!!!!

Registered

Its not a head gasket...I assume you have either a 3.7 or 4.7? If I were u I would be more worried if the milky substance was not there considering if u pulled the cap off any of those engines you would find the exact same stuff.
    2005 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7- RC 2 inch lift kit,
    32 General AT2, spidertrax spacers

2006 Chevy Cobalt 2.2

Registered

Oh yea sorry..... I have a 5.7... sorry I forgot to put that in there, I was a little sleepy when I typed that up.

It's most likely condensation build up under your cap , it's becoming a common issue in 3.7 , 4.7 , 5.7 engines your local auto part store sells a oil conditioner that takes out water sediment kind of like dry-gas does in your fuel

HA HA YOU MISSED

It's caused by short trips and cold/cool weather.
    Don't worry about it, it will stop/disappear in the warmer weather.
    This is common on many vehicles, i.e. has nothing to do with being a Jeep!
    No lift, no oversize tires,no Superchips, no CAI,....no major problems. 170 k miles.:
    Update: 1 Waterpump, both Fronthubs, 1 Starter, 2 Front Shocks, 1- 3rd brakelight, 1 Custom-built Rear driveshaft, 1 Ignition Switch, rebuilt rear diff.

Registered

X2 on what mannny said, except add damp to the cold/cool weather. If you add a catch can and use synthetic oil, it won't be as bad though.
    06 GCO, Dark Khaki, QDII, Siped Toyo STII 265/295 R20 tires, Tinted Ft and WS Visor, Flashing, Hi 3rd Brake Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Cbn Air Filter, Wheelskins Steer Wheel Cover, Debadged, DashHawk Veh Info Display, Fumoto Drain Valve, Billet Tech Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, Custom LX SRT-8 CAI W/Additional Air Inlet and K & N Air Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, Superchips Tuner W/Adv Trans Tuning App., Diablosport Tuner, Cust Tubular Headers w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Lwr Springs/Sway Bars, Cust Color Engine Cover, SRT8 front/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6.1 valvetrain, SLP UD Pulley, BBK 90mm T-Body, SOS coils using .060 in. spark plug gaps, 20X9 and 10 in. SRT Rep. wheels.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by mannny View Post
    It's caused by short trips and cold/cool weather.
    Don't worry about it, it will stop/disappear in the warmer weather.
    This is common on many vehicles, i.e. has nothing to do with being a Jeep!
    Thanks, that is what I thought, I always doubt myself though so I like to check.

I do use synthetic oil but do not have a catch can.

Registered

Like the other guys have said, it's normal. It comes with the territory of using a remote filler neck. You never saw it when you dumped oil straight into a valve cover... because the cap was in the valve cover.