Thread: 98 ZJ Grand Cherokee immobiliser bypass

Registered

Icon322 98 ZJ Grand Cherokee immobiliser bypass

Hello to you all from a newbie from the UK so my question concerns UK spec GC Orvis.
    A while back my remote key fob failed to operate my immobiliser so after I installed new batteries still no go. I ended up on the back of a recovery truck to get me and my Jeep home. I now have just the one spare key fob that I am using. My security system is the type where my key fob unlocks the doors and disarms the alarm system and also deactivates the immobiliser. Whenever the car is left unattended for a short period of time I have to press the unlock key on my fob to allow me to turn the engine over to start it. Is there a way for me to bypass this immobiliser as I am petrified of finding myself far from home with a 2 ton pile of junk metal? I have heard of a white junction block under the steering column. The procedure apparently was to start the engine, disconnect the blck with the engine running and reconnect the block. Anyone heard of this before?
    Thanks in anticipation of any help you may be able to offer.

If, your GC is like US GC's, (I know you have different engines in some cases).

do a search on here for 'alarm' or 'security' disable.

Keep in mind that you only should look at 96-98 systems. The earlier and later systems are totally different (in the US, at least).
    94 5.2 Ltd.
    00 4.7 Ltd. Selec-trac
    98 5.9 Ltd.
    95 5.2 Ltd.
    62 CJ-5 - Chev 283 V8 - OD

In mine, lock and unlock the drivers door with the key and the system shuts itself off. no fob needed.

Registered

Co-incidence I read this post just after posting here again from the UK after few years. In reply, beware and get the issue sorted whilst you have a working fob. Look at my post and you'll see that I've just had to junk a PERFECTLY sound 4X4 (not Jeep) just 'cos by fob has gone bad and ONLY ONE dealer in the UK can re-program it ! I would suggest you search around local auto locksmiths and Chrysler dealers while you still have a running vehicle.
    The problem is to import mass produced into the UK and the EU a different immoblizer to that used in the US and the rest of the world has to be fitted, this hands the dealer a licence to charge what they like for immobilzer / key / fob reprogramming.
    98 ZJ 4.0 liter spark ignition, LPG converted.

Registered

immobiliser bypass did you get it sorted ??? my mate has the same problem his fob is broke jeep want a fortune to replace with a coded one, we have disabled the alarm can get the motor to fire but it wont keep running because the injectors keep shutting off trying to bypass them

Registered

Google DEI 455T. That will bypass the immobiliser and let you stick in a simple momentary switch to disarm it as if you had pressed a working keypad.
    Over here they added in a May and Scofield immobiliser as well as the standard US one, to meet Thatcham requirements - handiest option is to get a £15 "Ready Remote" remote start kit from Amazon and a 455T (US ebay for about $20, one just sold yesterday!), and you are all set.
    Black 1998 ZJ Orvis

Registered

There is one up on ebay now, at least there was last night - check ebay for jeep 455t and it should come up (amongst loads of distributor caps!). TBH I'd advise anyone who has a 96-98 to pick one up - because eventually all our immobilisers will throw a hissy fit, and this is really the only way to bypass it!
    Black 1998 ZJ Orvis