Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HELP Car keeps shutting off

Default Jeep Wouldn't start 2 times(Updated)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 limited. It has 4wd. 72,xxx miles on it.

So basically here is the deal I start the truck up and drive, and while driving it will just cut out or shut off completely. Just dead. I will restart it and it might be okay for a little bit but it will shut off again. One of the times the Check Gauges light came on and there was 0 oil pressure. But after I restarted it there was no issue. Sometimes it shuts off right after starting up. I just replaced the TPS sensor and that had no change on the car at all. Not sure what to do. Should I have it towed to the dealer?
    Last edited by billy mild; 07-06-2011 at 03:11 PM.
    2003 Grand Cherokee Limited-4.7 Fully loaded. Spectre Air filter.
    1986 Porsche 944 Turbo-Stock Work in progress.
    1984 Yamaha RZ350-2 smoke or nothing.

Bump

Did you do the key dance to check for any fault codes?

On off On Off ON
    2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
    EBC Brakes
    Parrot Bluetooth
    Gen 3 Headlights, [B]Quantum Blue AcesIV.
    Dual 10" 500 Watt Subs

I will try to do that when I get the truck home. Its being towed now.

it sounds like a classic crank sensor problem
    99 grand cherokee...mine...gone... now its a 2011 toyota tacoma sport... double cab longbed 4.0 and the are cap to match... im loving it !

98 grand cherokee...wifes
    nothing special just jeeps.....

"GET THERE FAST BUT ARRIVE ALIVE "

automation is the future of manufacturing in the USA... if youre a box packer youre screwed. get educated now

my jeeps gone. two engines were just too much to handle. now i got me a toyota lets see how long that lasts

Update.

So We had the dealer replace both the crank sensor and cam sensor while it was in the shop. It wasn't too expensive. It appears the no start issue has returned. My GF is at work with the jeep now and it wouldn't start, turn over, or anything. Ideas.

Pardon my grammar, I'm kinda in a rush.. I'm having kind the same problem with mine. The dude found out the crank sensor was bad because at idle it shut off after awhile. He knew the crank sensor was bad because it was throwing the code P0320 and after a few minutes at idle it shut off, it got too hot and the PCM shut the engine off to do further damage. Thats why after a ferw minutes of cool down it start up and was good for another few minutes..The dude replaced the crank sensor and it was fine for 60 miles.. Now its even worse, throwing 6 codes: P0300, P0301, P0306, P0352, P0353, P1391. The first 3 have to do with misfires in cylinder 1 and 6, and other 3 tell me coil B and C are bad along with a cam sensor malfunction. I'm thinking in my case and maybe yours the PCM may be crapping out or the coil pack is bad..
    -Will
    2001 WJ 4.0 242TC 204k on body & trans, 24K on engine

BDS 2" Coils w/ Bilstein 5100's, Addco Rear Bar, I.R.O. Adj. A-Arm, Magnaflow Exhaust, Trans Cooler, HID Heads/Fogs, PIAA 520 SMR, Vinyl Hood Blackout, Bed-lined Cladding, I.R.O. Secondary S.S., Akebonos!, Stillens all-round, 4 Hole Injectors, K&N CAI, Alpine/Kicker Audio, 2 MTX 12'' Subs, JL Audio Amp, Overland Interior, Limited Grill & Gauges, Fender Blinkers, Black JK Rubis, 1" Wheel Spacers, Hankook Dynapro ATM 245/70/17

I will say that my car was fixed like 2 months ago around when I made this thread. I was just bumping it because of the issue coming back.

Except now it wouldn't start or anything. It wouldn't even turn over.

Does your car just die or what?

It used to die while moving, simply because ti got at a certain temperature. This was before the new Crank Position Sensor. But since that was replaced it was fine for 60 miles, and now the idling sputters btwn 300-800 and eventually dies. Since the idle is so rough I don't even think to put it into drive. Shop started diagnosing it today, so ill keep the thread updated.
    -Will

BDS 2" Coils w/ Bilstein 5100's, Addco Rear Bar, I.R.O. Adj. A-Arm, Magnaflow Exhaust, Trans Cooler, HID Heads/Fogs, PIAA 520 SMR, Vinyl Hood Blackout, Bed-lined Cladding, I.R.O. Secondary S.S., Akebonos!, Stillens all-round, 4 Hole Injectors, K&N CAI, Alpine/Kicker Audio, 2 MTX 12'' Subs, JL Audio Amp, Overland Interior, Limited Grill & Gauges, Fender Blinkers, Black JK Rubis, 1" Wheel Spacers, Hankook Dynapro ATM 245/70/17

if it doesnt turn over maybe your battery or starter is junk? check those out. maybe even a bad connection in the battery harness. clean both ends but do get that battery tested
    99 grand cherokee...mine...gone... now its a 2011 toyota tacoma sport... double cab longbed 4.0 and the are cap to match... im loving it !

98 grand cherokee...wifes
    nothing special just jeeps.....

"GET THERE FAST BUT ARRIVE ALIVE "

automation is the future of manufacturing in the USA... if youre a box packer youre screwed. get educated now

my jeeps gone. two engines were just too much to handle. now i got me a toyota lets see how long that lasts

Check your the battery with a voltmeter as well and check if the thing is producing a solid 12 volts.
    -Will

We had a stopping problem w/a 98 GC. After researching for weeks, I came across a post from an airplane mechanic who said he tore his GC apart to figure out why it stopped. He claimed that taking the screws out of the computer (two front facing ones-they weren't needed to hold anything together anyways ) solved the problem. He concluded these were creating an intermittent grounding that messed things up. I tried taking these screws out of the 98 GC and we didn't see the problem re-occur over the next few weeks.It usually appeared weekly. Don't know for sure if the car was fixed- my wife wouldn't let our daughter use it after that and we didn't bother to register it again.

Quote Originally Posted by billy mild View Post
    I will say that my car was fixed like 2 months ago around when I made this thread. I was just bumping it because of the issue coming back.

Except now it wouldn't start or anything. It wouldn't even turn over.

Does your car just die or what?
    This problem is not the same thing you had before - at all!!

The problem you are having now is almost 100% battery or battery cable related. It could be the starter but you really have not supplied enough information to diagnose that.
    When you try to start the car do you get and clicking or buzzing noises from the engine bay? Do you have lights, radio, gauges? If so, do they dim when trying to start the engine?
    Have you tried jump starting the engine? If so, what were the results? Did the engine turn over, or try to?

The first thing I would try is to take a set of jumper cables and try to start the engine.
    If that starts the car then my first stop would be an auto parts store and have a new battery installed.

On a side note, I make all of the women and girls in my family keep AAA on their cars. Dead batterys, flats, lock-outs, run out of fuel and towing are all things that they will come help with when I am unable to respond immediatly. It's very inexpensive peace of mind and, more often than not, gets them back up and running.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Got to the dealer and apparently started up no problem. So I think it could be a computer issue. Not really sure or the starter might be the issue. I will drive it and keep a hammer with me. The dealer is still looking at it.

The Jeep Dealer tried to start the car 65 times and it fired right up every single time. Any ideas what I should be looking at? It sounds like a fluke, but with fuel injection that shouldn't be possible. There are no fault codes, and they have had no issues starting it. They aren't charging me for anything, and don't want to throw parts at it.

Any comments would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by billy mild View Post
    The Jeep Dealer tried to start the car 65 times and it fired right up every single time. Any ideas what I should be looking at? It sounds like a fluke, but with fuel injection that shouldn't be possible. There are no fault codes, and they have had no issues starting it. They aren't charging me for anything, and don't want to throw parts at it.

Any comments would be helpful.
    It sounds like you have a fair and honest dealer. Wish more were like that!

When it gets home this is what I'd do;
    Remove, clean and tighten the battery cables - at both ends.
    Verify that the starter connections are clean and tight.
    Check all the ground wires for condition, clean and tight.
    Find the starter relay and either replace it or swap it with another relay in the box.
    Go by one of the auto parts stores that will check the battery and charging system - it's free.

And as I said above, look into AAA for the women in the family.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Is anyone else thinking fuel related, maybe the pump? Trouble cranking due to low pressure but then at the dealership it cranked fine 65 times due to good fuel flow.
    '04 WJ Laredo
    '03 WJ Overland - Gone

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG55 View Post
    This problem is not the same thing you had before - at all!!

The problem you are having now is almost 100% battery or battery cable related. It could be the starter but you really have not supplied enough information to diagnose that.
    When you try to start the car do you get and clicking or buzzing noises from the engine bay? Do you have lights, radio, gauges? If so, do they dim when trying to start the engine?
    Have you tried jump starting the engine? If so, what were the results? Did the engine turn over, or try to?

The first thing I would try is to take a set of jumper cables and try to start the engine.
    If that starts the car then my first stop would be an auto parts store and have a new battery installed.

On a side note, I make all of the women and girls in my family keep AAA on their cars. Dead batterys, flats, lock-outs, run out of fuel and towing are all things that they will come help with when I am unable to respond immediatly. It's very inexpensive peace of mind and, more often than not, gets them back up and running.
    what he said.

something as simple as poor connections on the battery terminals can cause strange things and its almost always tempermental just like you are experiencing. clear your codes and see which ones come back
    99 WJ 4.7 H.O. LTD QD
    K&N fipk, 4" IRO LA w/ 255/75/17 bfg km, 1.25 spidertrax, Rogues, Bilsteins, RB1, 3" Y back, Thule M.O.A.B., OBA System, Midland 75-822, 20% fronts, ARB + Superwinch, Flashpaq, Taurus elec fan, 180 stat, carolina driveline front shaft, jks discos + adj track bar, torque snip mod, overland sliders, obhs, dual battery,
    Zip Locker Front, all aluminum rad, 242HD in the garage

98XJ limited. stock. Sold.
    86MJ X 3" on 31s

We have come to conclusion my problem is different than yours, but mine got fixed. The last two crank sensors he replaced were duds apparently. I've put on 200 miles since he changed the third and last crank sensor with no problems whatsoever
    -Will

Okay little bump here. So instead of having my GF drive the Jeep I have been. Well last night I drove a short distance to the pharmacy. I was in there for maybe 20 minutes. Came out and the car wouldn't start, but what I did was the fuel pump prime up and then just "CLICK" tried to start it about 4 or 5 "CLICK" each time. Got out slammed the door shut. Got back in it and after two times its started right up no issue, and I have driven it 2 times since then and no issues.

Do you think my starter is going out? I am carrying a hammer with me just incase.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast