Thread: Would this prime the oil pump?

Now with longer arms!

Icon928 Would this prime the oil pump?

Okay, so long story short... Last week I did some semi-major engine work, including replacing the engine oil pump. It was very successful, until I hit a huge pot hole, hidden by an innocent looking puddle. This caused my steering stabilizer to slightly dent my oil pan. The dent came into contact with the end of the lower bolt holding the connecting rod of cly#3 together. I checked yesterday, & no serious damage, but I had to remove the oil pan to check & fix the dent.

I also noticed the pick up tube on the new pump was slightly loose. So I removed the pump fixed the pick up tube, & re-primed it the same way I did last week. The Haynes manual says to pour motor oil through the pick up tube, & manually turn the pump's drive shaft to prime it. It worked last week, but this week it didn't.

So, now I'm trying to avoid having to open the bottom of the engine again. Would this work? Removing the oil sensor from the back of the engine & pouring engine oil through that hole. My theory is that the oil will then be sitting on the top of the pump, & if I turn the engine crank shaft backwards by hand, then the pump will turn back wards, pulling the oil into the pump. Voila, pump primed... or no?

take the coil off and hook a drill to the distributor till you get oil pressure.

or you should be able to take the coil off and turn the motor over in short burst's to save the starter.

Quote Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
    take the coil off and hook a drill to the distributor till you get oil pressure.
    The cam turns the pump, that wont work. In the old days we would take a junk distributor with the cam gear ground off, But i'm not sure if these engines have the gear on the distributor. Also the cowl is in the way (assuming a V8) so you cant get a drill back there anyway.

So anyway I think the original idea might work, I did something like that once, with a pump that wouldnt prime. I didnt reverse the pump, just put oil in above so it would get into the pump gears, then cranked the engine and the pump primed.

Now with longer arms!

Cool, thanks. I'll give it a try.

Some road jurisdictions like your state road department will reimburse you for damage from the potholes in their roads. Of course you will need proof and that might be hard to get.

Now with longer arms!

Quote Originally Posted by georged View Post
    Some road jurisdictions like your state road department will reimburse you for damage from the potholes in their roads. Of course you will need proof and that might be hard to get.
    Harder than it's worth, I'm sure! It was a lot of work, but it only cost $30, & from my experience, it's much harder work to get anything out of a local government agency.

I recently read about pulling the oil filter, inserting a tube with funnel into the hole, and pouring oil in to fill the pump. I haven't done it and have no idea if it works, but thought I would toss that out there.

Now with longer arms!

As it turns out, the drive shaft on my new oil pump had fractured & the pump seized, so none of this worked for me.