Thread: ZJ Manual Trans?

Default ZJ Manual Trans?

Let me just apologize right off the bat if this has been discussed before. I did a search but didn't find much.

Does anyone have any thoughts on a manual trans conversion on a 95 v8 grand? Any transmissions that don't require driveshaft mods? What do you do about pedals? Tossing this idea around right now, not really all that serious about it at the moment.

Thanks everyone.
    95 zj, 5.2 v8, completely stock, for now
    87 xj with Chevy TPI 350, 700r4 trans
    Hybrid Chevy/Jeep NP231 case, Megasquirt ECU
    Extra leafs in rear, v8 grand springs up front
    31 x 10.5's, put to shame a pair of H2's in every way.

If you're gonna do it, make it your own!

Registered

Think the threads called "project never done" thunk its napsterzj that is in the process of doing this swap
    93 GC laredo, 5.2

4" RC x flex arms
    3/4" IRO isolators
    IRO F/R adj track bars
    8.8 swap w/ IRO bracket kit
    Solid Axle diff cover

You probably know about the factory '93 4.0 I6 that came with a manual tranny.

I don't know how adaptable it is to the 5.2 V8, though. Jeep never put a manual behind the V8.

Plus, they are very hard to find; weren't that many of them.
    Last edited by Tcar45; 01-13-2011 at 01:36 PM.
    94 5.2 Ltd.
    00 4.7 Ltd. Selec-trac
    98 5.9 Ltd.
    95 5.2 Ltd.
    62 CJ-5 - Chev 283 V8 - OD

There are several threads about this. Even a few successful conversions, as long as you conciede that perminatly having the CEL on can be considered successful.
    The question is, is the conversion worth it?
    IMHO, no, it is not. There is a ton of mechanical work to do and, it's my understanding, that you can never get the electronics to the point that you eliminate the CEL issue.
    Also, IMO, you basically destroy any real value that the Jeep has and drastically limit the pool of buyers when it's time to sell it. A conversion like that makes it basically a one-of-a-kind vehicle that will make it very hard to repair unless you are intimate with the conversion.
    I'm sure it is a very gratifing thing to do if you are inclined to do it. But if you just want a manual Jeep ther are lots of other, easier, less expensive options out there.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Audio/Offroad Enthusiast

If you really want to get a Manual that bad... You can fab up Dakota manual with LOTS AND LOTS of altering. You can even eliminate the CEL if you replace lots of wires too haha. Although it wouldn't be worth it =/
    1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0/AW4/NP231 '11-Present

Rusty's 4.5" lift with a saggy rear end =(
    Homemade PVC Snorkel
    30x9.5x15 BFG KM2 on ZJ Canyons
    &
    33x12.5x15 Dunlop Mud Rovers on Krager Soft 8's D Window

1996 ZJ Green '10-11 Ripping and scrapping
    1992 Acura Gen 2 '09-10 Beat but still runs great SOLD
    2006 Chevrolet Cavalier '07-09 2 motors in 6 months JUNK
    1992 Firebird Red V6 '07-07 sold immediately
    1996 ZJ Beije '05-07 Traded in(lemon)
    1997 TJ Red '04-06 Favorite but traded in for mom's H3 -.-

I completed the factory ax-15/231 swap that came in the 93-94 grands equipped with the 4.0l. They never made a 5 speed v8 grand. However, there are a lot of people that do a nv3550 or nv4550 swap behind the v8 grand cherokees. I believe those were either the dodge ram transmission or dakotas. The problem they ran into with those transmission were starter positions and pedals. If you search up NV3550 or NV4550 swaps on JU or JF(Jeep forum) You'll find information on that swap. I know on JF, there are a handful of ZJ-ers that have completed the v8 5 speed s
    Last edited by NapsterZJ; 01-12-2011 at 02:23 PM.
    1995 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Project Never Done...Build - 5 Speed swap and 4x4 conversion - Complete
    and a stock 99 WJ

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG55 View Post
    There are several threads about this. Even a few successful conversions, as long as you conciede that perminatly having the CEL on can be considered successful.
    The question is, is the conversion worth it?
    IMHO, no, it is not. There is a ton of mechanical work to do and, it's my understanding, that you can never get the electronics to the point that you eliminate the CEL issue.
    on a OBD1 ZJ with a V8 it's not a concern since the trans is hydraulic, and you can swap out the OD OFF button/rear wiper control/rear defrost control out for a AW4 ZJ or a 5 speed ZJ that doesn't have the OD OFF button. it's plug and play.

on a OBD2 ZJ, there's custom programmers that can take care of the CEL for a price.
    slate 5.9 Limited, 6" lift, IRO/JKS/OME/Bilstein, 285's, Ford 8.8 w/Artec truss, '95 ZJ NP231 w/Novak shift cable & full SYE, straight piped, 6 pass trans cooler, police pkg alt, Optima Red, ZG front markers, front park light & turn mod, quad tails, Boston Acoustic/JL's, in dash flip up DVD, black windows, U jointed shafts all around, tow pkg & U.C.

Stone white 5.9 on 30's, glass ECE's w/custom harness, u jointed front driveshaft, clear corners. Pretty much bone stock, and will stay that way

Quote Originally Posted by NapsterZJ View Post
    I completed the factory ax-15/231 swap that came in the 93-94 grands equipped with the 4.0l. They never made a 5 speed v8 grand. However, there are a lot of people that do a nv3550 or nv4550 swap behind the v8 grand cherokees. I believe those were either the dodge ram transmission or dakotas. The problem they ran into with those transmission were starter positions and pedals. If you search up NV3550 or NV4550 swaps on JU or JF(Jeep forum) You'll find information on that swap. I know on JF, there are a handful of ZJ-ers that have completed the v8 5 speed s

what did you do about pedals? Were you able to source a original ZJ pedal cluster?
    94 ZJ/Hunter Green/4.0L/42RE/242/Leather (Daily)
    63MM Throttle body
    K&N FIPK
    99+ Intake Manifold/Injectors/FPR.

2011 Mini Cooper Countryman S

2001 BMW S54 M-Coupe

Thanks for the links and the input. I think if I did go for this I would probably go for the nv4500/4550. I've got a lot of things on my mind I'd like to do before this becomes a real possibility. I can't help but imagine how much more fun and usable this vehicle would be for me personally if it was a manual. I'm not afraid of the work involved. I'm more nervous about the cost and time required to pull it off.

95 zj, 5.2 v8, completely stock, for now
    87 xj with Chevy TPI 350, 700r4 trans
    Hybrid Chevy/Jeep NP231 case, Megasquirt ECU
    Extra leafs in rear, v8 grand springs up front
    31 x 10.5's, put to shame a pair of H2's in every way.

If you're gonna do it, make it your own!

Quote Originally Posted by cs350xj View Post
    Thanks for the links and the input. I think if I did go for this I would probably go for the nv4500/4550. I've got a lot of things on my mind I'd like to do before this becomes a real possibility. I can't help but imagine how much more fun and usable this vehicle would be for me personally if it was a manual. I'm not afraid of the work involved. I'm more nervous about the cost and time required to pull it off.

it's going to be too big to fit the tunnel.

the one I've seen pix of used a 3550 out of a TJ. you will need a set of block hugger headers, custom exh Y pipe fabbed up.

look....please search, it's been covered before. look for a 5 speed swap to a 6 cyl and that covers a lot of the info, the rest you will need a dakota bell housing, dakota starter, and wire the starter wires yourself.

I looked in to this for my old '93 V8 and it's actually easier to do this to a '93-95 ZJ.
    slate 5.9 Limited, 6" lift, IRO/JKS/OME/Bilstein, 285's, Ford 8.8 w/Artec truss, '95 ZJ NP231 w/Novak shift cable & full SYE, straight piped, 6 pass trans cooler, police pkg alt, Optima Red, ZG front markers, front park light & turn mod, quad tails, Boston Acoustic/JL's, in dash flip up DVD, black windows, U jointed shafts all around, tow pkg & U.C.

Stone white 5.9 on 30's, glass ECE's w/custom harness, u jointed front driveshaft, clear corners. Pretty much bone stock, and will stay that way

Quote Originally Posted by sev View Post
    what did you do about pedals? Were you able to source a original ZJ pedal cluster?

funny story...theres actually the original 5 speed donor sitting in my garage, so accessing parts was quite convenient
    1995 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Project Never Done...Build - 5 Speed swap and 4x4 conversion - Complete
    and a stock 99 WJ

ya i know, your brother sends me pix to my BlackBerry

Default 93-95 zj v8 manual conversion

i was told i can have a used tranny and pedals that will fit for $365, from my research on oem mopar parts web sites,they do make a computer for a 94 5 speed zj with a v8,i have a mopar performance computer on my 94 zj,will i have to buy another computer?what will happen if i try to us my computer with a manual 5 speed tranny?guy where i get all my jeep parts didnt seem to be concerned at all about any problems doing this conversion,i want to do this conversion, but i dont want to go thru the whole process and it be not right

Quote Originally Posted by cs350xj View Post

NV4550 is a truck trans, basically a 4-speed with granny gear. Its huge and super heavy, expensive, has long travel on the shifter and wide ratio gearing, wouldn't want one in my ZJ, I suppose it would be good for certain things but the NV3550 is better for all around drivability for a ZJ, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan126 View Post
    i was told i can have a used tranny and pedals that will fit for $365, from my research on oem mopar parts web sites,they do make a computer for a 94 5 speed zj with a v8,i have a mopar performance computer on my 94 zj,will i have to buy another computer?what will happen if i try to us my computer with a manual 5 speed tranny?guy where i get all my jeep parts didnt seem to be concerned at all about any problems doing this conversion,i want to do this conversion, but i dont want to go thru the whole process and it be not right
    no....they don't make a V8 stick ZJ computer.

besides...it will not matter....the first 3 gears in the 93-95 V8 ZJ trans is HYDRAULICALLY controlled. the computer controls the OD function. all that trans is, is an old school 60's technology based 727 TF trans with a chitty over drive unit bolted to the back of it for 4th gear. the computer will not know the difference if you have a stick behind it or not. like i said earlier go find a panel for the rear defrost and wear wiper out of a AW4 ZJ or 5 speed ZJ. that will take care of the OD off button being in the way.

Don't poke the bear...

Read the thread in this link & take a look at the AX-15 compatible bellhousing labeled #5 in the picture. It's from a 94-99 Dakota 3.9L V6 & connects all to any 3.9L V6 and any 273/318/340/360 V8, Magnum 5.2\5.9 V8, 5.7L Hemi V8 and Jeep 2.8L CRD Turbo Diesel.

http://highdesertoff-road.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
    Read the thread in this link & take a look at the AX-15 compatible bellhousing labeled #5 in the picture. It's from a 94-99 Dakota 3.9L V6 & connects all to any 3.9L V6 and any 273/318/340/360 V8, Magnum 5.2\5.9 V8, 5.7L Hemi V8 and Jeep 2.8L CRD Turbo Diesel.

http://highdesertoff-road.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65

Max
    yep, already knew that. what the point people are missing is: Jeep starters are on the PASS side.....dodge truck starters are on the DRIVER side. so you're looking at headers to clear motor mount, the starter on the driver side, a starter to fit in that space, and a custom Y pipe bent up to clear the starter-front driveshaft-oil pan-transmission. plus extending all the wiring for the starter too.